[news.misc] retraction

rcj@clyde.UUCP (05/28/87)

I hereby retract my statements regarding Mark Ethan Smith, as I
have been informed by very reliable sources that:

a) I missed the earlier discussion where it was mentioned that MES
*is* her legal name, as changed by her, and

b) Mark Ethan Smith is alive and well and a Real (tm) person;
not someone else masquerading.

The MAD Programmer -- 201-386-4295 (Cornet 232)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!moss!rcj
			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua watmath  ]!clyde!rcj

Aside to Jef Pokanzer (sp?): Sometimes insinuations are more fun than
the real thing.  Sorry you didn't think so.  As it was I generated the
and possibly embarrassing an innocent person by naming them.

era1987@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP (05/29/87)

In article <9729@clyde.ATT.COM> rcj@clyde.ATT.COM (Curtis Jackson) writes:
>I hereby retract my statements regarding Mark Ethan Smith, as I
>have been informed by very reliable sources that:
>
>a) I missed the earlier discussion where it was mentioned that MES
>*is* her legal name, as changed by her, and
>
>b) Mark Ethan Smith is alive and well and a Real (tm) person;
>not someone else masquerading.
>
>The MAD Programmer -- 201-386-4295 (Cornet 232)
>alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!moss!rcj
>			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua watmath  ]!clyde!rcj
>
>Aside to Jef Pokanzer (sp?): Sometimes insinuations are more fun than
>the real thing.  Sorry you didn't think so.  As it was I generated the
>and possibly embarrassing an innocent person by naming them.

Well, if Curtis can have fun, there's no reason I can't have fun too,
particularly if it won't anger or embarass her.

I appreciate Curtis making her retractions, however she doesn't seem
to understand that defamatory speculating about others is not an
innocent pastime and can hurt people.  I would assume that Curtis is
her real legal name and I would see no reason to discuss or challenge
that, however it is quite possible that she is a paranoid prude
who simply wants to avoid sexual harassment and changed her name to
conceal her female genitals.  How would I know?  While I would
ordinarily not intrude on somebody's privacy, she seems to feel that it
is innocent to speculate about my genital status.  If she is not paranoid,
why doesn't she tell people that despite having a name like Curtis, she
really prefers female pronouns because without them she has difficulty
attracting sexual harassment, obscene phone callers, hatemail, obscene
death threats, etc?  And if she is male, does that mean that she is
too unintelligent to learn to respect other people's privacy?

In this society, due to the prevalence of porn, is it a crime for a
person to conceal their genitals?  If private parts aren't private, what's
private?

Again, names and pronouns are not biological, genetic, or secondary sex
characteristics.  And if you only look between their legs, you'll never
understand that all men are created equal.  If it is innocent for Curtis
to discuss my sex in news.misc, it must be equally innocent and appropriate
for me to speculate about hers and to use pronouns to refer to my
speculation about her genital organs rather than the ones usual to her name.

Grow up and cut it out.  There are hundreds of women in the phone book
using initials rather than their names to avoid harassment.  You cannot
possibly expose them all, even if you devoted your life and wealth to it.
When you respect others, they'll respect you.  My sex isn't computeer
related news.  My name is indeed my true legal name and entitled to the
same respet as her name, which I will, in the future be careful to accord
her and anyone else who can't refer to me without sneaking in a blow
below the belt.

If Curtis wishes to retract her ungrammatical usage, I'll retract mine.
If she believes that all computer-related postings must be made with
specific regard to the genitals of the person posting, I feel sorry for her.

When I use feminine or diminutive pronouns to refer to somebody who is
accustomed to and normally accorded the same masculine or inclusive
pronouns I am accustomed to, I don't do it based upon gender.  I do it
to keep us on equal terms.  If they can't use masculine pronouns in their
inclusive sense, I can certainly use feminine pronouns in their diminutive
sense, to indicate that the person judges others by what's between their
legs, rather than what they said, and is therefore a diminutive or lesser
intelligence as far as I'm concerned.  That wasn't a retraction she posted,
it was a gender-based snipe, and she deserves the same in return without
regard to her sex.  If she accords terms of reference and respect based
on gender, I accord them based on intelligence and respect for the rights
and privacy of others.

