[news.stargate] "try-out trials"

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (04/14/87)

Regardless of whether or not such "try-out trials" exist in the U.S.,
I personally would have no interest in Stargate "sending out everything"
in any case.  My opinions on this subject are pretty well known--I think
that a large proportion of netnews is a waste--repeated messages
(how many times do we need to see different people answering the same
question in the same ways or repostings of the same game programs?),
"vanity" postings, flames that really should be sent as private mail
(if sent at all), etc.  Overall traffic on Usenet continues to grow at what
can honestly be called an alarming rate, and traffic volume can fluctuate
fairly widely over short periods due to the actions of even a few
prolific posters.

This isn't to begrudge anyone their "rights" to "get everything"
if they want to.  As always, sites can get whatever Usenet newsgroups
they desire from any other site willing to provide them.  But I
frequently wonder how many people really have the sheer time or
mental "stamina" to wade through all that stuff--surely most people
have better things to do with their time than read 100 messages
all informing us that Bullwinkle's middle initial is "J".  The quality
issue applies regardless of the monetary cost of receiving netnews.
Even if everyone could receive all netnews for free (and disk space
and CPU cycles also were freely available and not needed for other
purposes) I strongly believe that the provision of "quality" materials
is a useful and desired service.  I've had many people tell me that
one of their primary interests in Stargate is our desire to provide
quality materials that would provide more value for the time spent
reading them.  As I've discussed in the past, quality can range
from relatively straightforward removal of obviously inappropriate
or repetitious messages up to professional journal quality, depending
on the situation and information involved.

Stargate views a netnews subset as but one element of a useful information
service, but we want to go far beyond that.  We've already received
queries from persons interested in providing specialized information
for Stargate, and it appears likely that organizations unrelated to
Usenet, but with a lot of useful information and talents, are interested
in participating.  Stargate's ability to get any given information
to essentially all direct subscribers at the same time, at any hour of
the day or night, opens up a range of information possibilities that
can be very exciting.

By the way, on the issue of common carriers... Simply declaring yourself
to be a common carrier means nothing.  In fact, even organizations
who behave as common carriers can get sued.  Even entities such as
phone companies have been sued over issues such as knowingly allowing
pornographic materials (as defined in any given state--there are
wide variations!) to be sent by phone.  In the netnews context,
it seems likely that any organization that promotes itself as
a central netnews distribution site for uncontrolled (unmoderated)
materials is setting themselves up as a potential target--particularly
if they are collecting money for such services.  They will be the
obvious entity to attack by any party who feels certain material
made available was unlawful, damaging, etc.  This is especially true
with material coming from Usenet, where the authenticity of articles
and authors is generally impossible to verify--so blaming the
author of the article can be difficult or impossible.  So who can they
blame?--the entity that centralized and made widely available the material.
How the courts will deal with such situations is unclear--similar cases
involving BBS's have gone both ways with wide variation from case to case
and locale to locale.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth.  Stargate's focus on "quality" relates
not only to technical and legal issues but also, very importantly, to the
inherent worth of quality material itself.  As for the issues discussed
above, I am not a lawyer, but I do follow this area as closely as I can.

Finally, I'd like to point out that I am but one of 5 persons on the
Stargate governing board.  I do not have administrative authority
over the project--the money (such as it is), orders, etc. are handled
by another board member.  While I still of course want to see the
project succeed, it is no longer a one man operation.

Thanks much for reading through all this.

--Lauren--

jsol@bu-cs.UUCP (04/16/87)

I can't agree more with Lauren's comments. One thing that always
made me sick of usenet was the repetitive comments. Moderated
newsgroups like TELECOM (a moderated group) takes on the following
role:

1) pick the best submission to post ("Bullwinkle's middle initial was "J.")

2) Thank everybody else who posted

"Thanks go to Saul Jaffe <Jaffe@BLUE>
	     Mel Pleasant <Pleasant@RED>
	     Liz Sommers <Sommers@USENIX>
	     and Jerry Price <JP@YOURFAVORITEHOST.UUCP>

for saying the same thing".

The ARPANET has much experience with moderated groups, and most of us
agree that they are far superior to immediate (shout) lists for most
high volume applications. I have been a moderator for 6 years or
so, and have seen enough of the ARPANET traffic to know that moderation
is best for large volume lists.

--jsol

mangler@cit-vax.UUCP (04/19/87)

In article <6582@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, jsol@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jon Solomon)
describes how ARPAnet moderated groups deal with repetitive submissions
by posting the best one, with a list of authors who said the same thing.

Of course, to do this, the moderator can't send out anything until
the definitive reply arrives.  He has to add *delay*.

