[news.misc] Response to abusive email.

dpw@unisec.UUCP (05/20/87)

In article <412@dasys1.UUCP> msmith@dasys1.UUCP (Mark E. Smith) writes:
>In article <511@unisec.usi.com>, dpw@unisec.usi.com (Darryl P. Wagoner) writes:
>> on your machine.  If a system administrator allows a person to
>> post an article from his machine without at least sending out a cancel
>> message then that SA has a problem.
>>

>What?  Would you explain that?
>
>Do you mean Ann's sysop, Reed College at the time, is liable for
>letting Ann post that original libellous and defamatory article about
>me, to which I did not respond with flames but merely asked why I was
>being publicly libelled and defamed?

What I meant was that the owner of the system can be sued for libel
if the administrator doesn't take reasonable care to insure that a libelous
statement is not generated and propagated from their system.  I am not
attempting to pass judgement on Mark's or Ann's actions.  I will not
comment of the remainder of Mark's article because it doesn't belong
in this news group.

A hint for News Admin's; if you put a line in your /usr/lib/news/sys like:

localgen:world,na,usa,comp,news,soc,talk,sci,rec,local,ne:L: /bin/mail root

you can keep a closer eye on what is going out of your machine without
having to read every news group.

--
Darryl Wagoner
UniSecure Systems, Inc.; 		dpw@unisec.usi.com

mandel@well.UUCP (05/21/87)

bvax.BERKELEY.EDU> <887@killer.UUCP>
Why am I getting the distinct impression that any disagreement
with Mark Ethan Smith is tantamount to a personal attack and/or
harassment?

--Tom Mandel	mandel@well.UUCP

P.S.  By the way, USENET is not a system entirely supported by
public funds.  It is paid for by the systems that participate,
many of which are computers owned by private companies.  In
one way or another, most, if not all, of the costs are passed
on to the various users.  First Amendment rights to freedom
of speech do not necessarily apply, although convention on the
nets is to permit great discretion.

benson@alcatraz.ksr.com (Benson Margulies) (05/21/87)

>Why am I getting the distinct impression that any disagreement
>with Mark Ethan Smith is tantamount to a personal attack and/or
>harassment?
>
>--Tom Mandel	mandel@well.UUCP

This is not a flame of Tom. He just provided the excuse.

Its too bad that none of you seem to have been active in 60's civil
rights. If you were, you would twig quicker.

When a person's perception of their life experience is one of constant
and unremitting discrimination, denigration, and other hostility, even
seemingly "minor" additional examples of the acts or attitudes are
going to become intolerable. Comments that doubt that 6 million died
send a lot of jews, including myself, right off the wall, no matter
how "reasonable" or even "humorous."

Its quite obvious that Mark is extraordinarily attuned to the
discrimination and denigration of women which is a constant and
unremitting feature of life in this society.

Whether or not you personally agree, and whether or not you personally
feel any responsibility for this state of affairs, the least you can
do (if you want to have any solidarity with feminism) is to grant
folks like Mark the right to their rage.

You may not like it, it may not be pleasant to hear, but that's just
too bad.

Note that this is NOT a defense of anything Mark has or will say or
do. It's not my intention to defend him, especially since I haven't
seen any of the traffic on soc.women. He may have done the moral
equivalent to blowing up building. That's not my point.

This post is entirely designed as an answer to people like Tom Mandel
(and even to a certain extent Erik Fair) who don't seem to see what
the fuss is about.

Back in the 60's, there were a lot of white people who didn't do much
of anything in the way of active discriminating, and didn't see what
the fuss was about. Those institutions seemed OK to them. Now it seems
that most people see it differently. Whatever you personally think
about the use of him/her/he/she, its no excuse not to see that the
dispute stems from some pretty serious nastiness in society.

But I can't resist suggesting one thought-experiment for people who
disagree with mark, and are males.

Imagine being referred to as "she" on an ongoing basis. Imagine it
hard. Examine your feelings. I'll be very surprised if down there
somewhere you don't feel insulted, and that the "accuracy" of the
reference is the least of the issues.

Benson I. Margulies                         Kendall Square Research Corp.
harvard!ksr!benson			    All comments the responsibility
ksr!benson@harvard.harvard.edu		    of the author, if anyone.

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (05/21/87)

>Imagine being referred to as "she" on an ongoing basis. Imagine it
>hard. Examine your feelings. I'll be very surprised if down there
>somewhere you don't feel insulted, and that the "accuracy" of the
>reference is the least of the issues.

I don't mean to fan the flames, but if I told people my name was
"Linda", or "Sue", I would expect them to assume I was female, unless I
specifically said otherwise.  I don't understand why Mark should be so
annoyed - her name is a traditionally male one.  If that bothers her so
much, I think she should take action: either change her name legally,
or take to using a nickname or other transformation of her name that
will not cause so much confusion.  Otherwise, she should not be
surprised at any gender confusion that occurs.

>This post is entirely designed as an answer to people like Tom Mandel
>(and even to a certain extent Erik Fair) who don't seem to see what
>the fuss is about.

I STILL DON'T understand what all the fuss is about.  I don't subscribe
to soc.women, I didn't see any of the fracas until it spilled over into
news.misc.  It appears to me that several people have overreacted to
some ordinary USENET flaming.  I have yet to see anything that looked
remotely like discrimination due to gender.  Can we please move on now?

Flames cheerfully redirected to /dev/null,

				John P. Nelson

ghoti+@andrew.cmu.edu (Adam Stoller) (05/25/87)

[This is from the view of an "outsider" - sorry about the length]

It has been intersting to see all this flaming - and is further intersting
due to the recent-ness (pardon the lack of pure gramatical correctness) of
the Foothead incident (for those of you in soc.women - this was another case
of someone allegedly doing something and getting their rights revoked - I
pass no judgement on whether or not the actions were warranted).

It seems to me, that a preventive solution to this in the future would be to
have a standardized form that people requesting accounts on various systems
would have to complete before receiving their account (this could be
email-ed, but might be more legal as a signed piece of US Mail).  In the
form, the requestee would be informed of the various rules and regulations
that this particular site feels should be obeyed, and thus laying down the
conditions under which someones account would be revoked.

To some degree, sysops could even send these forms to current users, so that
there wouldn't be problems of this sort creeping up again from someone who
has had an account prior to the initiation of such a program.

The form should obviously explain both the reasons for why an account would
be revoked and the process under which these reasons would be considered
justified (i.e. personal confrontation with the alledged abuser, prior to the
revoking) - After all this is the "innnocent until proven guilty" America
(isn't it? :-)

My reason for suggesting this comes partially from practicallity and
partically from the way our system is run.  Being both an academic site and
an arpanet site - we have guidelines from both the University and DARPA about
what is considered proper behavior, and what to do when someone abuses their
privelages.  So far, we haven't had too many problems - once someone posted
someone else's credit card numbers, but the incident was contained and the
post removed from the system as soon as it was noticed.  (I was not directly
involved with the incident, so I don't know what happened to the user's
account who posted the note)

As far as Mark Smith goes, I seriously feel that the issue at hand has been
burried under a tremendous amount of useless flaming - this has gone on so
long, that I am not sure I even remember what brought the entire issue to
light.  Whether or not Mark is male or female did not (as I recall) have much
bearing in the original perdicament, and merely came about in subsequent