[news.stargate] Comparing Usenet size with that of commercial networks

webber@klinzhai.UUCP (04/29/87)

In article <676@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
> In article <191@brandx.klinzhai.RUTGERS.EDU> webber@klinzhai.RUTGERS.EDU (Webber) writes:
> >In article <213200002@mirror>, rs@mirror.UUCP writes:
> >> What about GENie, CompuServe, etc:  uncensored, pay-as-you-go, with lots
> >I strongly doubt that any of the services you mention carry anywhere
> >near the number of users that usenet does.  Also, the interface for
> >users is quite different (particularly in terms of the amount of time
> Last statistics I saw printed (Info World or similiar type weekly news rag,
> sometime late last fall) place register users of Compuserve EMail at about
> 275,000 users. Telemail was in third place with about 80,000.

There is certainly a distinction between email systems and bboards.
Also one would expect those numbers to be considerably inflated by one
time users (modems often come with special membership bargains).  Just
considering the raw amount of computer-power such systems have
available, it is inconceivable that they are supporting anything even
remotely comparable to Usenet.

--------------------------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu)