[comp.ai] MUSIC AND AI

ka2cs220@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Steve Berkley) (06/04/91)

If anyone has any suggestions concerning applications of
learning systems in a specialized domain of "automatic
composition" of music, I would appreciate it.  I am researching
the feasability of a real-time (NN?) automatic composition program
in C, fed with MIDI data.

e-mail replies to ka2cs220@uhura.cc.rochester.edu or post
-Steve Berkley

cain@ics.uci.edu (Timothy Cain) (06/04/91)

In <14344@ur-cc.UUCP> ka2cs220@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Steve Berkley) writes:
>If anyone has any suggestions concerning applications of
>learning systems in a specialized domain of "automatic
>composition" of music, I would appreciate it.  I am researching
>the feasability of a real-time (NN?) automatic composition program
>in C, fed with MIDI data.

At AAAI-88 in Minneapolis-St.Paul, there was a workshop on this topic.
You might want to track down its proceedings (the workshop's, not
AAAI's). I don't have it, since I was next door in the planning
workshop. Unlike those systems, please include a volume control
parameter on your program.  :-)

Tim.

--
Timothy D. Cain
Department of Information and Computer Science  UC Irvine

eiverson@nmsu.edu (Eric Iverson) (06/04/91)

In article <284AB4A5.28201@ics.uci.edu> cain@ics.uci.edu (Timothy Cain) writes:

> At AAAI-88 in Minneapolis-St.Paul, there was a workshop on this topic.
> You might want to track down its proceedings (the workshop's, not
> AAAI's). I don't have it, since I was next door in the planning
> workshop. Unlike those systems, please include a volume control
> parameter on your program.  :-)

I have a copy of those proceedings, but would be interested in a copy
of the proceedings for the workshop at AAAI-89 in Detroit.  Anyone
interested in a trade?  Also, what happened at the workshop at ECAI
'90?  I don't recall seeing anything about it here.

Eric Iverson				Internet: eiverson@nmsu.edu
Computing Research Lab
Box 30001/3CRL				Life is something to do when
New Mexico State University		you can't get to sleep.
Las Cruces, NM 88003-0001			-Fran Lebowitz
VOICE: (505) 646-5711
FAX:   (505) 646-6218

punch@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (Bill Punch) (06/05/91)

I have a copy of both the AAAI 88 and the IJCAI 89 conferences, both
containing interesting material. But if you REALLY want to get a lot of
stuff, take a look at the ICMC (International Computer Music Conference)
from almost any year. AI applications (including neural nets) are
interspersed througout. Some are rather outrageous but many are very
interesting. The 91 conference will be held in Montreal on Oct 16-21 at
McGill University, by the way.

					>>>bill punch<<<
					AI/KBS Lab, Mich State.
					punch@pleiades.cps.msu.edu

eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) (06/09/91)

;
;> At AAAI-88 in Minneapolis-St.Paul, there was a workshop on this topic.
;> You might want to track down its proceedings (the workshop's, not
;> AAAI's). I don't have it, since I was next door in the planning
;> workshop. Unlike those systems, please include a volume control
;> parameter on your program.  :-)
;
;I have a copy of those proceedings, but would be interested in a copy
;of the proceedings for the workshop at AAAI-89 in Detroit.  Anyone
;interested in a trade?

I have those proceedings, and there wasn't one article worth reading.

cmunday@gara.une.oz.au (Craig Munday) (06/13/91)

ka2cs220@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Steve Berkley) writes:

>If anyone has any suggestions concerning applications of
>learning systems in a specialized domain of "automatic
>composition" of music, I would appreciate it.  I am researching
>the feasability of a real-time (NN?) automatic composition program
>in C, fed with MIDI data.

    Can any one fill me in on the definition of a real-time composition
program?  Is the term suggesting that a computer is being used to actually
compose and play music.  I myself can not accept the fact that computers can
compose music.  Music is suppose to be an expression of ones inner feelings,
and because it comes from within it has a great power to move people into
different spheres.  The feeling that is present in music of the past has
induced greated pride in ones country, I doubt that a machine can come close
to providing this attribute of music.
    Convince me that a computer can provide the necessary feeling that music
needs.  Somethings may better be left alone.

reccmo@uts.uni-c.dk (Christian Mondrup) (06/14/91)

In <6983@gara.une.oz.au> cmunday@gara.une.oz.au (Craig Munday) writes:

>ka2cs220@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Steve Berkley) writes:

>>If anyone has any suggestions concerning applications of
>>learning systems in a specialized domain of "automatic
>>composition" of music, I would appreciate it.  I am researching
>>the feasability of a real-time (NN?) automatic composition program
>>in C, fed with MIDI data.

>    Can any one fill me in on the definition of a real-time composition
>program?  Is the term suggesting that a computer is being used to actually
>compose and play music.  I myself can not accept the fact that computers can
>compose music.  Music is suppose to be an expression of ones inner feelings,
>and because it comes from within it has a great power to move people into
>different spheres.  The feeling that is present in music of the past has
>induced greated pride in ones country, I doubt that a machine can come close
>to providing this attribute of music.
>    Convince me that a computer can provide the necessary feeling that music
>needs.  Somethings may better be left alone.

