[news.misc] Bogus loud warning messages

garry@batcomputer.UUCP (05/30/87)

From a recent version of Pnews:

> This program posts news to thousands of machines throughout the entire
> civilized world.  You message will cost the net hundreds if not thousands of
> dollars to send everywhere.  Please be sure you know what you are doing.

Does this mean that someone is spending millions if not tens of millions
of dollars per year to support 'soc.singles'?

(Is it unethical to program in false warning messages?)

garry wiegand   (garry@oak.cadif.cornell.edu - ARPA)
		(garry@crnlthry - BITNET)

spaf@gatech.edu (Gene Spafford) (06/01/87)

In article <1216@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> garry@oak.cadif.cornell.edu writes:
>From a recent version of Pnews:
>
>> This program posts news to thousands of machines throughout the entire
>> civilized world.  You message will cost the net hundreds if not thousands of
>> dollars to send everywhere.  Please be sure you know what you are doing.
>
>Does this mean that someone is spending millions if not tens of millions
>of dollars per year to support 'soc.singles'?

Yup.  Figure that only the 40 or so backbone sites have any cost
involved in transfer or storage of news.  Figure each soc.singles
article costs $.05 to store and forward.  Figure 5000 articles per year
(perhaps too conservative).  That means the backbone sites
(collectively) are paying $10000 per year for just that group.  Now
realize that the actual number of sites involved netwide with transfer
and storage costs is a lot closer to 10000 than 40, and that the per
article costs may actually be higher, on average.  Netwide, soc.singles
is possibly costing in the millions of dollars a year to support.

The nature of the net makes it difficult to get exact figures, but
by any reasonable estimates it makes sense to let people know it
costs real money *somewhere* to support all these bytes.
--
Gene Spafford
Software Engineering Research Center (SERC), Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (06/01/87)

As quoted from <1216@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> by garry@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Garry Wiegand):
+---------------
| From a recent version of Pnews: (deleted cost warning)
|
| Does this mean that someone is spending millions if not tens of millions
| of dollars per year to support 'soc.singles'?
+---------------

For a single site, not $M.  For ALL sites that pass soc.singles, quite likely.
And if the newsgroup gets lots of postings, we're talking even more.  Phone
service isn't cheap, and the `world' distribution causes messages to be passed
along even more expensive intercontinental links.

++Brando
--
Copyright (C) 1987 Brandon S. Allbery.  Redistribution permitted only if the
	redistributor permits further redistribution.

In article <1216@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> garry@oak.cadif.cornell.edu writes:
> From a recent version of Pnews:
>
> > This program posts news to thousands of machines throughout the entire
> > civilized world.  You message will cost the net hundreds if not thousands of
> > dollars to send everywhere.  Please be sure you know what you are doing.
>
> Does this mean that someone is spending millions if not tens of millions
> of dollars per year to support 'soc.singles'?
>
> (Is it unethical to program in false warning messages?)
>
> garry wiegand   (garry@oak.cadif.cornell.edu - ARPA)
> 		(garry@crnlthry - BITNET)

What makes you think that it's bogus?  Most sites that participate in usenet
spend thousands of dollars a year on telecommunications charges to receive and
redistribute news articles.  A thousand sites (conservative) at a thousand
(*very* conservative) dollars a year is a million dollars.  I would estimate
that the real total expenditure is 5-20 times this much.  Since the soc.xxx
groups are ~10% of the total volume, you can work out the details.

Talk it over with your news administrator.

biep@klipper.UUCP (06/02/87)

> This program posts news to thousands of machines throughout the entire
> civilized world.  You message will cost the net hundreds if not thousands of
> dollars to send everywhere.  Please be sure you know what you are doing.
>
> Does this mean that someone is spending millions if not tens of millions
> of dollars per year to support 'soc.singles'?
>
> (Is it unethical to program in false warning messages?)

