[comp.ai] RETE algorithm

brinkema@fjc.GOV (John R. Brinkema) (04/12/91)

In the many articles about the RETE algorithm that I've read, no one
has mentioned where the name 'RETE' comes/came from.  Anyone know?  jb.

NORVIG@Teak.Berkeley.EDU (Peter Norvig) (04/13/91)

"Rete" comes from the Latin for "network".  Webster's says:

  rete N /'ret-e, 'rat-/
    : pl
 also retia /'ret-e-*, 'rat-/
  [NL, fr. L, net -- more at RETINA]
     1 : a network esp. of blood vessels or nerves : PLEXUS
     2 : an anatomical part resembling or including a network

minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) (04/13/91)

In article <397@fjcp60.GOV> brinkema@fjc.GOV (John R. Brinkema) writes:
>In the many articles about the RETE algorithm that I've read, no one
>has mentioned where the name 'RETE' comes/came from.  Anyone know?  jb.

webster rete
re.te \'re-t-e-, 'ra-t-\ \'re-t-e--*, 'ra-t-\ n or re.tia [NL, fr. L,
net -
   more at RETINA] pl  1: a network esp. of blood vessels or nerves :

gowj@novavax.UUCP (James Gow) (04/17/91)

In article <5651@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> minsky@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Marvin Minsky) writes:
>In article <397@fjcp60.GOV> brinkema@fjc.GOV (John R. Brinkema) writes:
>>In the many articles about the RETE algorithm that I've read, no one
>>has mentioned where the name 'RETE' comes/came from.  Anyone know?  jb.

Dr. MInsky,
   It occurs to me to ask after reading your classic frames article and P.H.
Winston in our search to provide good repreenstations of knowledge whether
or not the representations are paired in any way to the machine and its
ability to electronically support that representation or whether or not we
are building machines to match the representations we construct
theoretically. I see the human brain and its mental processes as a perfect
synergetic match between structure and process. I know we haven't reached
this in AI but do we look at it and if so what progress have we made?
linc
james