[news.misc] Lots of replicated articles

jc@cdx39.UUCP (John Chambers) (01/13/87)

Lately, we've been receiving two copies of lots of articles.
There are some common patterns in the replications.  They
are usually identical, except for three differences.  First,
the sequence numbers differ by one.  Second, the line counts
are usually different.  Third, one of them usually has two
copies of the .signature file.

The text appears to be identical in both articles.

Here are the headers from a recent example.  I'm not trying
to pick on the submitter, of course; he is almost certainly
not to blame.  I do suspect that the culprit is the postnews
(or inews) on ur-valhalla, but in fact this can't be determined
from where I am.  It is conceivable that some other system is
replicating the article, changing the sequence number (and
thus suppressing another valid article), and duplicating the
.signature stuff, but I kinda doubt it.  It would take some
rather sophisticated coding to replicate just the .signature
portion of an article, and I don't think anyone would do this
as a prank.

Anyhow, here are the headers.  I can give lots of other examples.
Perhaps if we get enough examples, we can find out who the culprit
is.  Its even possible that it's just our rnews that's doing it,
but I don't really think so.  I followed one of the replications
all the way into the compressed batch input, and both articles
were really there.

> From adelie!necntc!husc6!mit-eddie!rutgers!lll-lcc!seismo!rochester!ur-tut!ur-valhalla!badri Mon Jan 12 11:55:02 1987
> From: badri@ur-valhalla.UUCP (Badri Lokanathan)
> Newsgroups: comp.mail.uucp
> Subject: Routing mail over uucp overriding smail
> Date: 12 Jan 87 16:55:02 GMT

[Text deleted]

> Badri Lokanathan
> --
> "I care about my fellow man            {) ur-valhalla!badri@rochester.arpa
>  Being taken for a ride,              //\\ {ames,caip,cmcl2,columbia,cornell,
>  I care that things start changing   ///\\\ harvard,ll-xn,rutgers,seismo,
>  But there's no one on my side."-UB40 _||_   topaz}!rochester!ur-valhalla!badri
> --
> "We will fight for the right to be free {) ur-valhalla!badri@rochester.arpa
>  We will build our own society         //\\ {ames,caip,cmcl2,columbia,cornell,
>  And we will sing, we will sing       ///\\\ harvard,ll-xn,rutgers,seismo,
>  We will sing our own song."  -UB40    _||_  topaz}!rochester!ur-valhalla!badri

Here's the second copy.  Note that the sequence number is one
higher (994), and there's only one copy of the .signature file.

> From adelie!necntc!husc6!seismo!rochester!ur-tut!ur-valhalla!badri Mon Jan 12 13:56:52 1987
> From: badri@ur-valhalla.UUCP (Badri Lokanathan)
> Newsgroups: comp.mail.uucp
> Subject: Routing mail on uucp overriding smail
> Date: 12 Jan 87 18:56:52 GMT

[Text deleted]

> Badri Lokanathan
> --
> "We will fight for the right to be free {) ur-valhalla!badri@rochester.arpa
>  We will build our own society         //\\ {ames,caip,cmcl2,columbia,cornell,
>  And we will sing, we will sing       ///\\\ harvard,ll-xn,rutgers,seismo,
>  We will sing our own song."  -UB40    _||_  topaz}!rochester!ur-valhalla!badri

Anyone got any ideas?  Has this all been worked out before?  If so, can we
get together and gang up on the systems with the buggy inews (or whatever),
and get a good version installed?

[In order to satisfy the more-new-text-than-inclusion, here are lots of
blank lines:-]

--
	John M Chambers			Phone: 617/364-2000x7304
Email: ...{adelie,bu-cs,harvax,inmet,mcsbos,mit-eddie,mot[bos]}!cdx39!{jc,news,root,usenet,uucp}