I don't know whose privacy she thinks she is protecting, but it certainly
isn't mine.  One of the people spreading defamatory allegations about me,
perhaps?  Defamation is not an innocent pastime and deserves no protection.

As for Jef, he is one of the people who objected when the Well pulled
my password.  Jef doesn't agree with me on many topics, such as Affirmative
Action, but he does believe in free speech and opposes censorship--not
just for pornography and obscenity, but also for feminist views and other
legal, if not strictly Libertarian, points of view.  I have a lot of
respect for Jef because even when he didn't agree with what I said, he
attempted to defend my right to say it.

--Mark

cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) (05/29/87)

>[...]  If they can't use masculine pronouns in their
>inclusive sense, I can certainly use feminine pronouns in their diminutive
ok, if i do as YOU say and use he/him/his inclusively - you won't flame me but
	all the rest of the other fanatic feminists (as opposed to non-fanatics
	who i approve of) will have me shot.
if I use she for women, he for men, of s/he then you will flame me saying i'm
	only interested in genitals......

	AND MORE IMPORTANT WHAT THE @(*#&$(*@#&$( IS THIS DOING IN NEWS.MISC...

discuss just the removing of accounts and what justifies them here, move the
rest to soc.women ONLY.....(followups there ONLY)

-ed

maslak@sri-unix.ARPA (Valerie Maslak) (05/29/87)

I suggest that we all read this latest posting of Mark's very
carefully.

I felt a very strong reaction, in terms of attitude toward the
person being discussed, through the use of the feminine pronoun.
And, it wasn't the one I would have expected, given all the
accusations of man-hater that are thrown at me here.

Well done, Mark. I got a jolt, which is, I think, what you hoped to
accomplish.

Sexism is sometimes a very subtle and insidious phenomenon.

Valerie Maslak

marv@vsedev.UUCP (05/30/87)

In article <3767@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> era1987@violet.berkeley.edu () writes:
>Grow up and cut it out.  There are hundreds of women in the phone book
>using initials rather than their names to avoid harassment.  You cannot
>possibly expose them all, even if you devoted your life and wealth to it.

   Mark, There are millions of men, women, children, *people* who harrass
on a sexual basis as well as other bases (e.g. financial) and you can't
possibly expose them all, even if you devoted your life and wealth to it.

   I understand what you are saying...I do not necessarily agree with it but
I completely respect and appreciate your feelings on the subject.

Try to understand what I am saying: Surround yourself with *people* who
understand and agree. Forget the rest...If you surround yourself with
enough people, then *maybe* you can hope to change society as we understand
it. Until then, you are fighting this war with a cap gun.

                             -marvin

Surround yourself with people who you *know* understand. Forget the rest
you will find youself a much happier person...

--
Marvin Raab                                      Arlington, VA 22202
   ...!seismo!vsedev!marv                        703-521-5449 (h)

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (05/30/87)

So, Mark, could you supply more details on what happened at the Well,
why you think they turned off your account, and whether you think they
were justified? Keep in mind that the Well is not a Federally funded
operation in any sense of the word.
--
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

era1987@violet.berkeley.edu (05/31/87)

In article <16895@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:

>So, Mark, could you supply more details on what happened at the Well,
>why you think they turned off your account, and whether you think they
>were justified? Keep in mind that the Well is not a Federally funded
>operation in any sense of the word.

I've reported what they told me.  If you want further details, why not
ask some of the people from the Well who have been making personal attacks
on me here, to supply the details here instead?  I'm interested to know
why they would censor feminist or egalitarian views, but not censor porn,
obscenity or swastikas.

The Well got its hardware from tax exempt entities called NETI and Point
Foundation.  It got its software free on a beta test and probably got a
free newsfeed.  It resells the resources it got for free, and provides
a service for Libertarians and those whose views agree with those of
Well management.  They refused to sell their services to me because my
views differed from theirs.

