[news.misc] Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

mike@turing.UUCP (06/16/87)

In article <15765@gatech.gatech.edu> usenet@gatech.edu writes:
>[Most recent change: 31 May 1987 by spaf@gatech.edu & weemba@brahms.berkeley.edu]
>
> 1.  What does UNIX stand for?
>
>     It is not an acronym, but is a pun on "MULTICS".  MULTICS is a
>     large operating system that was being developed shortly before
>     UNIX was created.

I, for the first time, saw this post on news.announce.newusers.  Unfortunately,
it is false.  Gleaned from the MINIX manual and text (1) I quote

"...MULTICS (MULTIplexed Information and Computing Service)...."

And then, in reference to UNIX,

"...Brian Kernighan somewhat jokingly dubbed this system "UNICS" (UNiplexed
Information and Computing Service), but the spelling was later changed to
UNIX (2)."

So it appears that, though "UNIX" is a pun, it is also an acronym.  I DO hope
that the net.gods, in their infinite (cough, cough) wisdom :-) will see fit
to fix this slight oversight.

(1) Tanenbaum, Andrew S.  _Operating_Systems__Design_and_Implementation.

(2) UNIX is a trademark of AT&T.

					Michael I. Bushnell
					a/k/a Bach II
					mike@turing.UNM.EDU
---
Is it clean in other dimensions?
				-- Zippy the Pinhead

wunder@hpcea.UUCP (06/17/87)

Awww, c'mon.  Everyone know that MULTICS stands for "Many Unbelievably
Large Tables In Core Simultaneously".

wunder

spaf@gatech.UUCP (06/18/87)

Specifically, UNICS is an acronym, UNIX is a sort-of pun.
--
Gene Spafford
Software Engineering Research Center (SERC), Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.UUCP (Bruce G Barnett) (06/18/87)

In article <15929@gatech.gatech.edu> spaf@gatech.UUCP (Gene Spafford) writes:
>Specifically, UNICS is an acronym, UNIX is a sort-of pun.

In Sun's technical report on UNIX, they say

	The name "UNIX" is not an acronym but a play on the phrase
	"castrated MULTICS".
--
Bruce G. Barnett  (barnett@ge-crd.ARPA) (barnett@steinmetz.UUCP)
--

jack@swlabs.UUCP (Jack Bonn) (06/19/87)

In article <1180001@hpcea.HP.COM>, wunder@hpcea.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) writes:
> Awww, c'mon.  Everyone know that MULTICS stands for "Many Unbelievably
> Large Tables In Core Simultaneously".

I always thought it was "Many Useless Levels of Tables Interfering with the
Computer System".

--
Jack Bonn, <> Software Labs, Ltd, Box 451, Easton CT  06612
seismo!uunet!swlabs!jack

benson@alcatraz.ksr.com (Benson Margulies) (06/19/87)

First of all, the spelling is Multics, not MULTICS. Us alumni of the
system get nasty in a hurry when people make that mistake.

As as for large tables in core, the real Multics system that a few
lucky people still have in spite of Honeywell's having killed it
(after 15 years of trying) know that its a damned sight better at some
things, including making large amounts of memory available to user
programs, than Unix. How would you like a 2**36 bit segmented process
address space, with dynamic linking, a robust file system (no fchk on
every boot), and direct mapping of files into the address space?

I could go on, but I'm in the wrong newsgroup.
Benson I. Margulies                         Kendall Square Research Corp.
harvard!ksr!benson			    All comments the responsibility
ksr!benson@harvard.harvard.edu		    of the author, if anyone.