[comp.ai] Help--do you know who said/wrote this?

cds@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Cindy Sarmiento) (06/26/91)

Does anyone know to whom the following quote is
attributed?

"A year spent in artificial intelligence is
enough to make one believe in God."

thanks,
cindy

--
\o/     \o      \ /     \ /   \ /    o/    \o/         cindy sarmiento
 #       #\      #o      #    o#    /#      #       univ. of south florida

vu0208@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu () (06/26/91)

In article <1480@screamer.csee.usf.edu> cds@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Cindy Sarmiento) writes:

>Does anyone know to whom the following quote is
>attributed?
>
>"A year spent in artificial intelligence is
>enough to make one believe in God."
>
>thanks,
>cindy
>
>--
>\o/     \o      \ /     \ /   \ /    o/    \o/         cindy sarmiento
> #       #\      #o      #    o#    /#      #       univ. of south florida
>/ \     / >     / \     /o\   / \    >>    / \         tampa, florida
>                                                    cds@sol.csee.usf.edu

Atleast I didn't say that!

gin001@cdc835.cdc.polimi.it (Mauro Cicognini) (06/27/91)

Cindy Sarmiento asks if anyone knows to whom the following quote is
attributed:

"A year spent in artificial intelligence is
enough to make one believe in God."

Unfortunately, I don't know. But sure it's a statement of great hope -
at least for the people like me who see the computer environment populated
more and more by people who don't believe or don't care about it.
Thanx to Cindy for letting us know the quote.
Mauro Cicognini - gin001@cdc835.cdc.polimi.it

minsky@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Marvin Minsky) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun27.121147.25691@cdc835.cdc.polimi.it> gin001@cdc835.cdc.polimi.it (Mauro Cicognini) writes:
>Cindy Sarmiento asks if anyone knows to whom the following quote is
>attributed:
>
>"A year spent in artificial intelligence is
>enough to make one believe in God."
>
>Unfortunately, I don't know. But sure it's a statement of great hope -
>at least for the people like me who see the computer environment populated
>more and more by people who don't believe or don't care about it.
>Thanx to Cindy for letting us know the quote.
>Mauro Cicognini - gin001@cdc835.cdc.polimi.it

Aphorisms are often nice ways to summarize insights -- but they are
often very bad ways to conceal prejudices and/or hidden assumptions.
In this case, does anyone know of a single case in which spending a
year working on AI caused anyone to believe in a god, who didn't
believe in one before?

gh@cs.rochester.edu (Graeme Hirst) (06/27/91)

>Cindy Sarmiento asks if anyone knows to whom the following quote is
>attributed:
>
>"A year spent in artificial intelligence is
>enough to make one believe in God."

That's "A year working . . .".    It's Alan Perlis, of course, one of
his famous "Epigrams on programming", SIGPLAN Notices, 17(9), September
1982, pp. 7-13.

--
\\\  Graeme Hirst   Computer Science   University of Rochester   NY 14627
///  =-=-=-=-=-=-   gh@cs.rochester.edu   716-275-2957

javier@cs.toronto.edu (Javier Pinto) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.121147.25691@cdc835.cdc.polimi.it> gin001@cdc835.cdc.polimi.it (Mauro Cicognini) writes:
>Cindy Sarmiento asks if anyone knows to whom the following quote is
>attributed:
>
>"A year spent in artificial intelligence is
>enough to make one believe in God."
>
>Unfortunately, I don't know. But sure it's a statement of great hope -
>at least for the people like me who see the computer environment populated
>more and more by people who don't believe or don't care about it.
>Thanx to Cindy for letting us know the quote.
>Mauro Cicognini - gin001@cdc835.cdc.polimi.it

I don't know either, but will you care to explain yourself. I don't
understand what you are trying to say here. For instance, when you talk
about  ...people who don't believe or don't care about *it*. What is that
*it* refering to?

Just curious.

Javier.

cpshelley@violet.waterloo.edu (cameron shelley) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.160821.11943@cs.rochester.edu> gh@cs.rochester.edu (Graeme Hirst) writes:
>>Cindy Sarmiento asks if anyone knows to whom the following quote is
>>attributed:
>>
>>"A year spent in artificial intelligence is
>>enough to make one believe in God."
>
>That's "A year working . . .".    It's Alan Perlis, of course, one of
>his famous "Epigrams on programming", SIGPLAN Notices, 17(9), September
>1982, pp. 7-13.

"I've always said, there's nothing an agnostic can't do if he doesn't
know whether he believes in anything or not."  Graham Chapman in the
_Bells_ sketch.

				Cam

pluto@cornelius.ucsd.edu (Mark Plutowski) (06/28/91)

Re:

javier@cs.toronto.edu (Javier Pinto) writes:

>I don't know either, but will you care to explain yourself. I don't
>understand what you are trying to say here. For instance, when you talk
>about  ...people who don't believe or don't care about *it*. What is that
>*it* refering to?

It's illuminating to see the alternative perspectives on this statement.
My interpretation of it is the tongue-in-cheek observation:

"the tedious rate of progress in the field of AI is enough to attribute
the cause of intelligence to something other than that which may be
explained via mechanistic models ...  probably, it's due to a power greater
than myself - most likely god-like."