[news.misc] RN wishlist

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (04/17/87)

I have some wishes for goodies in the new version of that cupsy newsreader, RN.

1.  An option to display the article titles (after kill processing) when
entering a new newsgroup without having to type "=' as a separate step.

2.  In the avove display, show each subject title only once, possible indicate
the number of srticles with the same subject.

3.  After reading an article, Rn currently searches for a followup or something
related.  If I select an article with a "/string" command, it would be nice
for rn to continue that search automatically.

4.  An intelligent Subject grabber that would bypass the spurious
"Submission to mod.foo" subject that serves only to enhance the moderators'
egos and display something useful such as the "real" Subject line

5.  The readnews feature I miss above all is intelligent handling of digests.
(Maybe #5 could be handled by starting "less" on the raw article?)

fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (04/18/87)

In article <522@omen.UUCP> caf@.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg) writes:
>5.  The readnews feature I miss above all is intelligent handling of digests.

The proper way to handle digests is not to have them at all.
They break all the netnews readers we have. They also usually
have incorrect, or unusable return addresses in them, useful only to
the mailer at the site that constructed the digest in the first place.

Digests are a form of message batching that the USENET has never
needed, because we put our message batching in the netnews transport,
invisible to the users.

	DEATH to digests!

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

	Chairman of the USENET Committee to Stamp Out Digests

kre@munnari.UUCP (04/18/87)

In article <18445@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU
(Erik E. Fair) writes:
> The proper way to handle digests is not to have them at all.

Nonsense.

> They break all the netnews readers we have.

That's a problem with the news readers, readnews does a fairly
good job of handling them.  The others could.

> They also usually
> have incorrect, or unusable return addresses in them, useful only to
> the mailer at the site that constructed the digest in the first place.

This is a totally specious argument.  The From: address in any usenet
article is constructed at the initiating site, and is no more likely
to be correct or incorrect at any particular reader's site than the
From: address in a digest.  I know that Erik isn't seriously proposing
that the Path: header in usenet articles is relevant to this.

> Digests are a form of message batching that the USENET has never needed,

If you view a digest as being solely a transport hack then I agree.
(Though "never" is a bit much, usenet didn't always have batching).
And indeed, some digests are no more than that .. when Erik got the
moderator of the Telecom digest to send the raw data instead of
the digested form I didn't mind at all, that digest had no advantages.

However, other digests are much more than the sum of their articles,
when AI-LIST started being sent to usenet undigested I unsubscribed
within a day or two, before then I had at least glanced at each issue.

I would hate to see RISKS or a few of the others split, SUN-SPOTS
and a bunch of others like that I wouldn't mind at all.

kre

chapman@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) (04/18/87)

In article <1568@munnari.oz> kre@munnari.oz (Robert Elz) writes:

>In article <18445@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU
>(Erik E. Fair) writes:

>> The proper way to handle digests is not to have them at all.

>If you view a digest as being solely a transport hack then I agree.
>And indeed, some digests are no more than that

>However, other digests are much more than the sum of their articles,
>when AI-LIST started being sent to usenet undigested I unsubscribed
>within a day or two, before then I had at least glanced at each issue.

>I would hate to see RISKS or a few of the others split, SUN-SPOTS
>and a bunch of others like that I wouldn't mind at all.

In general, I tend to agree with Erik on issues relating to news and
mail and networking and such, but this time, I must disagree, for about
the same reasons as Robert Elz.

There are certainly digest that are much more than just a dump of the
moderators inbox every week.  The example with which I'm most familiar
is the RISKS digest; Peter G. Neumann consistently does an excellent
job of moderating the discussions, keeping them on track, and killing
them when they begin to lose relevance (even if he does have an abhorrent
penchant for puns  :-).

I think part of the problem may be that "digests" are an artifact of
the internet; many (most?) of the "digest" newsgroups are actually
internet mail digest gatewayed into USENET (much of that gatewaying
is done at ucbvax, here at Berkeley, and maintained by Erik, so I'm
sure he's intimately aware of all this).  Looked at from the standpoint
of the internet, digests make a lot of sense.  Without them, you end up
with lots of little, mostly irrelevant, messages in your mailbox every
day.

The question is, should these internet digests be "undigested" at
whatever point they are gatewayed into the USENET?  I'd have to say
that's a decision to be made on a digest-by-digest basis; as pointed
out earlier, I certainly wouldn't want this to happen to RISKS; others,
I'm not so sure about.

Brent
--
Brent Chapman

chapman@mica.berkeley.edu	or	ucbvax!mica!chapman

mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (System Mangler) (04/26/87)

The primary impetus for this site joining Usenet was that I was
sick of digests.

I used to get Unix-wizards by ARPA mail, and that was ok.  Most articles
I would read once and discard, keeping the good ones for later.  I could
skip over long articles, and stop reading after any article, without
losing my place.  When it became a digest, I was presented with 1000
lines to read (without skipping) in one sitting, and if I wanted to
come back to any article, I had to go through the whole digest.
At 1200 baud.  (I read news over breakfast - it sure beats the back
of the cereal box).  I learned to detest digests so much that I got us
onto Usenet, against everybody's recommendations, just to avoid them.

In article <1568@munnari.oz>, kre@munnari.oz (Robert Elz) writes:
> readnews does a fairly good job of handling them.

I use 2.10.3 readnews, and it does not.  It has simplistic notions
of what starts an article, and is often fooled.  There is no reply
or followup command.  There is no erase (mark unread) command.
The save command doesn't properly interpret $NEWSBOX.  The only
thing it provides is moving around - something any text editor
can probably do better.

