[comp.ai] EBG algorithm in Common Lisp

tusveld@hcsrnd.UUCP (Fred Tusveld) (06/14/91)

Hello,

I'm wondering if someone out there has 'ported' the EBG algorithm (from
Kedar-Cabelli and McCarty in Proc. Machine Learning Workshop 1987) to
Common Lisp.
The algorithm as described in [Kedar-Cabelli and McCarty 87] is written
in Prolog, and is very short therefore. In CL a backward chainer would be
needed, plus the ported algorithm written on top of that.

Thanks in advance,

Fred Tusveld
ICT
Landdrostlaan 51, 7302 HA Apeldoorn The Netherlands
tel. +31 55 498600
hcsrnd!tusveld@hp4nl.nl
or hcsrnd!tusveld@relay.EU.net

kadie@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) (06/17/91)

tusveld@hcsrnd.UUCP (Fred Tusveld) writes:
[...]
>I'm wondering if someone out there has 'ported' the EBG algorithm (from
>Kedar-Cabelli and McCarty in Proc. Machine Learning Workshop 1987) to
>Common Lisp.
[...]

If you have a unifier in Common Lisp, you can write a one-line EBG
algorithm. It is given chapter 2, section 4 of

@incollection{Mooney90, key="Mooney90",
Author="Mooney, R. J.",
Title="Explanation Generalization in {E}ggs",
publisher="Morgan Kaufmann",
Booktitle="Case Studies in EBL",
editor="DeJong, J. F.",
year=1990, pages="29 pages"}

This is a great chapter. It describes the similarity and differences
among all the best-known EBG alorithms.
--
Carl Kadie -- kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign