[news.misc] Two seldom asked but important questions

ege@cblpf.UUCP (06/18/87)

I am a fairly new net user/reader and have two questions.

	1) How does one set up the individual ID information
	   that appears as the author's location when posting
	   articles to the net?  Mine defaults to something
	   that is not correct or desirable.  I have seen people
	   put all sorts of unique stuff there.

	2) How does one interpret or figure out the author's
	   e-mail address??  I use uucp but don't understand
	   the syntax of these other network addresses.

I know that there are some friendly net-people out there who
will take a few moments to respond.  I thank you whole-heartedly!!!

**  Ernie Englehart, AT&T Network Systems  **  "Good things come   **
**  (ihnp4,cbosgd)!cblpf!ege               **   in small packages" **

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (06/19/87)

	1) How does one set up the individual ID information
	   that appears as the author's location when posting
	   articles to the net?  Mine defaults to something
	   that is not correct or desirable.  I have seen people
	   put all sorts of unique stuff there.

To override the default information just set the NAME environment variable
(normally gotten from /etc/passwd) to change the user's real name and the
ORGANIZATION environment variable (which is either compiled into inews or
loaded from the orginization file depending on the version of news you have)
to change the organization line.  Try reading the inews manual page.

	2) How does one interpret or figure out the author's
	   e-mail address??  I use uucp but don't understand
	   the syntax of these other network addresses.

Well in the best case your mail system can handle the 822 address
as specified in the from line.  Otherwise, you can take the part
before the @ sign and append that to a subset of what is in the
Path line.  The path line indicates the way the message got to
your machine, although you can probably edit it for a more efficient
return route.

-Ron

tgr@picuxa.UUCP (06/20/87)

In article <519@cblpf.ATT.COM>, ege@cblpf.ATT.COM (x5244) writes:
> I am a fairly new net user/reader and have two questions.
>
> 	1) How does one set up the individual ID information...
> 	2) How does one interpret or figure out the author's
> 	   e-mail address?? ...
>
> I know that there are some friendly net-people out there who
> will take a few moments to respond.  I thank you whole-heartedly!!!

Could you please post this info?  Our site is new to the net; as you
can see from the 'path' in the header to this, something's not right.

Also, does anybody have 'man' pages for:

	vnews
	readnews
	postnews

We have v2.11, but the only documentation I have is my screen print
of the 'help' screen.

		Thanx in advance!!

--
 Tom Gillespie   ( ..!whuts!picuxa!tgr)   | "We're holding Elvis Presley's
 AT&T/EDS Product Integration Center	  |  brain hostage on Planet