> I would hate to see RISKS or a few of the others split, SUN-SPOTS
> and a bunch of others like that I wouldn't mind at all.

SUN-SPOTS is the worst.  It has a delay measured in weeks, making
discussion impossible.	(Which is probably the main purpose of
digests).  Most of each digest is requests for information, with
few articles offering any answers, and typically those have already
appeared in other newsgroups.  This is quality?

Sign me up, Eric.  Death to digests!

Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {seismo,rutgers,ames}!cit-vax!speck

robert@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Robert Cray) (04/27/87)

In article <2481@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (System Mangler) writes:
>I used to get Unix-wizards by ARPA mail, and that was ok.  Most articles
>I would read once and discard, keeping the good ones for later.  I could
>skip over long articles, and stop reading after any article, without
>losing my place.  When it became a digest, I was presented with 1000
>lines to read (without skipping) in one sitting, and if I wanted to
>come back to any article, I had to go through the whole digest.

So just use MH and do a burst -- this seems to work fairly well, you can
reply to messages just as if they were sent directly to you, you can read
messages in an entirely haphazard way, then  do a "scan unseen" to see which
messages you have not read yet.  Also, you can have such things automatically
refiled into their own folders before you ever see them, so they dont clutter
up your mailbox, and so you can keep track of what was really sent to you,
and what was sent to you because you are on a mailing list.

					--robert

--
CSNET:   robert%jimi.cs.unlv.edu@relay.cs.net
UUCP:    {akgua,ihnp4,mirror,psivax,sdcrdcf}!otto!jimi!robert

dean@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP (04/28/87)

In article <554@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> robert@jimi.UUCP (Robert Cray) writes:
>In article <2481@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (System Mangler) writes:
>>                  When it became a digest, I was presented with 1000
>>lines to read (without skipping) in one sitting, and if I wanted to
>>come back to any article, I had to go through the whole digest.
>
>So just use MH and do a burst -- this seems to work fairly well...
>					--robert

I suspect (though I don't know) that this tool suffers from the same problem
that most news-mungers have: it can't help those of us who read news kept on
a remote machine.  To save having the news stored on every machine in sight,
we keep news on one machine and use network connections to read it (with a
special version of rn).  Digests are doubly annoying in that case because we
a) have a significantly long pause... while a digest article is shot over to
our current machine; and b) once it gets there we (I, at least) have to paw
through it at 1200 baud.

I don't have any religious feelings one way or the other about the worthiness
of digests, I just ask that those considering solutions keep in mind those of
us who read mail remotely and slowly, and therefore would like a chance to
see the headers of individual items before screening them.

-Dean	(dean@violet.berkeley.edu)

wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) (05/01/87)

	I would LOVE an option to shut off signature display so I would not
have to look at those 55 line "cute" pictures any more!
--
Michael R. Wayne	     Voice:  (313) 322-3986 |    philabs \
Working at (but not employed by) Ford Motor Company |    pyramid  !fmsrl7!wayne

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (05/06/87)

In article <876@fmsrl7.UUCP> wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) writes:
>	I would LOVE an option to shut off signature display so I would not
> have to look at those 55 line "cute" pictures any more!

Try -EPAGESTOP='^-- ' or something like that.

Then you just have to watch for '-- ' at the end of the page and hit 'n'..

This presumes your rn is at patchlevel 4.

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall

wtm@bunker.UUCP (Bill McGarry) (05/06/87)

In article <876@fmsrl7.UUCP> wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) writes:

>	I would LOVE an option to shut off signature display so I would not
>have to look at those 55 line "cute" pictures any more!

This is not exactly what you are looking for but it may help.  (This
is from the section on environment variables in the "rn" man page.)

     PAGESTOP
             If defined, contains a regular expression which
             matches article lines to be treated as form-feeds.
             There are at least two things you might want to do
             with this.  To cause page breaks between articles in
             a digest, you might define it as "^--------".  To
             force a page break before a signature, you could
             define it as "^-- $".  (Then, when you see "--" at
             the bottom of the page, you can skip the signature
             if you so desire by typing 'n' instead of space.) To
             do both, you could use "^--".  If you want to break
             on more than one pattern, you can use "|" to
             separate the alternatives.

             There is some overhead involved in matching each
             line of the article against a regular expression.
             You might wish to use a baud-rate modifier to enable
             this feature only at low baud rates.

             Default: undefined

				Bill McGarry

     PATH:  {philabs, decvax, fortune, yale}!bunker!wtm

ram@nucsrl.UUCP (Renu Raman) (05/07/87)

    How about an option for "newsaholics".  Monitor reading frequencies
    of groups and articles and either cut off access to that group beyond
    a threshold value or warn root as well as reader about the habituation.

    Also, I don't if "rn" has this feature, but notes does not.  String
    search within articles would be an useful feature.  many times, while
    reading long articles or searching for a topic/subject that was discussed
    would be greatly helped by this feature.
-------------------
Renu Raman				UUCP:...ihnp4!nucsrl!ram
1410 Chicago Ave., #505			ARPA:ram@eecs.nwu.edu
Evanston  IL  60201			AT&T:(312)-869-4276

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (05/09/87)

ram@nucsrl.UUCP (Renu Raman) wrote in article <3230001@nucsrl.UUCP>:
>Monitor reading frequencies of groups and articles and either cut off access
>to that group beyond a threshold value or warn root as well as reader ...

Can you say Big Brother?  I knew you could.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}