--Mark

phil@amdcad.UUCP (06/01/87)

In article <3788@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> era1987@violet.berkeley.edu () writes:
<I've reported what they told me.  If you want further details, why not
<ask some of the people from the Well who have been making personal attacks
<on me here, to supply the details here instead?  I'm interested to know
<why they would censor feminist or egalitarian views, but not censor porn,
<obscenity or swastikas.

I'm sorry, I came in in the middle. But it seems hard to believe anyone
would turn off an account just because it was being used by a feminist.

--
Bumper Snicker: If this car were a horse, it would have to be shot!
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

ems@apple.UUCP (Mike Smith) (06/01/87)

In article <3788@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, era1987@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
> In article <16895@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
> >
> >So, Mark, could you supply more details on what happened at the Well,
> >why you think they turned off your account, and whether you think they
> >were justified? Keep in mind that the Well is not a Federally funded
> >operation in any sense of the word.
>
> I've reported what they told me.  If you want further details, why not
> ask some of the people from the Well who have been making personal attacks
> on me here, to supply the details here instead?  I'm interested to know
> why they would censor feminist or egalitarian views, but not censor porn,
> obscenity or swastikas.

Well  'Well' ?  Is this assertion true?  Did you pull the account for
the political views of the user?  If so, I would expect it to be a moral
injustus, but is it illegal?  Is 'Well' a public company?  And does it
support 'porn, obscenity, or swastikas'?  (I'm not sure how to post a
swastika.  I could make on on my Mac if I worked at it, but it aint in
the ASCII set.  I suppose one could paste it together out of dashes and pipes.)

> The Well got its hardware from tax exempt entities called NETI and Point
> Foundation.  It got its software free on a beta test and probably got a
> free newsfeed.  It resells the resources it got for free, and provides
> a service for Libertarians and those whose views agree with those of
> Well management.  They refused to sell their services to me because my
> views differed from theirs.

Did Well buy the hardware or was it donated?  If bought, I see no importance
to the legal nature of the source.  Many beta test sites take software on
a free or low payment basis in exchange for the burden of debugging.  There
are many other sites that pay full price for SW licences and take beta
SW because it is {earlier dilivery, has a needed feature, more fun, etc.}.

To the best of my knowledge, noone charges their neighbor for a newsfeed.

Conclusion?  To me, at least, the issue of free beta software and free
newsfeed is not important.  The issue of a tax exempt organization providing
the HW is.  If it was a donation, things could be sticky.  If it was a
purchase from NETI, then it is a non-issue.  If well is a private business
run as such it can (and must) set it's own guidlines for what is acceptable
behaviour.  Even if it sells time publicly, I would not expect it to be
bound to provide survices to all comers.

But if it recieves any public subsidy I think the rules change...

Does anyone know the legal organization of the Well?  What does it's charter
say?

A parallel -  If I go down to the local Red Neck newspaper and try to buy
ad copy space for a full page promotion of the local Comunist Party
rally; I would expect to be denied on the grounds of editorial licence.
Similarly, a KKK anouncement in the local Black Journal would also be
denied.  How is this different from a site, selling time, showing the
same editorial control/oppression?

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!sun!apple!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

david@ukma.UUCP (06/02/87)

In article <890@apple.UUCP> ems@apple.UUCP (Mike Smith) writes:
>In article <3788@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, era1987@violet.berkeley.edu writes:

>>   I'm interested to know
>> why they would censor feminist or egalitarian views, but not censor porn,
>> obscenity or swastikas.

I think be may be referring to a couple of the more ... er ...
controversial issues of CoEvolution Quarterly (now Whole Earth
Review).  Porn (very soft porn tho'), obscenity, and swastika's have
all appeared in there.  But feminist and egalitarian views have also
appeared.  They will publish just about anything... but they do have
lean towards certain things...

>> The Well got its hardware from tax exempt entities called NETI and Point
>> Foundation.  It got its software free on a beta test and probably got a
>> free newsfeed.  It resells the resources it got for free, and provides
>> a service for Libertarians and those whose views agree with those of
>> Well management.  They refused to sell their services to me because my
>> views differed from theirs.

