[news.misc] The 50% rule is in--now what?

weemba@brahms (Matthew P Wiener) (11/08/86)

Expires:

OK everybody, we've all seen the growing rash of people padding their
postings with 50% rule killers.  I hate line-eaters, I hate **REPLACE
THIS LINE WITH YOUR IDIOTISMS**, and I hate most big signatures (Bob
Averack's is the major exception), but I positively cannot stand these
deadwood 50% rule killers.

Am I alone here?

I propose that it be lowered to 40% new material, applied to longer
postings only, and that the bounce message be more to the point, with
strong encouragement to edit/paraphrase the original better.

If the major point was to get rid of running puns, then just say so and
ban them directly.  (They've mostly died out, thank Gene Spafford.)

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

sewilco@mecc.UUCP (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (11/09/86)

In article <212@cartan.Berkeley.EDU> weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU writes:
>OK everybody, we've all seen the growing rash of people padding their
>postings with 50% rule killers.  I hate line-eaters, I hate **REPLACE
>I propose that it be lowered to 40% new material, applied to longer
>postings only, and that the bounce message be more to the point, with
>strong encouragement to edit/paraphrase the original better.

Most important is a friendlier rejection interface, so people can be told
what is wrong and given a chance to easily remedy it.  (I'm an Rn user)
Then some experimentation is needed to find an acceptable (unobtrusive but
effective?) rule.

Unfortunately, if the rule is made complicated, it will seem random.

Personally, avoiding the 50% rule has forced me to be extremely aware of
my quote/comment ratio.  When in doubt and unable to reduce quotes any
further, I do prefer to defeat quoting rather than face "dead.article".
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon   Minn Ed Comp Corp  {quest,dayton,meccts}!mecc!sewilco
(612)481-3507      sewilco@mecc.MECC.COM       ihnp4!meccts!mecc!sewilco

rissa@chinet.UUCP (Garret and Trish) (11/10/86)

Matthew P Wiener writes:

>OK everybody, we've all seen the growing rash of people padding their
>postings with 50% rule killers.  I hate line-eaters, I hate **REPLACE
>THIS LINE WITH YOUR IDIOTISMS**, and I hate most big signatures (Bob
>Averack's is the major exception), but I positively cannot stand these
>deadwood 50% rule killers.

>Am I alone here?

>I propose that it be lowered to 40% new material, applied to longer
>postings only, and that the bounce message be more to the point, with
>strong encouragement to edit/paraphrase the original better.

I agree.

Many is the time I have wanted to reply to something really stupid

in soc.women with two or three carefully chosen words only to get

shot down by this rule.

I also hate hate hate elaborate signatures.  I remember someone

saying something about this a couple of years ago and pointing

what it means when your signature is larger than your posting.

Trisha

Tuama

IRWIN@PUCC.BITNET (Irwin Tillman) (11/10/86)

In article <751@chinet.UUCP>, rissa@chinet.UUCP (Garret and Trish) writes:

>Many is the time I have wanted to reply to something really stupid
>in soc.women with two or three carefully chosen words only to get
>shot down by this rule.

We follow the 50% rule here, except when the article body is <=15 lines;
in that case, we let it go.

Irwin Tillman             BITNET: IRWIN@PUCC
Princeton University      UUCP: allegra!psuvax1!PUCC.BITNET!IRWIN
                          ARPA: IRWIN%PUCC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

stephen@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Stephen J. Muir) (11/11/86)

Well, I'm going to delete that code when I install 2.11, so there.  I suspect I
won't be alone.  We have enough trouble with certain sites changing message IDs
and re-injecting news articles without worrying about piffling things like
this.

In any case, I shall also be installing FASCIST, so any user who insists on
including a load of junk will be disauthorised (is that the right word?).
--
EMAIL:	stephen@comp.lancs.ac.uk	| Post: University of Lancaster,
UUCP:	...!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!stephen	|	Department of Computing,

osmigo1@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) (11/11/86)

I (and I suspect many others) have often been guilty of "padding" text, just
to get my post up. Not necessarily padding with empty lines or garbage, but
just blabbering endlessly to fill up space. Here are a few ideas that might
be worth thinking about:

1. Maybe the 50% could go into effect ONLY if the included text exceeded 24
   lines (or one screenful).

2. How about a FLAT LIMIT on how much can be included in ANY case? You can
   easily transfer the gist of a post in less than a screenful.

