[news.misc] Reading others' e-mail

ccplumb@watnot.UUCP (03/06/87)

In article <2990@ihlpg.ATT.COM> ejbjr@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Branagan) writes:
>Anyone at a large (or even small) technology-oriented company should
>expect all network transmissions - netnews and email - to be monitored.
>
>For private, directed email this seems to be a violation of privacy,
>but it is very legal (after all it is their machine your using) and very
>necessary in this dog-eat-dog corporate world - its far better than the
>alternative of NO email network and no netnews.
>
>If you don't want your system netnews administrator or company to read
>it, don't post it to netnews or send it with email - plenty of alternative
>media are available for your use which your company has no legal right
>to intercept.  Assume even private email messages might be read by anyone.

First of all, I don't believe this.  It would take many hours a day to read
every newsgroup, and an enormous amount of time to read mail.  Do you remember
the brouhaha about legislation (in the states, I think) making sysadmins
responsible for messages passed through their sites?  The universal opinion
was that this would be impossible, due to the sheer volume involved.

Secondly, you can always encrypt messages you don't want people poking into.

	-Colin Plumb (ccplumb@watnot.UUCP)

Zippy says:
With YOU, I can be MYSELF..  We don't NEED Dan Rather..