>Did Well buy the hardware or was it donated?  If bought, I see no importance
>to the legal nature of the source.  Many beta test sites take software on
>a free or low payment basis in exchange for the burden of debugging.  There
>are many other sites that pay full price for SW licences and take beta
>SW because it is {earlier dilivery, has a needed feature, more fun, etc.}.

I've researched this as best as I can.  Unfortunately Stewart Brand
wasn't very detailed about the funding or other aspects of the WELL
when they first announced it.  He was simply talking about regional
computer networks and the neat things they could be.  Anyway, he also
talks as if they *own* the WELL, and he mentioned NETI as something
like a sister organization.  The last point is that another issue has a
financial report from the WELL in the back.  (CoEv and WER have always
included financial reports in every issue; which, BTW, they usually
show a loss; in the summer '86 issue the WELL showed a $14000 loss on
$44000 in expenses).  Also, the WELL's computer is physically located
*in* their offices at 27 Gate Five road in Sausalito.

At the time the WELL got started, Point was flush with money because
they had just done the Whole Earth Software Catalog (v1.0 and v2.0).
I'm sure they bought the hardware.

As for my opinion on removing peoples' access?  I kinda like the Golden
Rule myself.  ("Thems that gots the gold makes the rules").  Actually,
I don't think I really like that rule, but I do live by it because the
world lives by that rule.  If my boss wanted me to cut off someones
access then I would do so.
--
----- David Herron,  cbosgd!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET, david@ms.uky.csnet
----- (also "postmaster", "news", and the Usenet map maintainer for Kentucky.)

bandy@amdcad.UUCP (06/03/87)

In article <3788@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> era1987@violet.berkeley.edu () writes:
>I'm interested to know
>why they would censor feminist or egalitarian views, but not censor porn,
>obscenity or swastikas. [...] They refused to sell their services to me
>because my views differed from theirs.

Mark Smith was tossed off of the Well because of Mark's abuse of host account
privs and for causing large amounts of disruption.  There are plenty of
feminists and egalitarians on the Well, as well as people whose views differ
from the Well management's views.

"Porn" and "obscenity" are in the eyes of the beholder.

There are no swastikas on the Well.

Mark, do you care to elaborate on the swastikas?  If you are going to make
such sensationalist claims, you should be backing them up with facts.

>The Well got its hardware from tax exempt entities called NETI and Point
>Foundation.

The Well got its hardware and software from NETI, a for-profit corporation.
They did this as an investment, as you may have expected.

>[...] and probably got a free newsfeed.

There are very few sites in the USA that have to pay their neighbour to give
them a newsfeed, if any.  [This is, of course, not counting phone bills]
--
Andrew Scott Beals, {lll-crg,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!bandy +1 408 749 3683

--
Andrew Scott Beals, {lll-crg,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!bandy +1 408 749 3683

era1987@violet.berkeley.edu (06/03/87)

In article <16959@amdcad.AMD.COM> bandy@amdcad.AMD.COM (Andy Beals) writes:
>In article <3788@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> era1987@violet.berkeley.edu () writes:
>>I'm interested to know
>>why they would censor feminist or egalitarian views, but not censor porn,
>>obscenity or swastikas. [...] They refused to sell their services to me
>>because my views differed from theirs.
>
>Mark Smith was tossed off of the Well because of Mark's abuse of host account
>privs and for causing large amounts of disruption.  There are plenty of

Whoa!  Nobody was tossed off for disruption.  Hosts were given free time
even if they spent more than 90% of it disrupting my conference and
totally ignored their own--disruptiveness was protected under free speech.
The Well admitted there were plenty of hosts more disruptive than I,
particularly since, due to their attacks on me, I first stopped posting to
any conference but my own, and then withdrew to a private conference when
that didn't help.  How can I be disrupting my own conference?  Why weren't
the hosts who disrupted my conference daily by making persistent ad hominem
attacks on me considered disruptive?  And the punishment for abusing host
privileges, although I was not accused of that, and others were, is to
have host status (free time) removed, not to have a password pulled.

>feminists and egalitarians on the Well, as well as people whose views differ
>from the Well management's views.

There was only one other feminist on the Well that I know of when I was
tossed off.  There had been three others, all paying users, not all female,
but all feminists, who left the Well due to the attacks on me.  The Well
did not seem to mind the loss of income, but seemed to be happy that I would
have less support.

