[comp.ai] <None>

jgdavis@waikato.ac.nz (10/18/90)

In article <2067@jimi.cs.unlv.edu>, maniac@sonny-boy.cs.unlv.edu (Eric J. Schwertfeger) writes:
> In article <3649@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) writes:
> ) In article <69367@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> loren@tristan.llnl.gov (Loren
> ) Petrich) writes: (I may have the attribution wrong)
> )
>
> 	This is exactly why it seems that AI has made so little progress
> to some people.  I'm in a 400-level Intro to AI class now, and our
> definition of AI is basically "whatever we haven't figured out how
> to do yet."  As soon as AI research refines the methods, the problem
> falls out of the AI category.
>
> 	Playing chess was originally considered an AI field.  Well, that
> research resulted in machines that now play low-Grand-Master level chess.
> The problem is no longer considered AI as much, since we've had success.
>
> --

> Eric J. Schwertfeger, maniac@jimi.cs.unlv.edu

Chess playing programs are and continue be thought of as work in the
AI field to the extent none ( to the best of my knowledge) are based
entirely on brute force search.  If they are not in AI , I wonder
what you would call that work,

-Joseph G. Davis

landretti@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Greg Landretti) (01/15/91)

Gregory J. Landretti N9HCY
2300 Rugby Row, Madison, WI 53705  (608) 238-1323
WI Department of Revenue, P.O. Box 8933, Madison, WI 53708 (608) 266-8202
Internet: landretti@vms.macc.wisc.edu
Bitnet:   landretti@wiscmacc

piernot@mcs-ipc-3.Stanford.EDU (Philippe Piernot) (05/11/91)

I am looking for an idea to startup a company in the sillicon valley.
I would like to know what seems to be the most promising market in the
3 coming years according to you?

Thanx

scotp@csc2.essex.ac.uk (Scott P D) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May9.155554@mcs-ipc-3.Stanford.EDU> piernot@mcs-ipc-3.Stanford.EDU (Philippe Piernot) writes:
>I am looking for an idea to startup a company in the sillicon valley.
>I would like to know what seems to be the most promising market in the
>3 coming years according to you?

How about setting up a consultancy that specializes in advising people
who want to start companies in Silicon Valley about the most promising
markets?  I am sure there is a lot of demand for this kind of advice.

Paul Scott, Dept Computer Science, University of Essex, Colchester, UK.

gowj@novavax.UUCP (James Gow) (05/16/91)

In article <5134@servax0.essex.ac.uk> scotp@essex.ac.uk (Scott P D) writes:
>In article <1991May9.155554@mcs-ipc-3.Stanford.EDU> piernot@mcs-ipc-3.Stanford.EDU (Philippe Piernot) writes:
>>I am looking for an idea to startup a company in the sillicon valley.
>>I would like to know what seems to be the most promising market in the
>>3 coming years according to you?

Actually there are some companies being started to advise on products as by
products of the space program. I thin for about $10,000 you can get access
to their database and find some very interesting discoveries.
linc
james