[comp.ai] Harold Cohen's AARON project

abosse@reed.UUCP (Arno Bosse) (04/07/91)

I am looking for some information on Harold Cohen's AARON project, which
attempted to teach a computer how to draw 'art.'

I have quite a few references to articles in the 80's (Leonardo, Angewandte
Informatik, Visual Computer etc.) but nothing (to my knowledge) within the
last year or so.

Is this project still current?

Any further leads much appreciated,

Arno Bosse
Reed College
abosse@reed.edu

erkamp@arc.ab.ca (Bob Erkamp) (04/08/91)

In article <16300@reed.UUCP> abosse@reed.UUCP (Arno Bosse) writes:
>I am looking for some information on Harold Cohen's AARON project, which
>attempted to teach a computer how to draw 'art.'
>
>I have quite a few references to articles in the 80's (Leonardo, Angewandte
>Informatik, Visual Computer etc.) but nothing (to my knowledge) within the
>last year or so.
>
>Is this project still current?
>
>Any further leads much appreciated,

There is a book available called "Aaron's Code". I don't have the particulars
with me but I have just ordered it myself and if you need more information
send me mail.

Bob

mt@debussy.media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael Travers) (04/10/91)

In article <16300@reed.UUCP> abosse@reed.UUCP (Arno Bosse) writes:

   I am looking for some information on Harold Cohen's AARON project, which
   attempted to teach a computer how to draw 'art.'

   I have quite a few references to articles in the 80's (Leonardo, Angewandte
   Informatik, Visual Computer etc.) but nothing (to my knowledge) within the
   last year or so.

A book on Aaron just came out this year, "Aaron's Code" by Pamela
McCorduck.  Dunno if it is detailed enough to be useful.  Cohen
himself is not very forthcoming with information that would let one
duplicate his efforts.

rapaport@acsu.buffalo.edu (William J. Rapaport) (04/17/91)

In article <16300@reed.UUCP> abosse@reed.UUCP (Arno Bosse) writes:
>I am looking for some information on Harold Cohen's AARON project, which
>attempted to teach a computer how to draw 'art.'

There's a new book:

Pamela McCorduck, Aaron's Code: Meta-Art, Artificial Intelligence,
and the Work of Harold Cohen, New York ,W.H.Freeman and Company, 1991

A review of this book by Susan Josephson is forthcoming in the journal _Minds &
Machines_.
			William J. Rapaport
			Associate Professor of Computer Science
			Center for Cognitive Science

Dept. of Computer Science||internet:  rapaport@cs.buffalo.edu
SUNY Buffalo		 ||bitnet:    rapaport@sunybcs.bitnet
Buffalo, NY 14260	 ||uucp: {rutgers,uunet}!cs.buffalo.edu!rapaport
(716) 636-3193, 3180     ||fax:  (716) 636-3464