[news.misc] law and data privacy

george@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu (George R Boyce) (04/22/87)

In article <1073@epimass.UUCP> jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
>Foothead did not own any part of the machine he was using.  Ambar was
>using her root privs properly; I would do the same on my machine.

I probably would too, but I don't agree that it would be "right" or "legal".

> The system administrator not only has the right, but the
>DUTY, to investigate in cases like this.  If she had come across any
>confidential information in the process of investigating, it would be
>her moral obligation not to reveal it to anyone else.  But if she
>came across incriminating evidence -- burn the dude!

The majority of system administrators probably agree with you. And a lot
of bosses think they can search an employee's desk and every high school
principal thinks they can search a student's locker. A number of state
governments disagree though... At Cornell the policy is that we can not
even ask that the user sign away their right to privacy. But then Cornell
is a little strange sometimes...