[news.misc] "Abuses" of the net

anderson@uwmacc.UUCP (Jess Anderson) (12/14/86)

In article <21062@styx.UUCP>, mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) writes:

> I'd appreciate it if Mr. Mozes, Mr. G. W. Smith, Mr. Harnad, and Mr.
> Ellis could conduct their pissing match by private correspondence
> or even in talk.philosophy.misc rather than this newsgroup.

> Michael C. Berch
> News/mail administrator, styx

Mr. Berch is entitled to his own opinion, but since his signature tells
us he is a news/mail administrator, maybe his vote counts for more than
one. It could also be that my vote counts for less than one.
   Be that as it may, it has not seemed to me that the persons referred
to were carrying on a "pissing match" at all. Still less does it seem
to me appropriate to move the discussion they and others have been
having to another group. Indeed what I find least comprehensible in
Berch's request is its timing; it's been very quiet on this topic for
some time now. I was despairing of ever hearing another word about it.
   Notice that I have placed quote marks around "abuses" in the subject
header. The issue, to a far greater degree than people yet recognize,
I think, is central to the free exchange of ideas in a society of
unlike-minded people. It is not a talk.* topic for that reason. It is
about usenet itself, and therefore belongs here and not elsewhere.
The net that has room for 18,000 jokes surely has room for 115 posts
or even 1500 posts to this group. How could anyone disagree that
every single one of the posts characterized above as a pissing
match (presumably therefore of no interest except to urophiles)
was inherently more valuable to the purposes of usenet (in all its
splendid diversity) than even the funniest of the jokes.
   The issue is censorship, the shutting off of available means
of communication because particular persons or groups using it do
not meet an arbitrary test of respectability (as though *that*
were an intellectually valid category!). It is surprising --
I'll go further, it is shocking, and to me disgustingly so --
that this question is not *flooding* this newsgroup with concern
for the issue at hand. It is my thesis here that one of the
major goals of a significant fraction of our society -- a fraction
much in evidence in this discussion heretofore -- is the intentional
reduction of options for the exchange of ideas, simply because one
set of options does not accord well enough with the preconceived
values (in my view, entirely frivolous and neurotic ones too) of
holders of another set of options. This is, therefore, another
instance of the triumph of darkness over light, reduction over
synthesis, and the sort of orthodoxy that imposes its will on
others without regard for anything other than its own continuance.
It is anti-science. It is anti-human. It is not acceptable.
--
==ARPA:==============anderson@unix.macc.wisc.edu===Jess Anderson======
| UUCP: {harvard,seismo,topaz,    (avoid ihnp4!)   1210 W. Dayton    |

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (12/15/86)

In article <678@uwmacc.UUCP> anderson@uwmacc.UUCP (Jess Anderson) writes:
> In article <21062@styx.UUCP>, mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) writes:
>
> > I'd appreciate it if Mr. Mozes, Mr. G. W. Smith, Mr. Harnad, and Mr.
> > Ellis could conduct their pissing match by private correspondence
> > or even in talk.philosophy.misc rather than this newsgroup.
>
> > Michael C. Berch
> > News/mail administrator, styx
>
> Mr. Berch is entitled to his own opinion, but since his signature tells
> us he is a news/mail administrator, maybe his vote counts for more than
> one. It could also be that my vote counts for less than one.
>    Be that as it may, it has not seemed to me that the persons referred
> to were carrying on a "pissing match" at all. Still less does it seem
> to me appropriate to move the discussion they and others have been
> having to another group. Indeed what I find least comprehensible in
> Berch's request is its timing; it's been very quiet on this topic for
> some time now. I was despairing of ever hearing another word about it.

I am mystified by this. I posted my article after wading
through eight or ten articles of the type I referred to. Today there
were four more, sandwiched around Mr. Anderson's article. Perhaps uwmacc is
simply not receiving these articles, in which case Mr. Anderson's remarks
might make sense.

His lengthy diatribe notwithstanding, the issue is not censorship nor
freedom of expression. The articles to which I referred, and which are
still in full flower, are puerile exchanges of the form "X hates
Objectivists. No he doesn't. Yes he does. No he doesn't. Well, Y is a
Randroid then. No he isn't. Yes he is. Does this belong in
talk.philosophy.misc? No it doesn't. Yes it does. No it doesn't. But Z
thinks that Objectivists should be banned from the net. No he doesn't.
Yes he does. No he doesn't. But Y is an Objectivist, so when he says
'abc', he really means 'def.' No he doesn't. Yes he does. No he doesn't."

If Mr. Anderson (or any of the rest of you) can find anything of
meaning in these articles, please clue me in. Perhaps I'm missing
something of lasting importance.

Michael C. Berch
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis-b.arpa
UUCP: ...!lll-lcc!styx!mcb   ...!lll-crg!styx!mcb  ...!ihnp4!styx!mcb

rupp@cod.UUCP (William L. Rupp) (12/17/86)

Keywords:No he doesn't, yes he does, do we care?

I agree, this back and forth name calling was fun to begin but has
long since run out of steam.  As opposed to hot air, of which there seems
still to be an ample supply.  I for one am very grateful to be able to
learn and share via this medium.  A minimum measure of courtesy therefor
seems an appropriate tone to maintain while using the net, but I realize
that not everyone shares that view.  More important, net users are
free to decide for themselves what type of language they
want to use.

Let's move on to more rewarding topics, keeping in mind that this is
a very wide open medium which affords us a wonderful opportunity to
share and learn, or, if we choose, to make complete fools of
ourselves on a world-wide basis.

hrh@well.UUCP (Harry Henderson) (12/18/86)

The subject of "news.misc" as I understand it is "issues concerning
the use of news that don't fit into a more specific context (such as
software bugs, etc.). I could see someone quoting flames from
talk.philosphy etc. as part of a discussion of what kind of writing is
appropriate, although I'm sure you've noticed that flaming is
contagious (flammable) such that discussions about flaming have a
distressing habit of bursting into flames themselves. But why do the
"philosophers" have to carry on their arguments here? Yes, they have
the "freedom" to do so, but misusing a newsgroup simply makes life
harder for everyone else who has to wade through inappropriate
messages, not to mention pay for them. The result is counterproductive
in that it's hard to give a fair hearing to the philosophical views of
people who insist on scrawling them over every billboard in town.

jc@piaget.UUCP (John Cornelius) (12/18/86)

In article <678@uwmacc.UUCP> anderson@uwmacc.UUCP (Jess Anderson) writes:
 >In article <21062@styx.UUCP>, mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) writes:
 >
 >> I'd appreciate it if Mr. Mozes, Mr. G. W. Smith, Mr. Harnad, and Mr.
 >> Ellis could conduct their pissing match by private correspondence
 >> or even in talk.philosophy.misc rather than this newsgroup.
 >
 >Mr. Berch is entitled to his own opinion, but ...........
 [Much, much more]

Very well, where do you propose that responsible persons go to carry on
courteous, responsible, and hopefully productive discussions?

--
John Cornelius
(...!sdcsvax!piaget!jc)