[news.stargate] a no cost solution to the current netflow problems

webber@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU (Webber) (04/23/87)

In article <7946@utzoo.UUCP>, henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
(re why usenet will distruct)
> I do.  I'll tell them that it self-destructed due to its inability to
> handle unlimited growth.  It will, you know...

Actually we are helping it self-distruct (it ain't dying a natural death).

THE BASIC SOLUTION:

The most natural solution would be that if the a site cannot expend
more than a certain amount of resources toward supporting the net,
then it should just support the net to the extent that it can and then
cease for that day.  That would let the net adapt to such throughput
restrictions in a `natural manner' (other sites picking up more share
as they percieve greater responsibility).  Of course, this is quite
different from the power trip of getting up and telling everyone that
you support the net to $x and you are going to control the net or
completely withdraw.

GENERAL PHILOSOPHY BEHIND THE PROBLEM AND SOLUTION:

Both stargate and moderated groups are symptoms of the same kind of
wrong-thinking, i.e., if you have a distributed system and it is
having problems, the solution is to centralize control.  Both stargate
and moderators will naturally suffer from the problem that when
central control goes down, the system flounders.  In both cases you
have information being first distributed to a central site then being broadcast
from there.  The result is that the central site (and immediate
neighbors) control the system (both directly by setting policy and
indirectly in that their problems become everyones).  Sure they will
reduce flow, but unmoderated newsgroups (where existing in tandam with
moderated newsgroups) have consistantly higher quality (will come back
to this in a later message), faster response, and greater reliability.

----------------------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; BACKBONE!topaz!webber)

> The most natural solution would be that if the a site cannot expend
> more than a certain amount of resources toward supporting the net,
> then it should just support the net to the extent that it can and then
> cease for that day...

This is what many sites are in effect doing.  The key point is that those
sites would like to support the *best* material, not just whatever happens
to arrive first.  This implies some sort of selection mechanism.

> That would let the net adapt to such throughput
> restrictions in a `natural manner' (other sites picking up more share
> as they percieve greater responsibility)...

What happens if nobody is willing to pick it up?  Frankly, most of the
backbone sites would be delighted to pass the whole job to somebody else.
There is a distinct lack of volunteers for massive phone bills, massive
system load, clogged communications lines, and regular public abuse.

> ... unmoderated newsgroups (where existing in tandam with
> moderated newsgroups) have consistantly higher quality (will come back
> to this in a later message), faster response, and greater reliability.

Faster response and greater reliability I don't argue with, since imposing
any sort of single-point filtering mechanism inherently hampers those.
Actually, I might argue with them somewhat in the context of Stargate,
since Stargate transmission is both faster and more reliable once the
article gets to the uplink site.  The question is whether this makes up
for it having to reach a moderator by mail and then get from him to the
uplink; I suspect the answer is "not entirely".

As for consistently higher quality, nonsense!  The quality of a newsgroup
is largely determined by two things:  (1) how many really good people are
reading it and posting to it, and (2) how much drivel is being posted by
the real turkeys.  Moderated groups win hands-down on item 2.  As for item
1, the good people increasingly ignore the unmoderated groups because they
don't have time to wade through all the drivel.  Any apparent quality lead
for the unmoderated groups is strictly temporary.
--
"If you want PL/I, you know       Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
where to find it." -- DMR         {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

olsen@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Jim Olsen) (04/28/87)

In article <7960@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Frankly, most of the backbone sites would be delighted to pass the whole
>job to somebody else.  There is a distinct lack of volunteers for massive
>phone bills, massive system load, clogged communications lines, and
>regular public abuse.

If any backbone site is spending too much on netnews, it should gradually
pare down its news flow to a level which it can comfortably support.
Otherwise, when the budget crunch comes it may force a complete cutoff of
news, causing much more disruption than a gradual reduction would.

It's simply bad network policy for a backbone site to spend more on news
than it can afford.

--
Jim Olsen	olsen@xn.ll.mit.edu
		...!{mit-eddie,seismo,linus,lll-crg}!ll-xn!olsen