The Whole Earth Review had published articles opposing abortion and
advocating sadomasochism, by women who may have called themselves feminists,
but mainstream feminist thought prefers non-dominance relationships and
supports free choice.

>"Porn" and "obscenity" are in the eyes of the beholder.

Porn is in the eyes of the beholder in that if it is specifically porn,
rather than erotica, it is designed to appeal to only one sex, and may
not be particularly appreciated by the other, exploited, sex.  Obscenity
is used freely on both the Well and in Whole Earth Review, and has never
been seen as offensive enough to censor unless written by a woman.

>There are no swastikas on the Well.
>
>Mark, do you care to elaborate on the swastikas?  If you are going to make
>such sensationalist claims, you should be backing them up with facts.

Yes, the Well and the Whole Earth Review are both edited by Kevin Kelly.
In pulling my password for offensiveness, it was obvious that there were
others more offensive than I who did not have their passwords pulled.  But
Kevin had published swastikas in the Whole Earth Review, and in an editorial,
said that they did it to celebrate free speech--to show that they will
even publish things that they might personally find offensive.  My question
is why Kevin finds swastikas less offensive, and therefore within the
realm of free speech, than feminism or egalitarianism, which do not seem
to meet Kevin's criteria.

>>The Well got its hardware from tax exempt entities called NETI and Point
>>Foundation.
>
>The Well got its hardware and software from NETI, a for-profit corporation.
>They did this as an investment, as you may have expected.

And what is NETI'S connection with SEVA?  Is the Point Foundation, which
was said to own half the Well, also a for-profit?  NETI, according to
some financial statements in the Whole Earth Review, was pouring $30K-$90K
per quarter into the Well, which was getting at least $10K/month in user
fees and never showed a profit.  Is NETI now prepared to write all that off?
I heard that nobody working for at their Sausalito offices (Well, Whole
Earth Review, Point Foundation) makes more than about $700/month.  There
don't seem to be any fees that weren't passed on to the customers.  Would
a management person with all three entities get three $700 salaries per month?

>>[...] and probably got a free newsfeed.
>
>There are very few sites in the USA that have to pay their neighbour to give
>them a newsfeed, if any.  [This is, of course, not counting phone bills]

Are you saying that the Well didn't pay anyone for their newsfeed?
I can understand supplying a feed to somebody who isn't going to profit
from it, and will help bear the expense, without asking anything in
return, but if I knew it were going to somebody who intended to resell it
at a profit, I might consider some consideration.

>--
>Andrew Scott Beals, {lll-crg,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!bandy +1 408 749 3683

From original header:

I haven't told any lies.  Some people have been telling lies about me,
that they claim to have learned on the Well in a private conference.
I am still trying to find a way to resolve this without legal action.
And what about People's Park?  I was in Afghanistan when the People's Park
riots occurred, not in Berkeley.  Is that supposed to be some kind of
smear, bandy?  Due to the large number of rapists, convicted murderers,
pimps, pornographers, and other exploitive sociopaths, I wouldn't set foot
in People's Park.  One of the former sysops (their term) was associated
with the Free Speech movement in Berkeley, and quit the Well about the
time they decided to abridge my freedom of speech on the Well, but I
don't think that person has hung out in People's Park since the 60's,
due to job and family obligations.  What was the reference about, bandy?

--Mark

mandel@well.UUCP (06/03/87)

M> <3788@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> <16959@amdcad.AMD.COM> <3842@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>

Mark Ethan Smith's remarks about the Well are so distorted that they
hardly deserve any attention, much less a response here.