3. How about a limit on the number of "levels" of included text? I normally
   pounce on the "n" key when I see a message starting off with 5 >'s....

Ron Morgan

--
osmigo1, UTexas Computation Center, Austin, Texas 78712
ARPA:  osmigo1@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU

karl@haddock.UUCP (Karl Heuer) (11/12/86)

In article <212@cartan.Berkeley.EDU> weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P Wiener) writes:
>OK everybody, we've all seen the growing rash of people padding their
>postings with 50% rule killers.  I hate line-eaters, I hate **REPLACE
>THIS LINE WITH YOUR IDIOTISMS**, and I hate most big signatures (Bob
>Averack's is the major exception), but I positively cannot stand these
>deadwood 50% rule killers.

Ditto to all of the above.  We don't seem to have the 50% rule here, but it
seems to me that there's no excuse for adding the "deadwood".  If a user's
news-posting program thinks he has overquoted, and he disagrees, surely it's
not difficult to disguise quotes with something like "1,$s/^>/|/"?  Certainly
that's less irritating than adding twenty copies of "inews wants more lines"!

(The above editor command is not intended to substitute for real editing;
e.g. one should (almost) always delete the respondee's .signature first.)

rcd@ico.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (11/13/86)

> OK everybody, we've all seen the growing rash of people padding their
> postings with 50% rule killers...
> ...I positively cannot stand these deadwood 50% rule killers.

> Am I alone here?

They bug me too, yet I wrote my first add-some-drivel-to-get-it-out paragraph
back when playing with 2.10.3, and I'll probably do it again in the future.
I guess we should take it as a painful lesson in human engineering of
software...I think the problem was predictable.  If you DIDN'T edit the
parent article down to get rid of junk, you might feel duly chastised by
the complaint and go back to take care of it.  But suppose that you already
spent some time trimming the included text...it just happened to be messy
to trim.  Suppose further that you found you could say what you wanted to
say fairly concisely.  The stupid posting gets bounced, and as I remember
it's inews that bounces it so you can't conveniently dodge it.  The first
reaction is probably anger at software that's trying to be smarter than it
can be, and the first response is probably to try to foil the software...
after all, you already complied with the rule (Don't include extraneous
text) in spirit, right?  So you do what you must to comply with the letter
of the rule.

> I propose that it be lowered to 40% new material, applied to longer
> postings only, and that the bounce message be more to the point, with
> strong encouragement to edit/paraphrase the original better.

I suggest that those of us who don't need quite so much hand-holding out of
the software put in hooks (which may be slightly difficult for rank
neophytes to find) to disable the checking.  There's an awful lot of this
sort of help-for-the-novice/annoyance-for-the-frequent-user in 2.11.  (If I
have to watch that essay out of postnews on choosing newsgroups one more
time at 1200 baud or below, I swear I'll kill it even if it means adb-ing
the postnews object file!)
--
Dick Dunn    {hao,nbires,cbosgd}!ico!rcd	(303)449-2870
   ...Cerebus for dictator!

rlw@briar.UUCP (Richard Wexelblat) (11/14/86)

If the 50% rule were waived for postings of <25 lines, most of the complaints
and fillers would go away.

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Ken Arromdee) (11/15/86)

>I (and I suspect many others) have often been guilty of "padding" text, just
>to get my post up. Not necessarily padding with empty lines or garbage, but
>just blabbering endlessly to fill up space. Here are a few ideas that might
>be worth thinking about:
>1. Maybe the 50% could go into effect ONLY if the included text exceeded 24
>   lines (or one screenful).
>2. How about a FLAT LIMIT on how much can be included in ANY case? You can
>   easily transfer the gist of a post in less than a screenful.
>3. How about a limit on the number of "levels" of included text? I normally
>   pounce on the "n" key when I see a message starting off with 5 >'s....

So all that has to be done is for the posters to use their text editor to
substitute another character for the > character.  (and if inews is modified
to check for any repeating character, it's not too hard to write a filter
that would replace each > with a random character from the set >,],),}, etc...)