That part is true, and therefore not unethical (without wanting to say that
all true facts can be ethically made public!).
The hard part is, that this message actually defines the civilized world
to be those parts of the world where usenet is received. As a joke, that
might be funny, but in this way it sounds both boasting (are we really so
civilized?) and insulting to the rest of the world. I am sure the author
hadn't meant it that way, but since I read it I have been waiting for
someone to say we shouldn't say such things. I am disappointed nobody did
(but perhaps they were all waiting like me :-))
--
						Biep.  (biep@cs.vu.nl via mcvax)
When a doctor doctors a doctor, does the doctoring doctor doctor the doc-

dhb@rayssd.UUCP (06/03/87)

In article <1953@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <1216@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> garry@oak.cadif.cornell.edu writes:
>> From a recent version of Pnews:
>> Does this mean that someone is spending millions if not tens of millions
>> of dollars per year to support 'soc.singles'?
>
>What makes you think that it's bogus?  Most sites that participate in usenet
>spend thousands of dollars a year on telecommunications charges to receive and
>redistribute news articles.  A thousand sites (conservative) at a thousand
>(*very* conservative) dollars a year is a million dollars.  I would estimate
>that the real total expenditure is 5-20 times this much.  Since the soc.xxx
>groups are ~10% of the total volume, you can work out the details.

I would certainly agree that this estimate is conservative.  I dont consider
my site to be very large, we only have one news connection that we have to
pay money for (we have other feeds but they use company internal phone links)
and I was recently told by management to cut the phone bills because they
had exceeded a thousand a month.  If we are spending a thousand dollars a
month I can imagine what other sites are spending.
--
	David H. Brierley
	Raytheon Submarine Signal Division

Phone:		(401)-847-8000 x4073
Internet:	dhb@rayssd.ray.com
Uucp:		{cbosgd, gatech, linus, mirror, necntc, uiucdcs} !rayssd!dhb

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (06/03/87)

In article <778@klipper.cs.vu.nl> biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) writes:
>The hard part is, that this message actually defines the civilized world
>to be those parts of the world where usenet is received. As a joke, that
>might be funny,

But it IS a joke.  I guess I made the mistake of thinking we speak a language
where jokes don't have to be declared.

>but in this way it sounds both boasting (are we really so civilized?)

Allowing free speech across your borders is not a bad measure of civilization,
as such things go.

Now, part of what's going on here is that the descriptive word "civilized" is
starting to mean "good" in the same way that the descriptive word "villain"
has come to mean "bad guy".  This is a nasty thing to happen to a word, but
it does, and there's not much you or I can do to prevent it.  When I say
"civilized", I don't mean "good", I mean "civilized".  You've got to have some
word to distinguish that portion of the world that thinks of itself as the
leader in social and economic development, whether it is or not.  I've not
run into a lot of people who misunderstand me when I say "civilized".  If
I do run into a lot of them, then the rational thing to do is to abandon the
use of the word in its old meaning and say "Sigh!" yet again.  But I won't
give up a word until it leads to widespread confusion.

Likewise, my brother is retarded.  That doesn't mean he's bad.  Some people
get upset when I say my brother is retarded.  But not enough of them for me
to substitute a less apt and more ponderous phrase for a perfectly meaningful
word.

>and insulting to the rest of the world.

But how can they be insulted if they haven't read it?  I call this a 2nd order
offense.  More later.

>I am sure the author hadn't meant it that way, but since I read it I have
>been waiting for someone to say we shouldn't say such things. I am
>disappointed nobody did (but perhaps they were all waiting like me :-))

Not everyone feels that they should be insulted in behalf of others.  I try
to make a careful distinction between 1st order and 2nd order offenses.  I have
to, or I'd never get anything done at my church, where I coordinate the music
program.  Typical conversation, slightly abridged and transmogrified:

Me:	You wanted to see me about something?
They:	Yes, I'm afraid that the purple tie with yellow polka-dots the pianist
	wore last Sunday may have offended some people.
Me:	Were you offended by it?
They:	Well, no, not really.  But I'm afraid someone might have been
	distracted from their worship by it.
Me:	Do you know of anyone in particular who was offended?
They:	Well, no, but shouldn't we be as careful as possible just in case it
	makes someone feel uncomfortable?
Me:	You think we should enforce cultural homogeneity in our congregation
	just to keep people as comfortable as possible?  Whatever happened
	to "preach the gospel to every creature"?

etc.