--Tom Mandel	mandel@well.UUCP

abd@well.UUCP (06/04/87)

In article <3788@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> era1987@violet.berkeley.edu () writes:
>In article <16895@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>>
>>So, Mark, could you supply more details on what happened at the Well,
>>why you think they turned off your account, and whether you think they
>>were justified? Keep in mind that the Well is not a Federally funded
>>operation in any sense of the word.
>
>I've reported what they told me.  If you want further details, why not
>ask some of the people from the Well who have been making personal attacks
>on me here, to supply the details here instead?  I'm interested to know
>why they would censor feminist or egalitarian views, but not censor porn,
>obscenity or swastikas.
>
>The Well got its hardware from tax exempt entities called NETI and Point
>Foundation.  It got its software free on a beta test and probably got a
>free newsfeed.  It resells the resources it got for free, and provides
>a service for Libertarians and those whose views agree with those of
>Well management.  They refused to sell their services to me because my
>views differed from theirs.
>
>--Mark

The event which immediately preceded Mark's final eviction from the Well
was her posting to the net soliciting assistance in legal action against
the Well and its parent organizations NETI and Point Foundation.

Nearly every statement made or implied by Mark above is false. It is
Mark's ability to generate such shotgun arguments, which only occasionaly
contain any seed of truth, yet are believable to many on first reading,
which has led to all this uproar.

If I simply describe what Mark did in the months during which she had
a free account on the Well (and special privileges as a host), many will
doubtlessly accuse me of flaming. I'll mention a few facts.

Mark's postings to the Well were rarely censored. Yet postings in her
conference, which she controlled (and therefore could censor) were
heavily censored (by her), to the extent that the conference became
unreadable. Bear in mind that, on the Well, any conference host can
request any other user not to post in his or her conference, and it has
never occurred to my knowledge that such a request has not been honored.

Mark apparently has a great deal of time to devote to telecom. As of the
last time that I had any information, her sole means of support was
either welfare (SSI) or disability. Many times in correspondence or
in her conference she explained that she could not work because all
employers would expect a woman to be sexually available or to wear tokens
of sexual inferiority or the like.

[Mark raises genuine issues, but does so in such a way as to utterly
obscure them.]

She had a credit card, probably a relic of the days when she was employed
as an electrician by the U.S. Navy. Apparently, she worked several years
for the Navy, with her coworkers believing that she was a man. When the
information was leaked that she was actually a woman, her position became
untenable. She was (according to my memory, based on her accounts)
terminated on the grounds that she was hostile and argumentative.

She sued the Navy, charging breach of confidentiality [her true sex had
been stated in her file] and sexual discrimination. Somehow the breach
of confidentiality part of the suit got set aside, and, when I met her,
she was facing a government motion for summary judgement on the sexual
discrimination issue.

Apparently, she had filed reams of accusations; the judge (a woman;
I don't know if that is relevant....) asked her to state her case
succinctly without arguments. At the suggestion of Donna Hall, her friend
and an attorney, I helped her to understand what the judge was requesting
and to prepare to file the papers. I do not know if they were ever filed.
She apparently gave up. The "victory" she has mentioned is that the
court referred to her using what she calls the inclusive pronon, and
so did the defense, apparently on the judge's instruction.

As some of us predicted months ago when Mark became active on the net,
she is again generating megabytes of controversy which mostly does not
go anywhere. What should be done about it?

Nothing. Nothing should be done to prevent Mark from accessing the net
through any site which wishes to provide her an account. Nor should
anything be done to prevent those who know her history from recounting
it. Nor should anything be done to protect us from Mark's verbal abuse
or to protect Mark from verbal abuse. We can take care of ourselves.

While the jury is still out, the best position to take is that the net
is not responsible for content, for monitoring content is impractical.
However, sites at which libelous material originates could under some
circumstances be liable should an offended party wish to pursue the
matter. But a party must suffer actual damage for a libel action to
stand and such damage would be very difficult to prove on either side....

Meanwhile, Mark will doubtless continue to attract sympathy from those
who think that she is espousing feminist causes. Mark once told me that
she would work for the Nazis if they would give her a job without
sexual harassment. She said that she never complained when she heard
the men she worked with expressing sexist opinions; it might have
rocked the boat. I suspect that she thinks all men, among themselves,
think like those Navy electricians.

By the way, I am using the feminine pronoun because it matches Mark's
stated sex. Since it is quite likely that the issue will be raised,
I use pronouns according to (1) known sex (2) stated sex (3) inferred
sex, in that order of priority. Where sex cannot be inferred, I use
gender-free or inclusive forms (like he/she). I believe that this
practice matches that of most feminists. (And, incidentally, of Mark,
when she is not guarding her words or attempting to insult someone by
using a counter-sex pronoun.)