Isn't timelyness one of the stated goals of Stargate?

If moderated groups are so great, then (as Brian Reid once asked)
why do they have poor readership?

Maybe the proper function of a moderator is to attach his recommendation
to the best articles, giving them priority in transmission and viewing,
rather than filtering out the worst articles.  We want to encourage
the best quality, instead of merely enforcing a minimum quality level.

Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {seismo,rutgers,ames}!cit-vax!speck

imprint@orchid.UUCP (04/19/87)

It has been suggested that a moderator choosing the "best"
items, and listing the names of others who said the same
thing would cause a dealy while the moderator waited for the
definitive piece.

Not so. A Usenent Moderator and an ordinary Editor in print
communication are essentially the same thing. The newspaper
editor still gets a paper out every day, even though he has
given you only 40% of what he had avaialable.
The periodicity could be the same, just condensing
repetitive stuff -- condensing it all the way to a list of
names on occasion. You don't wait for definitive articles to
publish a paper, you wait for the press deadline. Then you
go with the best of what you've got.

But unlike commercial publications who make money by serving
the interests of specific populations newsgroups are
essentially non-commercial, volunteer public service
facilities. They are more reminiscent of the university
student newspaper than commerical publishing. I know in
Canada it is virtually pointless to sue a student paper for
liable because they have no money to speak of, you'd never
get damages even if you proved the intent of a piece was
defamatory.

I think *International* law is ultimately going to have to
address the problem of communication media that span the
world. I.E. there has to be some clear statements about what
the international community considers appropriate to
transmit between countries. Likewise, there will always be
local controls on distrubution which cannot backfire on the
foreign source.

I would not carry a posting on my machine from anybody that
advocated, for instance, burning Jews or encouraged people
to blow up airplanes or plant bombs in railway cars. However
there probably are countries where this would be acceptable.
Let the site be governed by the laws of the area -- just
like a newspaper -- and transmission be governed by the laws
of the world.

But really, libel law is not a big problem. Liable
prosecutions are few and far between, convictions even
rarer. If stargate's mandate is to facilitate discussion of
ideas, extremely defamatory material can be justified as in
"the public interest". For Stargate to be sued, the intent
(on Stargate's part) to defame and libel an individual would
have to be proven. If Stargate doesn't even read what goes
through its transmission facilities, this would be quite
unlikely. Newspapers carry a caveat on letters pages "The
opinions expressed here are those of the author, not the
paper". That defines the public interest of the letters page
making it almost entirely immune from libel suits except in the
case of systematic and repeated deliberate abuse.

Let Common Sense rule over Common Paranoia. Newspapers very,
very rarely get sued for libel even when deliberately
defaming people -- because that's their job. I've never
heard of a libel suit over a letter to the editor. And
usenet is like a publication which exclusively carries
letters to the editor.

In order to increase quality, individuals might consider
trying to run publictions on the net, just like a print
periodical but with no presses. Mailing lists already work
much like that. Is there any reason not to charge a
subscription to the reader who wants a particular "magazine"
type service delivered to him?

The glory of the net is the fact of user-defined standards,
rather than editor-mediated standards. Send e-mail to
posters who annoy you and let them know how you feel,
encourage them to improve their work if you can. Let's not
try to make the net an exclusive club which lives up to
"our" standards -- whoever "we" are. Lots of high quality
media already exist (and will come to exist in electronic
versions of some sort). But usenet is different. Its very
open-ness opens new, as  yet untapped possibilities. Let's
not throw out those future possibilities because some jerk
might sue somebody!

webber@klinzhai.RUTGERS.EDU (Webber) (04/20/87)

In article <7041@orchid.UUCP>, imprint@orchid.UUCP writes:
> It has been suggested that a moderator choosing the "best"
> items, and listing the names of others who said the same
> thing would cause a dealy while the moderator waited for the
> definitive piece.
>
> Not so. A Usenent Moderator and an ordinary Editor in print
> communication are essentially the same thing. The newspaper
> editor still gets a paper out every day, even though he has
> given you only 40% of what he had avaialable.

Sure newspaper editors get papers out.  But no newspaper maintains the
breadth of opinion that an unmoderated newsgroup does.  If you want a
decent range of opinion, you end up having to go to a library and scan
dozens of papers.  Newsgroup moderators are walking illustrations of
the problems of unchecked power.  In order to make them comparable to
newspaper editors there would have to be dozens of separate moderated
newsgroups on the same subject.  Sure there are some benevolent moderators,
but there are also those who go on vacation for a month leaving their
group in limbo, purposely delay messages to cut down on the flow of
traffic, choose to edit away controversal signatures, or even drop on
the floor copyrighted messages.  Of course moderators are human and
have their own problems of overwork and wanting to avoid legal
complications.  But this does not help the free flow of opinion.
(For that matter, according to my cat Galileo, history shows it
doesn't help the free flow of fact either.)

