[news.misc] Binaries/Shareware

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (05/26/87)

I'm now a 'paying' USENET member (by virtue of the uunet experiment),
I've been watching my phone costs using Jack Bonn's 'uucost' program.
I've subscribed to all the source groups.  Tonight I waited while 45
minutes of traffic came in over comp.sources.misc.  I could hardly
                                     -------
contain myself waiting to see what new goodies the net had brought
me.  Well, I was struck down with disappointment when I discovered
that the $2.25 I just spent was:
	1) A REPOST of
	2) A UUENCODED, BINARY copy of
	3) A SHAREWARE program (ARC520), which
	4) You can get on nearly any local RBBS

This came through a MODERATED group.  I was under the impression that
items 2) and 3) were strictly forbidden on the net.  And I thought
that the delays of having a moderated group were supposed to be
balanced by the benefits of eliminating these sort of postings.
I certainly didn't want to spend the money for this.  Any net-guru's
care to comment?

Give USENET source, or give it death!
--
	Rick Richardson, President, PC Research, Inc.
(201) 922-1134 (voice, nights)   OR   (201) 834-1378 (voice, days)

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/26/87)

>I'm now a 'paying' USENET member (by virtue of the uunet experiment),
>I've been watching my phone costs using Jack Bonn's 'uucost' program.
>I've subscribed to all the source groups.  Tonight I waited while 45
>minutes of traffic came in over comp.sources.misc.  I could hardly
>                                     -------
>contain myself waiting to see what new goodies the net had brought
>me.  Well, I was struck down with disappointment when I discovered
>that the $2.25 I just spent was:
>	1) A REPOST of
>	2) A UUENCODED, BINARY copy of
>	3) A SHAREWARE program (ARC520), which
>	4) You can get on nearly any local RBBS
>
>This came through a MODERATED group.  I was under the impression that
>items 2) and 3) were strictly forbidden on the net.  And I thought
>that the delays of having a moderated group were supposed to be
>balanced by the benefits of eliminating these sort of postings.
>I certainly didn't want to spend the money for this.  Any net-guru's
>care to comment?

Yes, we had this argument, what, a year ago?  Lots of yelling, the result
being that (basically) this is a net with lots of different people and
interests, and not everything out there is going to be (or should be) of
interest to everyone.  That's the breaks.  You found a case of something
that you can't use, but is of use to lots of other people.  That happens.

So, two comments:

o Isn't it wonderful that we live in a world where so many needs can be
	serviced at a relatively low cost?  And that there ARE so many
	different viewpoints and sources of informations?

o If we ARE going to restart this argument, can someone please let me know
	when it is over so I can resubscrive to the group? (As a side
	comment, traditionally when these flame wars start up, the argument
	takes up a LOT more net bandwidth than the original "problem" and
	gets a lot less accomplished)

Enjoy diversity!

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity

campbell@maynard.UUCP (05/27/87)

In article <315@pcrat.UUCP> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) gripes about:

>	1) A REPOST of
>	2) A UUENCODED, BINARY copy of
>	3) A SHAREWARE program (ARC520), which
>	4) You can get on nearly any local RBBS

I agree.  I, also, was annoyed to have spent real money and tied up valuable
disk space for binaries for a machine I don't even own, and even if I did
it wouldn't be running the "operating system" (I'm using the term *very*
loosely) for which the aforementioned program was intended.

Please let's keep binaries off the net.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.BSW.COM          120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

jeff@necntc.UUCP (05/28/87)

In article <922@maynard.BSW.COM> campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:
>I agree.  I, also, was annoyed to have spent real money and tied up valuable
>disk space for binaries for a machine I don't even own, and even if I did
>it wouldn't be running the "operating system" (I'm using the term *very*
>loosely) for which the aforementioned program was intended.

This is a very narrow view of things - you are not forced to accept
any and all news groups that exist; that is what the backbones are
there for.  Ask you feeds not to transmit the binary groups and
your 'gripe' is mute. Any other group you don't like can receive a
similar fate.

Some things take a long time to sink in...

enough said,
jj
--
Jeff Janock - NEC Electronics +1 617 655 8833 jeff@necntc.NEC.COM
{ames, decvax, harvard, linus, mit-eddie}!necntc!jeff

sl@van-bc.UUCP (05/28/87)

In article <***@*******.***.***> ********@*******.**** (***** ********) writes:
>In article <***@*****.****> ****@*****.**** (**** **********) gripes about:
>
>>	1) A REPOST of
>>	2) A UUENCODED, BINARY copy of
>>	3) A SHAREWARE program (ARC520), which
>>	4) You can get on nearly any local RBBS
>
>I agree.  I, also, was annoyed to have spent real money and tied up valuable
>disk space for binaries for a machine I don't even own, and even if I did
>it wouldn't be running the "operating system" (I'm using the term *very*
>loosely) for which the aforementioned program was intended.

If nothing else UUNET promises to bring some reality into this net.

The backbone sites have been complaining about this for ages. All they got
for their troubles was flame after flame after flame. I mean we all have the
RIGHT to post this stuff don't we.

Quit complaining guys. You're in the same boat as the backbone and everyone
else who pays for their feed. And yes you will continue to get stuff that
you really don't want. You also knew the types of things that your where
likely to get when you signed up for UUNET.

The whole rational behind Usenet is transporting a lot of junk around so that
you find the pearl hidden inside. If everyone had the same ideas about what
constituted a valuable posting we could get rid of 95% of the traffic.
Unfortunately everyone has a different idea about what they want to send and
receive. So we get a large volume of traffic most of which is only
marginally interesting to a small number of people.