In a subsequent message, Mark has replied to Andy Beale with more
charges and speculations which are, basically, ridiculous if one knows
the facts. But it would take much time to answer each point. I am,
incidentally, the only possible person she could be referring to as
the disruptive host. In discussions on the Well, when I referred to
the conference as evidence that I had not disrupted it, she took the
conference private so that it could not be read. As mentioned above,
she could have prevented my posting at any time by merely requesting
that I stop. However, her definition of my writing as disruptive was
ex post facto, so to speak. It happened when I dared to disagree;
she went back and censored *every* posting of mine on *every* subject,
no matter how noncontroversial....

Believe it or not, that's what happened. If I wanted to flame about it,
I could say a *lot* more....

bandy@amdcad.AMD.COM (Andy Beals) (06/04/87)

[Mark Smith, era1987@violet.berkeley.edu]
>I haven't told any lies.

Yes you have.  You said that there were swastikas on the Well.  There
are none.  When asked to back it up, you said that the Whole Earth
Review published them as a freedom-of-speech issue.  Since you knew all
along that the swastikas were in the Whole Earth Review magazine and not
on the Well, you have lied.

Proof:

[SMITH]
>But Kevin had published swastikas in the Whole Earth Review, and in an
>editorial, said that they did it to celebrate free speech--to show that
>they will even publish things that they might personally find offensive.

[SMITH]
>I'm interested to know why they [the Well] would censor feminist or
>egalitarian views, but not censor porn, obscenity or swastikas.

--------

[BEALS]
>Mark Smith was tossed off of the Well because of Mark's abuse of host
>account privs and for causing large amounts of disruption.

[SMITH]
>Whoa!  Nobody was tossed off for disruption.

No, Nobody will help the poor.  Nobody will stop the war.  Nobody cares
about anyone anymore.

You, Mark Smith, were tossed off for disruption, and let's not forget
threats of legal action on the usenet.

[SMITH]
>There was only one other feminist on the Well that I know of when I was
>tossed off.  There had been three others, all paying users, not all female,
>but all feminists, who left the Well due to the attacks on me.

Names, please.

I do know of at least two other users who left the Well because Mark
Smith was spreading hate directed towards them all over the conferences.
At least one of them came back when told that Mark Smith no longer had a
Well account.

--------

[SMITH]
>The Whole Earth Review had published articles opposing abortion and
>advocating sadomasochism,

The Well (Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link) is not the Whole Earth Review.
Cliff Figallo is not Kevin Kelly, either.  Please do not accuse the Well
of things that the Whole Earth Review does.

If you wish to complain to Kevin, you probably know his e-mail address.  If
you have forgotten, I will mail it to you upon request.

[SMITH]
>Yes, the Well and the Whole Earth Review are both edited by Kevin Kelly.

The Well is not edited by Kevin Kelly.  Kevin moderates some conferences
but there is no editing of items, aside from outright censoring, which
all are aware of when it happens.  Censoring is not something that is
done lightly, as you know, because people always wonder who censored
whom.  I have yet to see a host, aside from yourself, censor a user --
each instance of censoring I've seen has been self-censoring.

Cliff Figallo is the director of the Well.

The Whole Earth Review is not the Well.  If you want to take Kevin to
task for what the Whole Earth Review does, then write a letter to the
editor and complain about it.

Flaming to the usenet about the Well makes little sense when it is the
Whole Earth Review that is doing things that you do not approve of.
Also, flaming to the usenet is not likely to cause changes at the Well.

--
Andrew Scott Beals, {lll-crg,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!bandy +1 408 749 3683

dsp@ptsfa.UUCP (David St.Pierre) (06/04/87)

4 Jun 87 05:16:23 GMT

In article <3842@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> era1987@violet.berkeley.edu () writes:
>Are you saying that the Well didn't pay anyone for their newsfeed?

As well's main feed, I can say "Yes, that's what he's saying".

