[comp.ai] Fuzzy Logic

skb@usl (Sanjiv K. Bhatia) (02/18/88)

Is anybody on the network interested in fuzzy logic?  Is there already a group
to discuss this area?  If not, how about starting one?  I do not know the
procedures to start a new group, so will somebody out there get in touch with
me.

Sanjiv

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (02/19/88)

In article <400@usl> skb@usl.usl.edu.UUCP (Sanjiv K. Bhatia) writes:
>Is anybody on the network interested in fuzzy logic?  Is there already a group
>to discuss this area?  If not, how about starting one?  I do not know the
>procedures to start a new group, so will somebody out there get in touch with
>me.
>
>Sanjiv

I'm researching the application of fuzzy theory to expert systems, and
would be very interested in participating in such a group.  If there is
one, I'm ignorant of it (someone please inform).  I recently posted a
reply to someone on this subject.  Is there a more general interest?

O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Mad Cybernetician
| Systems Science Department, SUNY Binghamton, Binghamton, NY
| vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

alien@piccolo.ecn.purdue.edu (Yin Chan) (04/14/91)

	I am a junior in Computer Engineering and very interested in
knowing more about fuzzy logic.  Could anyone out there suggests some
suitable books or articles to me?  Thanks very much.

Yin

waugh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Sam Waugh) (04/18/91)

I am an Honours student at the University of Tasmania currently writing
an essay on Fuzzy Logic and its applications to production systems.  The
recent stream of postings on Fuzzy Logic has been most helpful, especially
the references, so thank you for posting.

One article that was refered to by Giovanni Moretti (G.Moretti@massey.ac.nz)
was "Designing with Fuzzy Logic" by Kevin Self (IEEE Spectrum, Nov 1990,
pp42-44,105).  This is a short, chatty, interesting article which explains
mainly about Fuzzy Control Systems.

One statement in this article was :

	Fuzzy logic is a misnomer.  Developed by Lotfi A. Zadeh of the
	Univeristy of California at Berkley, it is firmly grounded in
	mathematical theory.  Combining multivalued logic, probability
	theory, artificial intelligence (AI), and neural networks, it
	is a digital control methodology that simulates human thinking
	by incorporating the imprecision inherent in all physical
	systems.

The problem I have with this statement is its accuracy.  My understanding
of Fuzzy Logic leads me to believe that probability theory is not combined
within Fuzzy Logic, though closely related.  Fuzzy Logic does not contain
any concept of randomness that probability does.  Further, AI and neural
networks are not requirements of Fuzzy Logic, and it is not only a method of
digital control.  This is probably being very pedantic, but I am finding that
many articles have confused me.  Am I correct in assuming that Fuzzy Logic
and Fuzzy Set Theory are independant of AI and NN?

I was wondering was how much of current research is really relevant
to any form of application ( after seeing an article on Fuzzy Sets and
Aristotlian semigroups )?  What is the purpose of all this work?  How much
could be described as being a firm basis for use within production systems?

Thank you for any comments,

Sam Waugh
University of Tasmania
email: waugh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au

sayyad@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Mohiddin) (04/19/91)

Few interesting applications to production systems can be found in:

1. Lebailly,J., Martin-Clouaire,R and Prade,H, Use of Fuzzy
logic in rule-based system in petroleum geology, in APPROXIMATE
REASONING IN INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS, DECISIONS AND CONTROL (Eds:
E.Sanchez and L.Zadeh) Pergamon, Newyork, 125-144, 1987.

2.John Yen, "Generalizing D-S theory to Fuzzy Sets", IEEE
SSystems Man and Cyber. pp. 559-570, May/June 1990

3. Kandel,A (Ed.) "Fuzzy Expert Systems", Addison-Wesley, 1989.

Best of Luck

Sayyad.

wsnell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Wesley Snell) (05/28/91)

Fuzzy logic is the popular name for what is probably better called
continuous logic, as opposed to bivalent logic.

For references, look for papers and books by Zadeh, Klir & Kosko.

gustav@arp.anu.edu.au (Zdzislaw Meglicki) (06/25/91)

In article <19818@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, wsnell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Wesley Snell) writes:
|> Fuzzy logic is the popular name for what is probably better called
|> continuous logic, as opposed to bivalent logic.
|>
|> For references, look for papers and books by Zadeh, Klir & Kosko.

Is it also referred to as "Linear Logic"?
--
   Gustav Meglicki, gustav@arp.anu.edu.au,
   Automated Reasoning Project, RSSS, and Plasma Theory Group, RSPhysS,

wido@isgtec.uucp (Wido Menhardt) (06/28/91)

In article <19818@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, wsnell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Wesley Snell) writes:
> Fuzzy logic is the popular name for what is probably better called
> continuous logic, as opposed to bivalent logic.

WRONG. Fuzzy Logic may be considered to belong to the class of
continuous logics but it is certainly not a generic (let alone
a popular) name for non-bivalent logics. However, it is true
that Fuzzy Logic is popular. People like fuzzy things.

-wido.