[comp.ai] Genetic algorithms wanted

steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Gavin Steyn ) (05/25/91)

I'm just starting to do some research into GAs, and I've read numerous
papers.  However, I think some actual simple algorithms would help my
understanding a lot.  Does anyone know of any actual algorithms that are
publicly available?
  Thanks,
Gavin Steyn
steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu (George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University) (05/30/91)

In article <43727@netnews.upenn.edu>, steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Gavin Steyn ) writes:
> I'm just starting to do some research into GAs, and I've read numerous
> papers.  However, I think some actual simple algorithms would help my
> understanding a lot.  Does anyone know of any actual algorithms that are
> publicly available?
>   Thanks,
> Gavin Steyn
> steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

I'd like the same information also.  My only real source for basic information
on genetic algorithms has been the April '91 issue of Dr. Dobbs, some old
AI-EXPERT's, and a book that I'm ordering (_Genetic Algorithms in Searching,
Optinization and Machine Learning_ by Goldberg [Addison-Wesley]).  Can anyone
deliver any additional pointers?

I am working on a research contract in which we'll have to apply some genetic
algorithms.  I HATE reinventing the wheel when someone has a better algorithm.

George......

-- George C. Harrison                              -----------------------
----- Professor of Computer Science                -----------------------
----- Norfolk State University                     -----------------------
----- 2401 Corprew Avenue, Norfolk, Virginia 23504 -----------------------
----- INTERNET:  g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu ---------------------------------

skipper@diku.dk (Jakob Skipper) (05/30/91)

In article <43727@netnews.upenn.edu>, steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Gavin Steyn ) writes:
> I'm just starting to do some research into GAs, and I've read numerous
> papers.  However, I think some actual simple algorithms would help my
> understanding a lot.  Does anyone know of any actual algorithms that are
> publicly available?
>   Thanks,
> Gavin Steyn
> steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

There is a system for experimenting with GA's. It is called GENESIS. Here
you have a copy of a post of its release and of how you can get it.