[news.stargate] On `quality control' and transferable usenet postings

webber@klinzhai.RUTGERS.EDU (Webber) (04/28/87)

In article <7961@utzoo.UUCP>, henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
> > ... a system that requires people moderate themselves.  Give each
> > user 10 transferable usenet postings a month and let them decide what...
> Unfortunately, this assumes that all posters are equal.  Wrong.  People

Right.  It is wrong that it assumes all posters are equal, only that
they should be treated equally.

> like Guy Harris and Doug Gwyn are often able to give an authoritative
> answer to questions that other people just guess at; they clearly deserve
> a larger posting limit, if indeed they deserve one at all.  And there are

They would get their larger limits by people transfering their transferable
posting rights.  If nobody thinks these people have something more
interesting to say than they do themselves, then so be it.

> certainly people whose posting limit should be zero.  How do we set the
> limits?  (You can bet that everyone with a low limit will scream "fascist
> censorship!" no matter how the limit is chosen.)

It is only censorship if it is initially inequitable.  I certainly disagree
that there are people whose posting limit should be zero.

> Believe it or not, your idea is not new, and the concept has been talked
> about (and rejected) before.

I am not surprised that it has been thought of before.  I am surprised
that you couldn't figure out how to make it work.  In any event, just
because it was mistakenly rejected once is no reason to give up on it.

--------------------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!topaz!webbeer)

In article <203@brandx.klinzhai.RUTGERS.EDU>, webber@klinzhai.RUTGERS.EDU (Webber) writes:
> In article <7961@utzoo.UUCP>, henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>> ... a system that requires people moderate themselves.  Give each
>>> user 10 transferable usenet postings a month and let them decide...

How is this enforced?  What's to stop me, say, from changing this magic
number 10 to 400 and recompiling?  How in the world can you securely
transfer these things?!  It sounds as though you have some mechanism
other than uucp in mind for news transfer - what?

					der Mouse

				(mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp)