[news.misc] A meta-comment, and a suggestion.

lou@hoxna.UUCP (05/28/87)

In article <387@unisoft.UUCP>, jef@unisoft.uucp (Jef Poskanzer) writes:

> < jef's comments re curtis re MES deleted>
>
> >this person is nothing but a deliberate trouble-maker and attention hound.
>
>  The above insinuation is revolting.

	What's most revolting is that he's making trouble and hounding
attention in news.*, instead of soc.*, where it belongs.   If I cared
about this stuff, I'd carry soc.line_noise.  So, why am I posting this?

A suggestion:  I think this whole brouhaha started over some questionable
material in soc.women.  Since having soc.women as an open group seems to
result in an uncomfortable environment for its readers, and in spill-overs
to other groups, I think soc.women should be *moderated*.  Remember
.women.only ?  The moderator's job would be simple: No postings by men.
Thus, no feminist vs. MCP flame wars.  No cross-posted garbage.  The
women get a for,by,and about women newsgroup.  Matter of fact, if
it goes over, *I'd* volunteer for moderator.  I mean this in all seriousness,
and with no implied sexism or denigration of anyone.  So flames>/dev/null.

                                                       Lou Marco

ps - Of course, people like MES would need a note
from their SA attesting to their sex.  Like for
the Security mailing list....

rcj@clyde.UUCP (05/29/87)

In article <1446@hoxna.UUCP> lou@hoxna.UUCP ( L. Marco ) writes:
}material in soc.women.  Since having soc.women as an open group seems to
}result in an uncomfortable environment for its readers, and in spill-overs
}to other groups, I think soc.women should be *moderated*.  Remember
}.women.only ?  The moderator's job would be simple: No postings by men.

I suggested this when the renaming scheme started, got a good moderator
acceptable to almost all factions (after a long search, I might add),
but the problem turned out to be that the readers of soc.women overwhelmingly
did NOT want their group moderated!  The usual comment was that that was
what the feminists mailing list was for.

By the way, women posting only was never considered; even the feminists
mailing list has male members.  Lou, I agree this discussion shouldn't
be here; if you're still interested in the idea drop me some mail and I'll
send you the name and mailing address of the moderator I found to help
you pursue the idea.

The MAD Programmer -- 201-386-4295 (Cornet 232)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!moss!rcj
			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua watmath  ]!clyde!rcj

ems@apple.UUCP (05/29/87)

In article <1446@hoxna.UUCP>, lou@hoxna.UUCP ( L. Marco ) writes:
> In article <387@unisoft.UUCP>, jef@unisoft.uucp (Jef Poskanzer) writes:
> >
> > < jef's comments re curtis re MES deleted>
> >
> > >this person is nothing but a deliberate trouble-maker and attention hound.
> >
> >  The above insinuation is revolting.
>
> 	What's most revolting is that he's making trouble and hounding
> attention in news.*, instead of soc.*, where it belongs.   If I cared
> about this stuff, I'd carry soc.line_noise.  So, why am I posting this?

I would like to second this reaction.  I don't know anything about the
cause of this flamage.  I don't know Mark E. Smith.  I don't know what
gender hesheit has (or does not have, or doesn't care about).  I don't
want to know anything about hisherit gender (or anything related to hisherit
reaction to hisherit gender or other folks reaction to the reaction or ...)

Can this garbage Please be moved back into soc.* so that news.* can have
some rational content restored?

> A suggestion:  I think this whole brouhaha started over some questionable
> material in soc.women.  Since having soc.women as an open group seems to
> result in an uncomfortable environment for its readers, and in spill-overs
> to other groups, I think soc.women should be *moderated*.  Remember

From what little I have seen of Mark E. Smith's postings hesheit would find
that an unacceptable restriction on hisherit's right to post whatever flamage
came into hisherit's mind.  While I generally find the idea of moderating
news groups to be an anathema, I would support most anything that got the
crud level down in this group ...

> .women.only ?  The moderator's job would be simple: No postings by men.

Hmmm, just a side thought ... how long would a 'mens only' club (newsgroup)
survive the feminist attack it would engender ?  Why are men so willing to
give women a space of their own, when women are so unwilling to reciprocate?

I know this question really belongs in some other news group; but then so
does this whole debate about MES...

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!sun!apple!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

gore@nucsrl.UUCP (05/29/87)

/ nucsrl:news.misc / lou@hoxna.UUCP ( L. Marco ) /  1:24 pm  May 28, 1987 /
>> >this person is nothing but a deliberate trouble-maker and attention hound.
>>
>>  The above insinuation is revolting.
>
>	What's most revolting is that he's making trouble and hounding
>attention in news.*, instead of soc.*, where it belongs.  [...]
>
>A suggestion:  I think this whole brouhaha started over some questionable
>material in soc.women.  Since having soc.women as an open group seems to
>result in an uncomfortable environment for its readers, and in spill-overs
>to other groups, I think soc.women should be *moderated*. [...]

But that would keep the noise out of soc.women, not out of the other groups.

Jacob

benson@alcatraz.ksr.com (Benson Margulies) (05/31/87)

This is really quite a spectacle.

Someone asks a sysop to pull mark's access to soc.women over a matter
of so-called net ettiquette. That person might or might not have had a
point. A discussion of the idea in net.misc is not an unreasonable
result.

The discussion moves here.

A collection of selfrighteous flamers move their
ready-at-the-drop-of-a-hat attacks on mark in here.

(selfrighteous:
omygodthenetisgodsgifttoallofusandifgodforbiditshouldgoaway
itwillbetheendoftheworldsoletsstomponanyonewhodoesanythingcontroversialby
ournarrowmindedstandards
)

(usual disclaimer: I'm responding to what I've seen in this newsgroup,
not anything that may have been said, done, aledged, or forged
elsewhere or elsewhen.)

Then the selfsame characters flame that mark is polluting news.misc.

The attitudes on display here show that mark can't possibly add an
increment of pollution to the net, at least on the subject of gender
relations.

When, and if, the people asking for this discussion to leave news.misc
learn to stop tossing in gratuitous insults to mark, women, and feminists,
then there is some chance that this discussion will go
away. Until then, kiddies, find your j key. Because I for one consider
it a net issue, not a soc issue, that people can in one line say
"let's not talk about this in news.misc", and on the next say
"feminists would never permit a men only newsgroup."

I am in no position to speak for feminists in general, but I can tell
you with great assurance that many feminists would be overjoyed to see
men talking out their more unsavory beliefs where the feminists didn't
have to see them. At the political principle goes: its the job of
members of the opressing group to fix their heads, not the job of the
oppressed to fix them for them.

Benson I. Margulies                         Kendall Square Research Corp.
harvard!ksr!benson			    All comments the responsibility
ksr!benson@harvard.harvard.edu		    of the author, if anyone.