[comp.ai] K. T. Fann's thesis on abduction.

skhadye@uceng.UC.EDU (Shankar P. Khadye) (05/11/91)

Hello netters,

I am reading Fann's thesis on Peirce's theory of abduction. In it,
Fann has referred to Barbara, as in - " ... can be reduced to Barbara."
and so on. Can anybody elaborate on it?

Thanks.

	       ......Shankar P. Khadye

rar@saturn.ads.com (Bob Riemenschneider) (05/11/91)

"Barbara" refers to the following (valid) mode of the syllogism:

	All A's are B's
	All B's are C's
        ---------------
        All A's are C's

In teaching "classical logic", vowels `A', `E', `I', and `O' are
associated the "All", "No", "Some", and "Some not" of the Aristotelean
square of opposition.  Then consonants are added to the vowel triplets
corresponding to valid modes, making names (e.g., "AAA" -> "bArbArA")
which are used as a mnemonic.  Nobody seems to learn them all -- or
worry much about the theory of the syllogism for that matter -- these
days, but somehow "Barbara" alone has survived as common logical
parlance.

							-- rar

scotp@csc2.essex.ac.uk (Scott P D) (05/12/91)

In article <8409@uceng.UC.EDU> skhadye@uceng.UC.EDU (Shankar P. Khadye) writes:
>I am reading Fann's thesis on Peirce's theory of abduction. In it,
>Fann has referred to Barbara, as in - " ... can be reduced to Barbara."
>and so on. Can anybody elaborate on it?

It comes from a medieval mnemonic poem devised to help one remember which
syllogisms are valid.  It is of course in Latin and goes as follows:-

     Barbara celarent darii ferio baralipton
     Celantes dabitis fapesmo frisesomorum;
     Cesare camestres festino baroco; darapti
     Felapton disamis datisi bocardo ferison.

Every word in the poem corresponds to a valid syllogism.  The rules for
interpreting the mnemonic are themselves quite complicated.  A partial
explanation is given in Delong's "A Profile of Mathematical Logic", which
was also my source for the full text of the poem (not all mnemonics are
easy to remember!).

However you probably only want to know which syllogism 'Barbara' denotes.
It is simply

	   If every Y is Z
	   And every X is Y
	   Then every X is Z

Paul Scott, Dept Computer Science, University of Essex, Colchester, UK.

hah@ztivax.UUCP (Dr. Hans Hellendoorn) (05/24/91)

In article <8409@uceng.UC.EDU> skhadye@uceng.UC.EDU (Shankar P. Khadye) writes:
>I am reading Fann's thesis on Peirce's theory of abduction. In it,
>Fann has referred to Barbara, as in - " ... can be reduced to Barbara."
>and so on. Can anybody elaborate on it?
>
>	       ......Shankar P. Khadye

I can advise you to read the book of Jan Lukasiewisz, "Aristotle's
Syllogistic - from the standpoint of modern formal logic",
Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1951.

The Barbara is the most simple and well known syllogism, like
  All man are mortal,
  All Greeks are men,
     therefore
  All Greeks are mortal.

These are three A-sentences, therefore bArbArA. There are E, I
and O sentences too, forming moods like the Fesapo:
  All B is A
  No C is B
     therefore
  Some A is not C,

like the Fresison:
  Some B is A
  No C is B
     therefore
  Some A is not C,

and the well known Datisi, written in a style that better
corresponds to Aristotle's original texts:
  A belongs to all B
  C belongs to some B
     therefore
  A belongs to some C

A recent contribution on the field of syllogisms that I
found most interesting is from a Soviet scientist:
S.V. Chesnokov, "The Effect of Semantic Freedom in the
Logic of Natural Language", Fuzzy Sets and Systems
22(1987)121-154.

Hans Hellendoorn