[news.misc] Traditional name genders

bill@sigma.UUCP (bill) (05/22/87)

In article <4028@teddy.UUCP> jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:
>I don't mean to fan the flames, but if I told people my name was
>"Linda", or "Sue", I would expect them to assume I was female, unless I
>specifically said otherwise.  I don't understand why Mark should be so
>annoyed - her name is a traditionally male one.

Ditto.

I mean, I was of age before I learned that Sidney was a male name (it is,
isn't it?), and it was quite a shock. I lived in a town with two quite
attractive young ladies my age named Sidney and Sidni, and dated one,
Sidney, for a while.

I know that they, especially Sidney, seemed to have no problems with the
"gender" of their names at all.

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!sigma!bill
	"The typical Midland (MI) family - moves away."