Are we so civilized?  I dunno.  I want you to know that I'm not offended,
and I suppose that's a mark of civilization.  I take your article as one
data point to fit the curve of my life to.  You think I should hogtie my
language?  You think I should breast beat myself for being a Have rather
than a Havenot?  Maybe I should.  But I've got other data points, and
a Higher Mathematician.

Peace,
Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall

biep@klipper.UUCP (06/05/87)

Long!

In article <778@klipper.cs.vu.nl> biep@cs.vu.nl (that's me) writes:
>The hard part is, that this message actually defines the civilized world
>to be those parts of the world where usenet is received. As a joke, that
>might be funny,

Larry:
>But it IS a joke.  I guess I made the mistake of thinking we speak a language
>where jokes don't have to be declared.

OK, sorry - I missed it.

=== Hereunder follow some miscellaneous comments on Larries posting ===

Larry:
>Allowing free speech across your borders is not a bad measure of civilization,
>as such things go. (...)  You've got to have some
>word to distinguish that portion of the world that thinks of itself as the
>leader in social and economic development, whether it is or not.

But what have technology and economic development to do with *civilisation*?
There may be a correlation, but I guess if there is from some point on it
will be a negative one. About a word: what about "western(ized)" ?

Me:
>and insulting to the rest of the world.

Larry:
>But how can they be insulted if they haven't read it?
>I call this a 2nd order offense.

"Insult" and "offense" are not the same thing. To offend someone depends on
the other, and indeed, that implies the other must have felt it that way.
To insult someone requires intent, and doesn't require the other to remark
it. Insulting someone may offend whoever hears/reads/etc. the insult (please
note that I only spoke about "...sounds insulting", not about any actual
insult). If I insult you, you are insulted by me. Whether you heard it or
not.

Larry:
>Are we so civilized?  I dunno.  I want you to know that I'm not offended,
>and I suppose that's a mark of civilization.

Thanks. I indeed think that shows civilisation.

Larry:
>I take your article as one
>data point to fit the curve of my life to.  You think I should hogtie my
>language?  You think I should breast beat myself for being a Have rather
>than a Havenot?  Maybe I should.  But I've got other data points, and
>a Higher Mathematician.

I don't know what "to hogtie" means, perhaps "to restrict", or "to clean up",
but about the other things: no, not for me, at least. Such things always are
to be decided in close contact with our common H. Mathian.

The only reason I reacted was that I got the impression most people seemed
to take for granted that our western culture was the only civilised one.
I think my English wasn't good enough to have seen the obviousness of the
joke.

Besides: If I offended you, you would never add all those bells and whistles
I asked for to rn. That alone would be more than enough reason not to do so :-)
--
						Biep.  (biep@cs.vu.nl via mcvax)
			My F-key has autorepeat

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (06/08/87)

In article <1216@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> garry@oak.cadif.cornell.edu writes:
> From a recent version of Pnews:
>
> > This program posts news to thousands of machines throughout the entire
> > civilized world.  You message will cost the net hundreds if not thousands of
> > dollars to send everywhere.  Please be sure you know what you are doing.
>
> Does this mean that someone is spending millions if not tens of millions
> of dollars per year to support 'soc.singles'?
>
> (Is it unethical to program in false warning messages?)
>
> garry wiegand   (garry@oak.cadif.cornell.edu - ARPA)
> 		(garry@crnlthry - BITNET)

Consider that the average USENET site, before the advent of PC Pursuit and
UUNET, paid over $12,000/year for the phone bill for recieving netnews..... if
I recall right, soc.singles is about 5% of total volume, so each site is
spending at least $600/year on soc.singles. Multiply by 10,000 sites. You then
have $6,000,000/year being spent on soc.singles! And that's not even counting
the CPU time, disk storage, etc. necessary, just the actual cost paid to Ma
Bell....

--
Eric Green   elg%usl.CSNET     CS student, University of SW Louisiana
{cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg      Apprentice Haquer, Bayou Telecommunications

tj@hemaneh.UUCP (06/15/87)

Newsgroups: news.software.b
Subject: ghost/floating articles