I have just been reading Douglas Hofstaedter's book 'Goedel, Escher, Bach',
where he insists that it is possible and desirable too to model a human mind
complete with feelings etc. into a machine. As Hofstaedter is much interested
in music he specifically deals with the problem of a 'machine composer' and
says that you may very well imagine such a thing.

I am not convinced that your statement 'music is suppose to be an expression
of ones inner feelings' is always true. Sometimes I think it's just playing
with aesthetic matherials, for which purpose you may very well use a computer
as a helping tool for composing (Xenakis etc.) - both beautiful and great
music may come out of that. But whether music is expressing feelings or just
playing I too can't see the point in developing ai for automatic composing.

hotline_muh@rtots1.enet.dec.com (Sammy Fischer) (06/14/91)

In article <6983@gara.une.oz.au>, cmunday@gara.une.oz.au (Craig Munday) writes...

[Quotes and some lines deleted]
>compose and play music.  I myself can not accept the fact that computers can
>compose music.  Music is suppose to be an expression of ones inner feelings,
>and because it comes from within it has a great power to move people into
>different spheres.  The feeling that is present in music of the past has
>induced greated pride in ones country, I doubt that a machine can come close
>to providing this attribute of music.

I don't think that the feelings you get from listening to a piece of music are
always the feelings the composer had when he wrote it down. (especially when
listening to mainstream pop (which I do not;')) ...
 The composer has an Idea of what he WANTS the audience to feel, and tries to
translate it into music notes.
So ... Why couldn't computers, provided with the feeling that is to be
'produced' and some typical patterns which occure in this sort (e.g. producing
the same 'feelings') of music, compose something enjoyable?

>    Convince me that a computer can provide the necessary feeling that music
>needs.  Somethings may better be left alone.

just tried to.

byebye,
sammy
-----
* 			Sammy Fischer, Munich, Germany	                      *
*		          (hotline_muh@rtots1.dec.com)                        *
*	'I thought I was a slice of Lemon jumpin' in a Gin tonic'	      *
*				             (Ford Perfect)		      *
All Standart Disclaimer applying!

bsmith@turing.seas.ucla.edu (Brian Smith) (06/18/91)

I think the whole point about using a machine for automated composition isn't
so much replacing the human composer.  As someone commented, the computer has
been used by many composers as a tool for structuring the many variables of
music.  We should look at this aspect of computers as a positive, an assist to
the actual human who's writing the piece.

From an AI standpoint, again, I don't think we should be looking at CPU's as the
next Beethoven.  However, the processes of creativity really aren't clearly
understood, and perhaps we can learn something by trying to model artistic
behavior with a computer.  After all, musical composition is really (being a
bit oversimplistic here) just a very sophisticated planning system, is it not?
There was an argument that music is an expression of feeling (which some may
argue with, i.e. Cage); in that case, shouldn't we examine HOW emotions and
affect influence a musician's plans to reach the goal of a musical piece?

Who knows?  It probably can't be realized -- MacBach.  Yet, I see any such
endeavor as a useful task despite the fact that we generally consider music to
be connected to humans.Besides, all art forms must be opened up to new ideas
or else they become stagnant; the musical revolutions of the 20th century are
evidence to support this.  Maybe, the computer is the key to push the bounds
and traditions of music into its next phase of growth.

Brian K. Smith			soon to be:
RAND Corporation		University of Leeds
1700 Main Street		School of Computer Studies, AI Group
Santa Monica, CA		Leeds, LS2 9JT
				United Kingdom

eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) (06/20/91)

In article <3084@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> bsmith@turing.seas.ucla.edu (Brian Smith) writes:
;                 However, the processes of creativity really aren't clearly
;understood, and perhaps we can learn something by trying to model artistic
;behavior with a computer.  After all, musical composition is really (being a
;bit oversimplistic here) just a very sophisticated planning system, is it not?

The problem is setting constraints for the planner, ie, what constitutes
an admissable "move," so to speak. (Allowing a second simplification of
restricting possible musical actions, but that's like restricting yourself
to a couple of tom-toms -- the nature of problem isn't altered).  Musical
constraints are exceptionally difficult to get a hold of, because they are
cognitive, cultural and volatile, rather than formalistic and invariant.
Almost certainly the same is true of creativity.

It's much more interesting to focus on the listener, because apprehension
is the simplest act of creativity.

bsmith@turing.seas.ucla.edu (Brian Smith) (06/25/91)

In article <10936@idunno.Princeton.EDU> eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) writes:

>The problem is setting constraints for the planner, ie, what constitutes
>an admissable "move," so to speak. (Allowing a second simplification of
>restricting possible musical actions, but that's like restricting yourself
>to a couple of tom-toms -- the nature of problem isn't altered).  Musical
>constraints are exceptionally difficult to get a hold of, because they are
>cognitive, cultural and volatile, rather than formalistic and invariant.
>Almost certainly the same is true of creativity.