In many ways, usenet was a unique utopian experiment.  Twenty years
from now, you will only find it in the history books (check next to
the Oneida colony).  You will tell your children about a free network
where people all over the country/world discussed whatever they wanted to.
Once they get over the shock of the concept, they will ask you why it
was destroyed.  I have no idea what you will reply.

---------------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; BACKBONE!topaz!webber)

clyde@ut-ngp.UUCP (Head UNIX Hacquer) (04/21/87)

In article <181@brandx.klinzhai.RUTGERS.EDU>, webber@klinzhai.RUTGERS.EDU (Webber) writes:
> In article <7041@orchid.UUCP>, imprint@orchid.UUCP writes:
> > It has been suggested that a moderator choosing the "best"
> > items, and listing the names of others who said the same
> > thing would cause a dealy while the moderator waited for the
> > definitive piece.
> >
> > Not so. A Usenent Moderator and an ordinary Editor in print
> > communication are essentially the same thing. The newspaper
> > editor still gets a paper out every day, even though he has
> > given you only 40% of what he had avaialable.
>
> In many ways, usenet was a unique utopian experiment.  Twenty years
> from now, you will only find it in the history books (check next to
> the Oneida colony).  You will tell your children about a free network
> where people all over the country/world discussed whatever they wanted to.
> Once they get over the shock of the concept, they will ask you why it
> was destroyed.  I have no idea what you will reply.
>
> ---------------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; BACKBONE!topaz!webber)

Gee, it seems to me that Usenet still 'is'.  Here again we have the
misperception that Usenet is free.  To your particular site, it may be:
for us it essentially is (the RM03 we use was bought with out PDP 11/70
over 8 years ago), but it isn't for everyone.

How do you think Usenet stuff gets from Texas to Rutgers? Somebody makes
either a long-distance phone call (and pays for it directly) or uses a wire
that SOMEBODY ELSE is paying for (Arpanet, leased lines, etc).

I recall that once upon a time that decvax had a phone bill of $100,000.00
per year (I think that was right).   It's nice that DEC has that money.
But sooner or later some beancounter at some backbone is going to wonder
why so much tribute is being paid to AT&T - and boom goes Usenet,
either in toto or the 'talk.*' and 'rec.*' groups.

If Usenet 'collapses', it will be from its own sheer weight.  I am fully
in favor of the most personal freedom possible, but I also know that one
cannot rely upon manna from heaven to pay the bills.

Stargate is a good place to start searching for an alternative distribution
method.  Maybe we will find out just how important Usenet is to people when
they start to consider its cost.

Besides, Usenet isn't the only game in town BOB, if  you want 'complete'
freedom, then go out an buy yourself a PC/AT or some such box, a LOT
of hard disk and a modem or two, and run the Usenet software in whatever
fashion you wish.  That is how Usenet has grown.

If you don't like Stargate, then don't participate.  I say lets give it a
chance - and I thank Lauren and the others who have spent much time and
effort to take a pie-in-the-sky idea and turn it into hard reality.

--
Shouter-To-Dead-Parrots @ Univ. of Texas Computation Center; Austin, Texas
	clyde@ngp.utexas.edu; ...!ut-sally!ut-ngp!clyde

> In many ways, usenet was a unique utopian experiment.  Twenty years
> from now, you will only find it in the history books (check next to
> the Oneida colony).  You will tell your children about a free network
> where people all over the country/world discussed whatever they wanted to.
> Once they get over the shock of the concept, they will ask you why it
> was destroyed.  I have no idea what you will reply.

I do.  I'll tell them that it self-destructed due to its inability to
handle unlimited growth.  It will, you know...

"Every golden age carries the seeds of its own destruction."
--
"If you want PL/I, you know       Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
where to find it." -- DMR         {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

> ... You will tell your children about a free network
> where people all over the country/world discussed whatever they wanted to.
> Once they get over the shock of the concept, they will ask you why it
> was destroyed...

They will also ask "gee, didn't that get awfully boring at times, when
people with nothing interesting to say nevertheless tried to say it?".
I'll tell them "Yes, it certainly did.  As the volume rose, we had to be
more and more selective about what we read.  Eventually it occurred to
many people that being selective about what was sent out would make more
sense.  Wide realization of that was the beginning of the end."