[news.stargate] questions on stargate

Lee_-_Wells@cup.portal.com (05/25/88)

i realize i may be out of line for asking, but i was wondering if it would
be possible to give a ball park guessimate of waht the 'magic box' might
cost + or minus 50%, and perhaps when the project might move into production
i know from several of my own projects that time frames are something that
are hard to pin down, but as a possible customer....and for all the other
possible customers i thought it would be worth it to ask.

thank you for your time

lee wells

major@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Lou Major) (05/27/88)

Could someone mail me a concise description of what stargate is?
Thank you.

major@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

kevin@perle.UUCP (Kevin Pickard) (06/02/88)

In article <8663@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> major@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Lou Major) writes:

>Could someone mail me a concise description of what stargate is?
>Thank you.
>
>major@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

How about posting it so that everyone who is similarily curious will
also get the answer?

				Kevin Pickard
				...!uunet!mnetor!perle!kevin

webber@constance.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (06/04/88)

In article <145@perle.UUCP>, kevin@perle.UUCP (Kevin Pickard) writes:
> In article <8663@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> major@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Lou Major) writes:
> >

> >Could someone mail me a concise description of what stargate is?
> >Thank you.
> >
> >major@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
>
> How about posting it so that everyone who is similarily curious will
> also get the answer?

Ok.  Stargate is the Usenet-level networking side of the
comp.protocols.tcp-ip.eniac proposal.  The idea is that all of these
eniacs running tcp/ip would be connected in a star network with a
cray2 in the center to handle the archiving.  Any person who wanted to
get news would then only need to submit a small deck of punched cards
to their nearest eniac indicating what topics they wanted to read and
then out would come another stack of cards containing the contents of
those messages in compressed bcd codes.  It turns out that now that
the federal government has stopped using eniacs for nuclear defense
(happened right after the sages were decommisioned in 83 or so), there
are alot of spare eniacs in out of the way locations around the
country.

Originally the proposal was to use magnetic tapes or optical disks,
but it turned out that now that no one uses punch cards any more there
are literally warehouses full of them where you can just drive up and
take as many as you want -- it is bigger than the great cheese
giveaway the federal government was running a few years ago.  The
other neat thing about punch cards is that you don't need to be able
to see them in order to read them -- all you need do is run your hands
over them (there is even a nice notch in the top to make sure you are
holding it right).  This way you can read news while sitting in on a
boring lecture or while listening to your boss explain how things were
when he was in your job.  Unfortunately we can't keep too much
documentation about the system online as it is important that the bean
counters never catch on.  So, a while back an elaborate story about
news transfer via satellites was cooked up and I will leave it to
someone else to explain how that goes.

----- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

dewey@execu.UUCP (dewey henize) (06/04/88)

After reading all through the explanation with the punch cards....

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

|      execu!dewey  Dewey Henize @ Execucom Systems Corp 512/346-3008         |
|    You don't think my employer APPROVES of these ideas, do you??  Sheesh!   |

jat@hpsemc.HP.COM (Joe Talmadge) (06/10/88)

dewey henize writes:
>After reading all through the explanation with the punch cards....
>
>AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

I agree.

I urged the current net.eniac leaders to put output on paper tape
instead of punch cards. That way you just have one big roll, and you
can't drop the box and thus ruin the order of basenotes and responses.

Having recently obtained an old eniac myself, I am indeed excited
about the new star network, and I've already gotten a few boxes of
punched cards.

Joe

webber@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (06/11/88)

In article <8500001@hpsemc.HP.COM>, jat@hpsemc.HP.COM (Joe Talmadge) writes:
> I urged the current net.eniac leaders to put output on paper tape
> instead of punch cards. That way you just have one big roll, and you
> can't drop the box and thus ruin the order of basenotes and responses.

Didn't our reply reach you?  We sent you mail via the path
        rutgers!violet.berkeley.edu!mcdchg!hpsemc!jat
Anyway, the problem with paper tape is that it breaks.  It has taken over
40 years to design a card reader that doesn't jam, we are not about to
start a new project trying to work with the flimsier paper tape media.
Of course, better rag content would help the paper tape problem, but
then we wouldn't be using old paper tape but rather would have to be
creating new paper tape.  [Incidently, the problem of spilling boxes
of paper tapes is solved by keeping index numbers in columns 73 thru
80.  Of course, the last time I mentioned this to someone who had just
spilled a tray, it didn't improve their mood -- perhaps they weren't
budgetted to rent time on a card sorter.]

> Having recently obtained an old eniac myself, I am indeed excited
> about the new star network, and I've already gotten a few boxes of
> punched cards.

Glad to hear of your interest.  Due to the flood of requests, queries, etc.,
we have organized this venture under the name:
    Vaporware Systems, Unlimited
with the motto:
    Other people advertise vaporware, but only we build it.

We expect to have an introductory document available soon for people unfamiliar
with the basic ENIAC architecture (draft copies are available upon request:
just send mail to the address in the signature below).  It is currently nearly
5 pages long, so we are investigating the merits of posting it in uuencoded
compressed format.  Other projects currently underway are listed below:
    1) P -- the public domain portable programming language successor
            to C -- platform for the other software projects (which
            will, of course, all have public domain source implementations).
    2) EniACK -- the networking protocol that forms the basis for distributed
                 ENIAC programming as well as the foundation on top of which
                 tcp/ip will be implemented.
    3) EAVESDROP -- our termcap-based hypertext news retrieval interface which
                    will make it easier for you to keep track of ENIAC related
                    discussions throughout the net.
    4) FLOHRISH -- a chess program that wins.
    5) HAMETE - a GO program that wins.
    6) ENCREDIBLE -- our hardware design group (these are the guys
                     that designed the non-jamming card reader).
    7) ENLIGHTNING -- our documentation group (dedicated to the premise
                      that the source is just a convenience as the
                      user should be told enough about how it works so
                      that they could write it themselves).
    8) SCITLUM -- our distributed operating system project.
    9) ENG -- our natural language design project.
    10) EDITOR -- the ultimate text-editor/document-processor/spelling-checker/
                  grammar-checker handling both natural and programming
                  languages.
    11) VR -- our computer graphics group (you'll see what we mean).

------- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)