Flat limits: Sure... then you could modify Pnews to post articles in pieces if
they are over 24 lines long....

Number of levels: if someone writes a filter to put in random characters, this
could be defeated simply by an extension of the same program.
--
Never look a gift horse in the mouth, but beware of Greeks bearing gifts.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET              ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: {allegra!hopkins, seismo!umcp-cs, ihnp4!whuxcc} !jhunix!ins_akaa

philip@axis.UUCP (Philip Peake) (11/15/86)

In article <641@comp.lancs.ac.uk> stephen@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Stephen J. Muir) writes:

>In any case, I shall also be installing FASCIST, so any user who insists on
>including a load of junk will be disauthorised (is that the right word?).

No, it certainly is not the right word.
The opposite of 'allow' is 'forbid', therefore, you were looking for
forbidden.

Putting 'dis' in front of words is a habit used by lazy american
politicians - such as 'disinvestment' rather than 'divestment'.

Maybe NEWS 2.12 should have a modiffied version of spell included,
so that it rejects such terrible attrocities committed against
the english language !

Philip

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (11/16/86)

In article <641@comp.lancs.ac.uk> stephen@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Stephen J. Muir) writes:
>Well, I'm going to delete that code when I install 2.11, so there.  I suspect I
>won't be alone.   [ ... stuff deleted ... ]
>In any case, I shall also be installing FASCIST, so any user who insists on
>including a load of junk will be disauthorised (is that the right word?).

(No, but it's a good word).  I have no intention of deleting that section
of code when I install 2.11.  I think the restriction is, in general, A
Good Thing, and I'm going to make the very trivial mods required to do
checking only if the article is bigger than, say, 20 lines.  I see the
FASCIST option as one to be applied punitively (and for the Greater Good,
of course), not one to be used against users who ignorantly/carelessly/
innocently don't edit down included text.
--
Melinda Shore                               ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!shor
University of Chicago Computation Center    XASSHOR@UCHIMVS1.Bitnet

dave@viper.UUCP (David Messer) (11/16/86)

 In article <764@axis.UUCP>, philip@axis.UUCP (Philip Peake) writes:

 > Maybe NEWS 2.12 should have a modiffied version of spell included,
 > so that it rejects such terrible attrocities committed against
 > the english language !   [SIC]

Need I say more?
--
Disclaimer:                       | David Messer
I'm always right and I never lie. | Software Consultant

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (11/19/86)

In article <3943@jhunix.UUCP> ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Ken Arromdee) writes:
>So all that has to be done is for the posters to use their text editor to
>substitute another character for the > character.  (and if inews is modified
>to check for any repeating character, it's not too hard to write a filter
>that would replace each > with a random character from the set >,],),}, etc...)
>
>Flat limits: Sure... then you could modify Pnews to post articles in pieces if
>they are over 24 lines long....
>
>Number of levels: if someone writes a filter to put in random characters, this
>could be defeated simply by an extension of the same program.

The 50% rule is there, it seems to me, to catch the careless, not the
malicious.  If it's going to take as much energy to beat inews as it
would to edit the article, I think most users would opt for editing.
We have a *lot* of accounts on sphinx (over 2500), and if people were
inclined to entertain themselves by playing games with inews we'd be
seeing some evidence of it.

I think, though, that the front ends to inews should also check
included lines so that the user will know that there's a problem before
the text is passed off to inews.
--

james@reality1.UUCP (james) (11/20/86)

In article <641@comp.lancs.ac.uk>, stephen@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Stephen J. Muir):
> Well, I'm going to delete that code when I install 2.11, so there.  I suspect
> I won't be alone.  We have enough trouble with certain sites changing message
> IDs and re-injecting news articles without worrying about piffling things like
> this.

Perhaps then it is time to have rnews check for include limitations when an
article is received from another site.  That was even if comp.lancs.ac.uk
posts messages 95% included text, the backbones won't spend their money
transporting it around the world.  I can hear screams of censorship already,
but unless Mr. Muir is willing to pay the phone bills to carry messages with
large quantities of included text, I doubt the backbones will have much choice.

> In any case, I shall also be installing FASCIST, so any user who insists on
> including a load of junk will be disauthorised (is that the right word?).

