[news.stargate] Stargate restrictions

rs@mirror.UUCP (03/13/87)

>Well, we can stop that here and now- forever.  Just add the
>following line to your .signature file:
>
>--> Copyright (19nn) Restricted Redistribution via Stargate PROHIBITED <--
	-Bill Yerazunis "VAXstation Repo Man"

Please be advised that site 'mirror,' a machine owned and operated by
Mirror Systems, Inc., is assuming that posting an article to Usenet
gives implicit unlimited permission for redistribution through any
means.  If you want to put this petty little restriction in your
postings, then please make sure your articles do not reach site 'mirror.'

Stargate is not killing Usenet -- they are merely saying "you cannot
redistribute the stuff you get from us."  There is nothing stopping you
from redistributing via Usenet what you get via Usenet.

C'mon, 'fess up:  you're just scared that the sugar daddies like ihnp4,
decwrl, gatech, and the like will find it in *their* interest to use
Stargate exclusively, and you'll lose your free ride.

Still waiting for the whiners and compilers to institute a new network topology,
	I remain,
		Your humble and obt svt,
			/rich $alz
--
Rich $alz					"Drug tests p**s me off"
Mirror Systems, Cambridge Massachusetts		rs@mirror.TMC.COM

yerazuws@rpics.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <213200001@mirror>, rs@mirror.UUCP writes:
> >Well, we can stop that here and now- forever.  Just add the
> >following line to your .signature file:
> >
> >--> Copyright (19nn) Restricted Redistribution via Stargate PROHIBITED <--
> 	-Bill Yerazunis "VAXstation Repo Man"
>
> Please be advised that site 'mirror,' a machine owned and operated by
> Mirror Systems, Inc., is assuming that posting an article to Usenet
> gives implicit unlimited permission for redistribution through any
> means.  If you want to put this petty little restriction in your
> postings, then please make sure your articles do not reach site 'mirror.'

But you do understand - why do you think I use the word "RESTRICTED"?
I wouldn't post if I didn't want people to read it-  I just don't
want someone to restrict the redistribution.  Stargate can redistribute
it freely- but NOT with a restriction on who else may redistribute it
subsequently.

I'd have loved to put the whole GNU manifesto there, but people would not
like that one screenful.

Is that clearer now?
--
	-Bill Yerazunis "VAXstation Repo Man"
-->Copyright 1987. Restricted Redistribution via Stargate PROHIBITED <--

desj@lemon.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <213200001@mirror> rs@mirror.UUCP writes:
>>--> Copyright (19nn) Restricted Redistribution via Stargate PROHIBITED <--
>
>Please be advised that site 'mirror,' a machine owned and operated by
>Mirror Systems, Inc., is assuming that posting an article to Usenet
>gives implicit unlimited permission for redistribution through any
>means.  If you want to put this petty little restriction in your
>postings, then please make sure your articles do not reach site 'mirror.'

   This is bullshit.  There is no such thing as "implicit unlimited
permission for redistribution by any means."  The notion that if some
net site forwards my message to "mirror" then I have suddenly entered
into a contractual obligation with them is frankly ludicrous.
   If "mirror" does not want to receive such postings, then it is its
responsibility to filter them out.

   -- David desJardins

shap@sfsup.UUCP (03/17/87)

In article <213200001@mirror>, rs@mirror.UUCP writes:

> Please be advised that site 'mirror,' a machine owned and operated by
> Mirror Systems, Inc., is assuming that posting an article to Usenet
> gives implicit unlimited permission for redistribution through any
> means.
> --
> Rich $alz					"Drug tests p**s me off"
> Mirror Systems, Cambridge Massachusetts		rs@mirror.TMC.COM
> {adelie, mit-eddie, ihnp4, harvard!wjh12, cca, cbosgd, seismo}!mirror!rs

I am not a lawyer, but by the way I read the copyright laws this is
straightforwardly illegal.

If MicroSoft gives you a floppy disk and says that you can't redistribute it,
you lose, and they have a legal department to prove it.

Were (hypothetical) MicroSoft to give you a floppy disk and say that it
could be redistributed to anyone except Joe Blatz (are you listening,
Joe?), you still lose.

If my reading is right, you are violating the copyright law. Rest
assured that there are people on the net who will delight in testing this.

Jon Shapiro