As far as I can see the problem is probably going to get worse before it
gets better. However sites like UUNET may actually help reduce your costs.
Because they are being PAID to do so they will carry anything and everything
(within reason) that there is a demand for. But YOU don't have to download
it. Just tell them what groups you want.

Of course this only works well if you are not a backbone site yourself. But
even if you are, with some scrutiny of your user base (including the users
downstream) you may be able to reduce your load.

I think we will find the structure of Usenet changing over the next year or
so. The current backbone sites are getting to the point of not wanting to
carry the load. UUNET if it succeeds will show them how to gracefully back
out. So a year or two from now we will all probably be paying a small amount
for our news, rather than a few sites paying large amounts.

This will be a good thing for Usenet. It will force an appreciation of the
net on more of the users. As with most things you enjoy most what you work
and pay for. Things that are free are easily abused and discarded when your
interest lags.

--
Stuart Lynne	ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

campbell@maynard.UUCP (05/28/87)

In article <5164@necntc.NEC.COM> jeff@necntc.NEC.COM (Jeff Janock) writes:
]
] In article <922@maynard.BSW.COM> I wrote:
] ] I, also, was annoyed to have spent real money and tied up valuable
] ] disk space for binaries for a machine I don't even own...
]
] This is a very narrow view of things - you are not forced to accept
] any and all news groups that exist; that is what the backbones are
] there for.  Ask you feeds not to transmit the binary groups and
] your 'gripe' is mute...

You're forgetting that the original posting about which we complained
was in comp.SOURCES.misc.  If it was in a binaries only newsgroup I
wouldn't have minded, since we junk those groups.

Maybe we need a comp.binaries.ibmpc?
--

rick@pcrat.UUCP (05/28/87)

In article <5164@necntc.NEC.COM>, jeff@necntc.NEC.COM (Jeff Janock) writes:
> In article <922@maynard.BSW.COM> campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:
> >I agree.  I, also, was annoyed to have spent real money and tied up valuable
> >disk space for binaries for a machine I don't even own ...
> This is a very narrow view of things - you are not forced to accept
> any and all news groups that exist; that is what the backbones are
> there for.  Ask you feeds not to transmit the binary groups and
> your 'gripe' is mute.

The group it was posted to was the "moderated" comp.sources.misc group,
the replacement for the old net.sources(?).  I don't see anything in the
name that suggests that this is a binary group, nor anything in the
description of it.  I don't think it is too much to ask that sources
groups restrict themselves to sources only.
--
	Rick Richardson, President, PC Research, Inc.
(201) 922-1134 (voice, nights)   OR   (201) 834-1378 (voice, days)
		seismo!uunet!pcrat!rick
		ihnp4!castor!pcrat!rick

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) (05/29/87)

Rick Richardson complained about finding a binary posting in
comp.sources.misc.  In article <5164@necntc.NEC.COM>,
jeff@necntc.NEC.COM (Jeff Janock) writes:

> Ask you feeds not to transmit the binary groups and your 'gripe'
> is mute.

This gripe is mute.  Rick paid to transfer what was listed as a
SOURCES group.  There is no way for him to know, in advance, that
a binary posting was lurking in there.  Dropping this newsgroup
from his feed will not solve his problem at all.

--
David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon	PhoneNet:  (202) 694-6900
UUCP:  *!seismo!sundc!hqda-ai!merlin	ARPA:  merlin%hqda-ai@seismo.css.gov

alvitar@madhat.UUCP (05/30/87)

In article <315@pcrat.UUCP>, rick@pcrat.UUCP writes:

> I'm now a 'paying' USENET member (by virtue of the uunet experiment),
> ... Tonight I waited while 45 minutes of traffic came in over
> comp.sources.misc ...
> [complaint about binary, uuencoded sharware posted to comp.sources.misc]
> I certainly didn't want to spend the money for this.

We  are  also  paying  to  get  comp.sources.*  via UUNET and I was also
unhappy   about   paying   for  something  which  should  have  gone  to
comp.binaries  and for which I have absolutely no use.  I appreciate the
work  the  moderator  is  doing, but I hope in the future he will accept
only source.

BTW,  we  are VERY happy with the UUNET service.  I hope many sites will
subscribe  so  that  the service will survive.  It is the best hope many
remote  sites  have for getting news at a reasonable cost.  Remember, if
you don't support UUNET now, it may not be there when you need it.

I guess I'm beginning to sound like a UUNET commercial?  :-)

--
Live: Phil Harbison
USPS: 3409 Grassfort Drive, Huntsville, AL 35805-5421

alvitar@madhat.UUCP (Phil Harbison) (06/01/87)

In article <922@maynard.BSW.COM> campbell@maynard.UUCP writes:
> I agree.  I, also, was annoyed to have spent real money and tied up
> valuable disk space for binaries for a machine I don't even own...

In article <5164@necntc.NEC.COM>, jeff@necntc.NEC.COM (Jeff Janock) writes:
> This is a very narrow view of things - you are not forced to accept
> any and all news groups that exist; ... Ask you feeds not to transmit
> the binary groups and your 'gripe' is mute.

You are missing the point.  Our complaint is not that binaries were posted
to the net, but that they were posted to comp.sources.misc.  Feel free to
post all the binaries you wish to comp.binaries.*, but don't defeat our
choice not to pay to receive binaries by posting them in the wrong group.

I'm sure this only happened because Brandon is new at the job, and being
a very rational fellow, probably won't let it happen again.  I certainly
hope this criticism is being taken constructively.  Overall, he is doing
a very good job.