[news.misc] seismo's load average

rick@seismo.UUCP (03/12/87)

Earlier this afternoon, ruptime reported at 15 minute load aver of
over 19,000,000 for seismo. Fortunately, the 5 minute average was
only 219.

Maybe the mail traffic is getting out of hand...

---rick

fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (03/12/87)

I've been watching the UUCP summary report of the traffic between
decvax and ucbvax since we separated netnews traffic out from UUCP on
that link, about three weeks ago.

Last week, we sent them seven megabytes. They sent us four.

The week before, we sent them eight megabytes. They sent us two.

All of that is Email, because we've done no UUCP file transfers, and
the netnews is flying between us through a different mechanism.

... and to think that I used to say that "mail traffic is a drop in the
bucket compared to netnews." (It was, when I last said it: two years
ago, as the postmaster/netnews admin for "dual").

	times, they are a changin',

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

dsc@izimbra.UUCP (03/12/87)

i've been keeping statistics on how much mail has been passing through
seismo since we converted to 3.2 over a month ago, and the preliminary
numbers are ~ 6.3 megabytes per day corresponding to ~ 7800 letters per
day.

dsc

`often seen it on the t.v.
 tiger run around the tree,
 follow the leader,
 run and join in the battle'

mason@tmsoft.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <45150@seismo.CSS.GOV> dsc@izimbra.UUCP (David S. Comay) writes:
>i've been keeping statistics on how much mail has been passing through
>seismo since we converted to 3.2 over a month ago, and the preliminary
>numbers are ~ 6.3 megabytes per day corresponding to ~ 7800 letters per
>day.
Can't say I'm surprised.  I checked my palias database:
	10333 sites
	 9812 go through seismo
Now, this site doesn't generate much volume of mail, but if these figures
are at all indicative of other sites on the eastern seaboard, seismo is
in danger of being killed by love. (from pathalias if no-one else :-)

Is seismo headed the way of ihnp4?  Connectivity can be a dangerous thing!
--
	../Dave Mason,	TM Software Associates	(Compilers & System Consulting)
	..!{utzoo seismo!mnetor utcsri utgpu lsuc}!tmsoft!mason