[news.misc] extraneous "ReSent" header lines

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (01/13/87)

In article <MS.V3.20.ghoti.80020c0e.springdale.ibm032.923.0@andrew.cmu.edu> ghoti#@andrew.cmu.edu (Adam Stoller) writes:
> [usual B news header lines]
>ReSent-Date: Sun, 11 Jan 87 20:41:50 est
>
>ReSent-From: postman#@andrew.cmu.edu
>
>ReSent-To:nntp-xmit#@andrew.cmu.edu

>To: outnews#ext.nn.comp.sources.d@andrew.cmu.edu

> [text deleted]

I'm seeing increasing numbers of articles with all this extraneous
header information, separated by blank lines. rn can't be made to
skip this stuff, and it's a pain to read at 1200 baud. Would the
people responsible (at CMU?) please look into changing their software
so this junk doesn't appear?

While you're at it, I might suggest the Message-ID line is rather silly.
What's wrong with a simple sequential number, instead of nine pieces of
information separated by periods?

Thank you.

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{ ihnp4!utzoo  seismo!mnetor  utai  watmath  decvax!utcsri  } !lsuc!dave

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (01/15/87)

In article <1507@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
>I'm seeing increasing numbers of articles with all this extraneous
>header information, separated by blank lines. rn can't be made to
>skip this stuff, and it's a pain to read at 1200 baud...

Supposedly rn will hide any unrecognized lines if you say -hunrec.
If it doesn't it's busted.

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (01/16/87)

In article <1507@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
> >. . .
> >To: outnews#ext.nn.comp.sources.d@andrew.cmu.edu

> > [text deleted]
>
> I'm seeing increasing numbers of articles with all this extraneous
> header information, separated by blank lines. rn can't be made to
> skip this stuff, and it's a pain to read at 1200 baud. Would the
> people responsible (at CMU?) please look into changing their software
> so this junk doesn't appear?

I have seen these lines, but so far they've all been inside the
article header. Is is possible that they're getting munged into the
article body between CMU and lsuc? If they're inside the header rn can
suppress them; in my case I see them because I have "+hunknown" set.
They look like mail->news gateway stuff and in my opinion should be
suppressed by CMU's equivalent of recnews, as they have no external
relevance to the net.

> While you're at it, I might suggest the Message-ID line is rather silly.
> What's wrong with a simple sequential number, instead of nine pieces of
> information separated by periods?

I accept the small blessing that it is a legal message-id, unlike
some sites that seem to be unable to generate one.

Michael C. Berch
News/mail admin - styx
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis-b.arpa
UUCP: ...!lll-lcc!styx!mcb   ...!lll-crg!styx!mcb  ...!ihnp4!styx!mcb

mcb@styx.UUCP (01/17/87)

In article <3775@sdcrdcf.UUCP> lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) writes:
> In article <1507@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
> >I'm seeing increasing numbers of articles with all this extraneous
> >header information, separated by blank lines. rn can't be made to
> >skip this stuff, and it's a pain to read at 1200 baud...
>
> Supposedly rn will hide any unrecognized lines if you say -hunrec.
> If it doesn't it's busted.

I think what he means is that these lines have a blank line PRECEDING
or SEPARATING them, which of course punts them out of the header and
into the message body. Not to worry, Larry, rn is blameless here.

My understanding is that they're being munged by some site between CMU
and Toronto and have not been widely seen (in the message body) elsewhere.

Michael C. Berch

mjc@cad.cs.cmu.edu (Monica Cellio) (01/21/87)

>[Complaints about extraneous "Resent-from" lines and such in articles from
>CMU.]

That happens to articles from the andrew system (a network of PCs) and is
presumably (I'm not the news admin and don't know who the right person for
andrew is) the result of articles going through a mailer to get to the net.
I just checked on some recent articles posted from andrew, and when the
articles leave CMU there are no extra carriage returns in the headers, so
something must be munging them between here and there.

As for the bogus article-ids, I haven't got the faintest idea why they're
doing that.

						-Dragon
--
UUCP: seismo!rochester!cmu-cs-pt!!cmu-cs-cad!mjc    or if that doesn't work:
      {seismo, ihnp4, qantel, ucbvax!ucdavis} !lll-crg!dragon