I have used FASCIST before just to make sure that people read netiquette before
posting their first message.  They initially may post to nothing: if they want
to post, they must come to me and show that they understand what is and is
not acceptable.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!ut-ngp!utastro!osi3b2!james    "Live Free or Die"

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry F Aguirre) (11/20/86)

In article <4283@ut-ngp.UUCP> osmigo1@ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) writes:
>1. Maybe the 50% could go into effect ONLY if the included text exceeded 24
>   lines (or one screenful).

If you do put in this check then reduce the requirement from "50%"
orriginal text to a few lines, don't take it out completely.  The poster
should be required to post SOMETHING!  (Besides "REPLACE THIS...".)

I have see postings in which the entire article is "included" text.
Presumably some novice got confused.  Remember that this kind of limit
is intended to stop unintentional abuses, an experienced poster can
easily defeat it in any number of ways.

					Jerry Aguirre

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (11/21/86)

In article <80@reality1.UUCP> james@reality1.UUCP (james) writes:

-> Perhaps then it is time to have rnews check for include limitations when an
-> article is received from another site.  That was even if comp.lancs.ac.uk
-> posts messages 95% included text, the backbones won't spend their money
-> transporting it around the world.  I can hear screams of censorship already,
-> but unless Mr. Muir is willing to pay the phone bills to carry messages with
-> large quantities of included text, I doubt the backbones will have much choice.
-> ...
->
-> I have used FASCIST before just to make sure that people read netiquette before
-> posting their first message.  They initially may post to nothing: if they want
-> to post, they must come to me and show that they understand what is and is
-> not acceptable.

And after all this, in his .signature he says:

->  .... "Live Free or Die"

I just thought this was paradoxical.
--
Gordon A. Moffett                             {whatever}!amdahl!gam

 ~ See the soldier with his gun ~
 ~ Who must be dead to be admired ~
--
[ The opinions expressed, if any, do not represent Amdahl Corporation ]

stephen@dcl-cs.UUCP (11/21/86)

In article <80@reality1.UUCP> james@reality1.UUCP (james) writes:
>Perhaps then it is time to have rnews check for include limitations when an
>article is received from another site.  That was even if comp.lancs.ac.uk
>posts messages 95% included text, the backbones won't spend their money
>transporting it around the world.  I can hear screams of censorship already,
>but unless Mr. Muir is willing to pay the phone bills to carry messages with
>large quantities of included text, I doubt the backbones will have much choice.

Now look here.  There is *no way* that you can stop users from doing this.
They can change the included text character from ">" to anything they want.
Diff listings also use ">".  Sometimes, it is appropriate to have 50% more
included text than new text.  We only allow members of staff at this research
institution to send news articles, and if they decide to have more included
text than new text then it will be for a good reason.  If not, I shall
reprimand them and, if this doesn't work, prohibit them from posting in future.

I am in agreement with the reasoning behind the 50% rule, but I do not agree
with the way it is enforced.  As far as I'm concerned, any net abuse should
result in the poster being prohibited in future.  It is my principle that the
news system should not interpret the contents of news articles that I am
thinking about.

I shall also take the same action against any poster who posts the same
article *separately* to several newsgroups, uses inappropriate newsgroups,
posts non source material to net.sources etc.

To summarise, the duty of preventing abuse is that of the news administrator
and not by checking the contents of a news article.  Computers are still not as
good a judge as a human.
--

len@geac.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) (11/21/86)

In article <325@viper.UUCP> dave@viper.UUCP (David Messer) writes:

> In article <764@axis.UUCP>, philip@axis.UUCP (Philip Peake) writes:
> >
> > Maybe NEWS 2.12 should have a modiffied version of spell included,
> > so that it rejects such terrible attrocities committed against
> > the english language !   [SIC]
>
>Need I say more?

Philip was discussing the manufacturing of words like
"disauthorized" when there exist perfectly acceptable words that
are already in the language.

Dave is apparently pouncing on Philip's typo "modiffied" and
trying to use this to invalidate Philp's argument. There is a
huge difference between typos (of which I have made more than I
can count in typing this reply) and the laziness of making up
words when you cannot be bothered thinking up a correct antonym
or noun/verb/adjective form of the word you are thinking of.