>I can understand supplying a feed to somebody who isn't going to profit
>from it, and will help bear the expense, without asking anything in
>return, but if I knew it were going to somebody who intended to resell it
>at a profit, I might consider some consideration.

Gee, if I did that, does *my* feed have the right to charge me?
Because I feed a consultant who may get a job tip, should I charge him?

Actually, I *have* profited from access to the net. I've gotten a lot
of nice software, made a few friends and shared a few experiences.
I think I'm profit a lot more if I didn't have to wade thru articles
like these.
--
David St. Pierre    415/823-6800  {ihnp4,lll-crg,ames,pyramid}!ptsfa!dsp
It's not his bag of tea.

benson@alcatraz.UUCP (06/05/87)

Given how off the wall Well-person's comments about mark are
(and I've gotten some of them in private mail. They are certainly
libelous.) I would say that the Well is at worst reaping what it
has sowed.

Benson I. Margulies                         Kendall Square Research Corp.
harvard!ksr!benson			    All comments the responsibility
ksr!benson@harvard.harvard.edu		    of the author, if anyone.

sof@well.UUCP (Donna Hall) (06/09/87)

M> <3788@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> <16959@amdcad.AMD.COM> <3842@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> <3
217@well.UUCP>

Dennis,
(and all other netfolk)
Sorry to enter this fray, but I couldn't be silent any longer. I won't go
into specifics as I would like to spare the rest of the world such at the
moment, but, emphatically, with respect to your most recent postings here
about Mark E. Smith,      B U L L S H I T!

And I do with you'd stop displaying to the world that you and Mark have
some 'bad blood' between you. You've been criticized on the Well for your
sadistic attacks on Mark (since the criticism was in private conferences, no,
I will not breach the privacy by posting here). There's no reason to make
this an arena for such amusements.

Frankly, although I respect abd's comments and opinions in many other
topic areas, I am ashamed of him and of sharing a site with him when this
topic comes up.  Netfolks, believe me, not all from the well are as rabid
as he has appeared. In fact, in other topics he isn't this rabid either.

At the risk of repeating myself, with respect to his articles on Mark Smith,
BULLSHIT.

"Any opinions originating here do just that. I am currently only my own
spokesperson." --donna

sof@well.UUCP (Donna Hall) (06/09/87)

M> <3788@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> <16937@amdcad.AMD.COM>

With respect to someone turning off an account because it is being used
by a feminist, that would be hard to believe if the feminist were
giving mainstream views in a mild manner, but where the feminist is
giving and living more revolutionary viewpoints all sorts of unexpected
things can happen.

Fact is, folks usually don't like change and will react against it. I think
we've seen ample evidence of that here, haven't we?
--donna

mofo@well.UUCP (06/10/87)

 <3258@well.UUCP>
Sender: Hank Roberts

I support Donna Hall's remarks.
To paraphrase Vonnegut: difficult neighbors are dancing lessons from God.
Mark's a neighbor of mine and I appreciate the lessons we learn; I've
learned, among other things, to ask after Mark's health and well-being
before letting strong words push my buttons.  If you value the news you
can get from out near the edge, you learn to tolerate the people whose
paths take them to extremes.  Mark scares the shit out of uptight people.
    Not to say Mark should or shouldn't be  on the net.  But in our
home town, Mark's far from the oddest person around.

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicarious Oyster) (06/10/87)

In article <3266@well.UUCP> mofo@well.UUCP (MOFO) writes:
>    Not to say Mark should or shouldn't be  on the net.  But in our
>home town, Mark's far from the oddest person around.

   Ever notice that most of the world's people don't live in your home town?
Ever wonder why? :-)

 - Joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)

abd@well.UUCP (06/10/87)

As I predicted, my posting recounting a factual history was interpreted as
a flame.... This discussion is relevant to those concerned with the net as a
whole because there are efforts being made to ban Mark from sites within
the net. The response of the net to abusive and voluminous posters
should be of concern to all, particularly if restrictions of access are
involved.

I posted some of Mark's history known to me because it places her behavior
in context, and because it has been my observation that Mark disappears from
arenas in which the truth is known about her. I will engage in no further
consequential argument.