Yeah, I can buy that.  However, I don't think we should be thinking about
planning in the GPS sense of initial state leads to goal state thrugh a series
of operators.  In a sense, we have to redefine the notion of planning for the
musical realm.  The very fact that MOST composers have to go through extensive
periods of refinement as well as complete goal alteration (or, at least, I
certainly do) leads me to thing that some sort of "weak" or thematic planner
is necessary to perform the task.

As well, I see your point about the constraints, and I've certainly argued that
autonomous composers lack depth due to the fact that they lack cultural,
competence, and performance knowledge.  And yet, to oversimply again, couldn't
we provide the information to the machine in, say, rules or connectionist
paradigms?

>It's much more interesting to focus on the listener, because apprehension
>is the simplest act of creativity.

Listening is pretty fascinating stuff, but I think that composition is a much
more interesting problem since one can't compose without listening.  To some
extent, everyone is a composer (i.e. humming arbitrary tunes, melodic contours
in speech, etc.), so it does seem to be a worthwhile area of study.  Once the
knwoledge gained through listening is captured, how do we use it in the
performance domain?

-- brian

ISSSSM@NUSVM.BITNET (Stephen Smoliar) (06/26/91)

In article <3191@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> bsmith@turing.seas.ucla.edu (Brian Smith)
writes:
>In article <10936@idunno.Princeton.EDU> eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot
>Handelman) writes:
>>
>>It's much more interesting to focus on the listener, because apprehension
>>is the simplest act of creativity.
>
>Listening is pretty fascinating stuff, but I think that composition is a much
>more interesting problem since one can't compose without listening.

Where have you been for the last forty years, Brian?  Following the Second
World War, there was no end of experimentation in music;  and much of which
emerged had nothing to do with listening (at least at the time of composition).
The early days of computer-synthesized sounds provide a good case in point.
Composers often labored long and hard to debug the theoretical formulation
of what they wanted yet rarely had much intuition regarding what the tape would
sound like when all the processing was done.  You may wish to take the ethical
position that one OUGHT NOT to compose without listening, but do not expect all
practicing composers to accept that position.

>  To some
>extent, everyone is a composer (i.e. humming arbitrary tunes, melodic contours
>in speech, etc.), so it does seem to be a worthwhile area of study.

I think you are homing in on an important point here, Brian;  and I would like
to try to push it a bit further.  What you are really talking about here is
BEHAVIOR, and one of my favorite hobby-horses is that there is more to behavior
than can be captured in logical calculi or neural nets.  The trouble is that we
to not do a terribly good job when it comes to DESCRIBING such behavior.  The
sorts of protocol analyses which were performed by Newell and Simon were little
more than self-fulfilling prophecies--descriptions based on a foundation of
symbol manipulation which they assumed HAD to be there.  Music, on the other
hand, does not lend itself to such symbol-based descriptions because, as Ed
Hall has been suggesting on comp.music, the actual PRACTICE of MAKING MUSIC
has precious little to do with the symbols of music notation.  Getting a
MACHINE to "make music" (i.e. to exhibit such behavior) may thus be viewed
as a major challenge to artificial intelligence, because it is an aspect of
behavior which has been ignored (and certainly not accounted for) by most of
the progress in AI to date.

>  Once the
>knwoledge gained through listening is captured, how do we use it in the
>performance domain?

This is another example of how thinking about music should force us to expand
the current horizons of artificial intelligence.  Much of the artificial
intelligence community seems inclined to live in a world in which "learning"
is a matter of adding declarative sentences to some kind of "knowledge base."
However, the above sentence captures an element of learning which is much
truer to behavior as we know it:  How one behaves "in the performance domain"
is a reflection of what has happened during past listening experiences.  This
is not a new idea Brian.  Quite some time ago, Minsky wrote a wonderful essay
on the role of a musical composition AS TEACHER.  Unfortunately, we have made
precious little progress in implementing any of these ideas.

Nevertheless, those ideas still deserve more attention.  After reading Volume
47 of ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, we should be at least SKEPTICAL about what
logical calculi can ultimately offer us.  At the very least, we should be
encouraged to work on problems which logic does not "fit" as comfortably
as it does is, for example, choosing the parameters for the design of an
elevator system.  What IS "knowledge gained through listening?"  We really
do not have the slightest idea?  We do not yet even have a handle on how we
know that what we are hearing NOW is the same tune we heard five minutes ago!
So far I have only been able to pursue such questions as peripheral activities,
but my current hunch is that SERIOUS attention to these matters may ultimately
lead to a significant shift in our current paradigms for artificial
intelligence.

Stephen W. Smoliar
Institute of Systems Science
National University of Singapore
Heng Mui Keng Terrace, Kent Ridge
SINGAPORE 0511

BITNET:  ISSSSM@NUSVM

"He was of Lord Essex's opinion, 'rather to go an hundred miles to speak with
one wise man, than five miles to see a fair town.'"--Boswell on Johnson