Len Vanek
Geac Computers
Markham, Ontario, Canada

UUCP: utzoo!yetti!geac!len

rick@seismo.UUCP (11/23/86)

Has anyone consider that the reason for the 50% rule is to see how
many sites have installed 2.11?

---rick

dww@stl.UUCP (11/25/86)

From the discussion so far, it is clear that an automatic check such as is
apparently in 2.11 (it hasn't been installed here yet) can cause stupid
problems, and can be avoided by the expert anyway.   So why not accept
that the only sensible use of such things is to computer-aid not to computer-
control?   By that, I mean that such a check should be used to remind the
poster that he/she has probably not made a very good job of trimmimg the
included material, and offer to re-enter edit for another try.   Not just
reject out of hand.

I think most people who have included too much thoughtlessly would accept
this and re-edit, whereas those who HAVE trimmed, but can put THEIR point in
only 1-2 lines (surely to be encouraged?), can make an intelligent
decision to go ahead with the posting, without having to add dummy lines.
As can those who are actually posting diff's.
--
Regards,
        David Wright          STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, U.K.

ben@catnip.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (11/25/86)

In article <325@viper.UUCP>, David Messer writes:

> In article <764@axis.UUCP>, philip@axis.UUCP (Philip Peake) writes:    ^
> >
> > Maybe NEWS 2.12 should have a modiffied version of spell included,   ^
> > so that it rejects such terrible attrocities committed against
> > the english language !   [SIC]                                       ^
>
>Need I say more?   -----------------------------------------------------^

Need I?

Only on usenet.
A user makes a spelling error.
Another user flames him, but his flame has a spelling error.
Now, a third user flames the second, and his article has a spelling error
too.

Duzn't anybudy no howe too spel aneemoore???  :-)

--

Ben Broder
{ihnp4,decvax} !hjuxa!catnip!ben

paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (11/26/86)

In article <42479@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV>, rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
> Has anyone consider that the reason for the 50% rule is to see how
> many sites have installed 2.11?

Since most "expreienced" posters can circumvent the 50% rule easily,
this probably won't tell you much as to who has 2.11 installed.  Seems
to me a better way would have been to implement a control message
(like senduuname), let's call it ``sendversion'', that would return
the the value of the NEWS_VERSION string.  Shouldn't be too hard, and
would certainly be more accurate than trying to deduce the answer
from the format and content of postings.

-Paul

--
Paul Sutcliffe, Jr.	 UUCP: {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!devon!paul
Devon Computer Services  COMPUSERVE: 76176,502

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Ken Arromdee) (11/27/86)

>The 50% rule is there, it seems to me, to catch the careless, not the
>malicious.  If it's going to take as much energy to beat inews as it
>would to edit the article, I think most users would opt for editing.
>We have a *lot* of accounts on sphinx (over 2500), and if people were
>inclined to entertain themselves by playing games with inews we'd be
>seeing some evidence of it.

I opted for "playing games".  Although it certainly takes more energy than
"editing", it only has to be done once and thus requires less energy overall.

DISCLIAMER: I am NOT saying I don't edit followup postings!
--
Look before you leap, but he who hesitates is lost.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: {allegra!hopkins, seismo!umcp-cs, ihnp4!whuxcc} !jhunix!ins_akaa

fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Erik E. Fair) (11/30/86)

The "version" control message already exists.

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

mlandau@Diamond.BBN.COM (Matt Landau) (12/01/86)

In news.misc (article <223@shuksan.UUCP>), root@shuksan.UUCP writes:
>I agree.  I would like to see the 50% rule waived for less than 20 lines.
>I also think there needs to be an override for the case mentioned by
>Brian Reid ( diff files with the ">" in the lines ).

So we can finally all stop talking about this, I'll point out that
the recently posted patches to 2.11 (posted by Rick Adams about 2 weeks
ago) do exactly these two things:  the 50% limit is only enforced on
articles more than LINECNT (default = 24) lines long, and diffs are
treated specially.

Followup to /dev/null, please.
--
 Matt Landau      	 		BBN Laboratories, Inc.
    mlandau@diamond.bbn.com		10 Moulton Street, Cambridge MA 02238