[news.misc] more on multiple .signatures

jef@unisoft.UUCP (03/10/87)

A couple of months ago, I posted an article here detailing my theory on
why double signatures are so common (because of the inconsistancy between
Pnews and Rnmail), and what to do about it (modify the scripts to append
the signature *before* going into the editor).  Since then, I've been
using my modified scripts and am very happy with them.  I've made some
more modifications too: removed all the stupid prompts and confirmations,
made Rnmail use MH's comp, et cetera.  All very useful.

However, I've noticed a new syndrome on the net, and I'm not sure what's
causing it: someone posts an article without a signature, and then
immediately posts a content-free followup saying "oops, my .signature
didn't appear, here it is in case you want to flame me or something".
This seems to be happening as often as the old variety of double sigs.

Can anyone explain this to me?  Is it due to some bug/incompatibility/
new feature in 2.11 news?  And more importantly, can we fix it??
---
Jef

 Jef Poskanzer  unisoft!jef@ucbvax.Berkeley.Edu  ...ucbvax!unisoft!jef
    "There are causes worth dying for, but none worth killing for."
                          -- Mahatma Gandhi

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (03/11/87)

In article <306@unisoft.UUCP> jef@unisoft.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) writes:
>However, I've noticed a new syndrome on the net, and I'm not sure what's
>causing it: someone posts an article without a signature, and then
>immediately posts a content-free followup saying "oops, my .signature
>didn't appear, here it is in case you want to flame me or something".
>This seems to be happening as often as the old variety of double sigs.
>
>Can anyone explain this to me?  Is it due to some bug/incompatibility/
>new feature in 2.11 news?  And more importantly, can we fix it??

This is not a new problem.  Inews runs as user "news".  If your
signature does not appear, it's probably because user "news" can't
read your .signature file.  Your .signature file must be readable by
the world.  Do that and it's fixed.

I suspect that the problem is more noticeable now because 2.11
postnews gives you another chance to fix your posting before letting
it go.  Anyone notice the decline in garbage postings lately (full of
wq's and other vi commands entered as text)?  The remaining problems
stand out more.
--
- Joe Buck 	{hplabs,ihnp4,sun,ames}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck
		seismo!epiwrl!epimass!jbuck  {pesnta,tymix,apple}!epimass!jbuck

mlandau@Diamond.UUCP (03/12/87)

In news.misc (<967@epimass.UUCP>), jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
> [Re: all those "Oops, that article didn't include my signature" articles]
>
>This is not a new problem.  Inews runs as user "news".  If your
>signature does not appear, it's probably because user "news" can't
>read your .signature file.

I suspect another component of the problem is the news 2.11 requirement that
a .signature file be <= 4 lines long in order for it to be included automatically.
The goal was to cut down on the number of articles consisting of 5 lines of
content and 20 lines of signature, a worthy goal indeed.  (I *hate* extremely
long, stupid signatures full of cute drawings!  Once you've seen them the
first time, they're just annoying noise, especially at 1200 baud!)

Unfortunately, the net has found a way around the restriction.  Now instead of
gettings lots of articles with 5 lines of content and 20 lines of signature, we
get articles with NO lines of content and 20 lines of signature.  For God's sake
people, will you just STOP IT?

As a relatively famous comic book vigilante might put it:
	You know what I wish?  I wish all the people who post 20 line
	signatures to the net had one throat, and I had my hands around it.
								-- Rorschach
--
 Matt Landau      	 		BBN Laboratories, Inc.
    mlandau@diamond.bbn.com		10 Moulton Street, Cambridge MA 02238

john@xanth.UUCP (03/12/87)

In article <306@unisoft.UUCP>, jef@unisoft.uucp (Jef Poskanzer) writes:
> [...] someone posts an article without a signature, and then
> immediately posts a content-free followup saying "oops, my .signature
> didn't appear, here it is in case you want to flame me or something".
> This seems to be happening as often as the old variety of double sigs.
>
> Can anyone explain this to me?  Is it due to some bug/incompatibility/
> new feature in 2.11 news?  And more importantly, can we fix it??

I'd be willing to bet that it has something to do with 2.11 news
refusing to allow a signature longer than 3 lines, then posting the
article anyway.  It should either include the signature before
entering the editor, as you suggest, or refuse to include the
signature *before* entering the editor, or take you back to the
"[send, list, edit, ...]" prompt after refusing to add the signature.

--
John Owens		Old Dominion University - Norfolk, Virginia, USA
john@ODU.EDU		old arpa: john%odu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

stever@videovax.UUCP (03/12/87)

In article <306@unisoft.UUCP>, Jef Poskanzer (jef@unisoft.UUCP) writes:

> A couple of months ago, I posted an article here detailing my theory on
> why double signatures are so common (because of the inconsistancy between
> Pnews and Rnmail) . . .

> However, I've noticed a new syndrome on the net, and I'm not sure what's
> causing it: someone posts an article without a signature, and then
> immediately posts a content-free followup saying "oops, my .signature
> didn't appear, here it is in case you want to flame me or something".
> . . .

The first few times I tried posting articles and sending mail messages,
I was caught by the "sometimes yes, sometimes no" bug that seems to lurk
in the mail and news software.  It was not clear to me (and, for that
matter, still isn't!) when the .signature file would be appended and
when it would not.

There is a reliable solution that produces one (1) and only one (1) copy
of the .signature file at the end of each message:

  1. Rename ~/.signature to ~/.sig (Note: "~" indicates home directory
     on 4.2BSD -- I'm sure VMS and CP/M-86 [ 8^( ] do it differently!)

  2. When the message is composed, do ESC->^X^I~/.sig (Gosling Emacs
     version), or whatever it takes in your editor on your system, to
     go to the end of the message and append the file.

It only takes two or three postings for this to become routine.  That's
how this .signature (hidden from the news and mail software as ~/.sig)
was appended:

					Steve Rice

new: stever@videovax.TV.TEK.COM
old: {decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <4276@videovax.Tek.COM> stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) writes:
	[Here's how I add my signature inside the editor.]
>It only takes two or three postings for this to become routine.  That's
>how this .signature (hidden from the news and mail software as ~/.sig)
>was appended:

>new: stever@videovax.TV.TEK.COM
>old: {decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

I think it's worth mentioning that the "standard" signature processing
puts a line before the information from ~/.signature that consists of
two minus signs (-) followed by a blank and the terminating newline.
Some people look for a line of this type to know when the signature
starts.  I'd suggest that if you decide to adopt Steve's suggestion, that
you use the "-- " line as the signature lead-in, so it will be recognized
by those who are looking for it automatically.
P.S.  The "~/" convention is also handled by the Korn Shell.
--
Ron Heiby, mcdchg!heiby		Moderator: mod.newprod & mod.os.unix
Motorola Microcomputer Division (MCD), Schaumburg, IL