[news.misc] Moderation

era1987@violet.berkeley.edu (06/26/87)

In article <4009@sri-unix.ARPA> maslak@sri-unix.UUCP (Valerie Maslak) writes:
>How about a quick consensus-posting about moderation for this group?
>Not formal, just how do we feel about the idea? ALL NOTE: I would NOT
>support prohibiting men from posting. I would support limiting postings
>from men to those directly concerning the subject at hand and not
>containing ad hominem (ad feminem?) attacks or female bashing or
>gratuitous rambling.

You know I'm all for it, but in her continuous postings, Alan Curtis
has proven that it won't work.  She can post to moderated groups, and
if her only purpose is to attack a woman, disrupt soc.women, or malign
feminists, nobody can stop her.

The simple fact is that all usenet sites are either privately owned by
or under the de facto control of males, and except for sexualizing,
trivializing, or harassing women, they have no use for women at all.
They either don't notice, or don't care about the hostile, intimidating
atmosphere that keeps most women from participating.  While people are
quick to write to SA's if a woman responds with justifiable anger to a
personal attack, and most SA's are quick in such cases to remove the
offending woman's access, either nobody has complained to Alan's SA, or
her SA felt that since she was only attacking a woman, no problem existed
even though she posted an unauthorized article to a supposedly moderated
group.  Had the moderator of comp.risks, Peter Newman, taken his
responsibilities seriously, he'd have written to Alan's SA, requesting
that Alan's access be removed.  But as a male, Peter is well aware that
the site adminstrator will also be male, and will simply laugh off all
breaches of netiquette by males, while severely punishing women who
"might," but actually haven't committed any breach of netiquette.

There is nothing to be done.  We are in a patriarchy, and if soc.women
were moderated, Alan and her friends, with the permission and consent
of her SA, would continue to post whatever she wished directly to the
moderated group without authorization and without penalty.  I wish it
were otherwise.  I wish women musicians could participate in music groups
without receiving obscene death  threats, and women doctors could post to
sci.med without receiving obscene death threats, and women of all walks
of life could post to soc.women without being subjected to personal attacks,
but in a patriarchy, that's not how things are.

There MIGHT be some possibility of attacking the problem from the area
of the use of federal funds and common carriers to perpetuate discrimination,
but with the Reagan Administration still in power, and males in control
of the courts and regulatory agencies, there's not really much hope there
either.

I'd like to see Pat Schroeder run for President in '88.  I'm sure that
if Representative Schroeder was elected, we'd have more women appointed
to policy positions, and we could begin to hope for the right to
participate in "public" forums on an equal basis.  We happen to be
half the "public" and the majority of computer users in industry,
although you sure wouldn't know it from usenet.

The boys are running the show, and as Randy Seuss said in another posting,
"That's the biz, sweetheart."

--Mark

wvbris@BRAHMS.BERKELEY.EDU (Wilhelmina von Bris) (06/26/87)

In article <4117@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, era1987@violet writes:
>				 But as a male, Peter is well aware [...]

I strongly object to this unwarranted invasion of Peter's genital privacy.

ucbvax!brahms!wvbris	Wilhelmina von Bris/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (06/27/87)

In article <4117@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> era1987@violet.berkeley.edu () writes:

>The boys are running the show, and as Randy Seuss said in another posting,
 That's                                      Suess

>"That's the biz, sweetheart."
	Remo Williams, Shiva, the Destroyer..

--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (06/27/87)

In article <4117@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, era1987@violet.berkeley.edu writes:

> The simple fact is that all usenet sites are either privately owned by
> or under the de facto control of males, and except for sexualizing,
> trivializing, or harassing women, they have no use for women at all.

Site "pcrat" is owned by PC Research, Inc. whose shareholders
consist of 1 male and 1 female.  All votes must therefore be
unanimous, and neither sex has control.  QED, the first part
of your statement is false.

Now, the female shareholder is also an employee of PC Research, Inc.,
and she creates income for PC Research, Inc.  Therefore, PC Research, Inc.
does have a use for women other than those you listed.  QED, the
second part of your statement is false.
--
	Rick Richardson, President, PC Research, Inc.
(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR   (201) 834-1378 (voice, days)

era1987@violet.berkeley.edu (06/27/87)

So you have two shareholders, one male and one female.  Your site is not
privately owned by a male.  That does not yet make my statement false.
Who are the actual site administrators?  Who, in the past, has made
decisions as to who is permitted or denied access to the net at your site?
What percentage of postings at your site have been from males?  From females?
Would you consider this last statistic due to chance?  If your site is
under the de facto control of a male or males, my statement is still true.

--Mark

flak@slovax.UUCP (06/28/87)

I am using this article as an example only. I don't intend this to be
a flame against a specific poster. The attitude is prevailent in many
other postings.

> The simple fact is that all usenet sites are either privately owned by
                          ^^^
> or under the de facto control of males, and except for sexualizing,
> trivializing, or harassing women, they have no use for women at all.
> They either don't notice, or don't care about the hostile, intimidating
> atmosphere that keeps most women from participating.  ...

> group.  Had the moderator of comp.risks, Peter Newman, taken his
> responsibilities seriously, he'd have written to Alan's SA, requesting
> that Alan's access be removed.  But as a male, Peter is well aware that
> the site adminstrator will also be male, and will simply laugh off all
> breaches of netiquette by males, while severely punishing women who
> "might," but actually haven't committed any breach of netiquette.
>
> There is nothing to be done.  We are in a patriarchy, and if soc.women
> were moderated, Alan and her friends, with the permission and consent
> of her SA, would continue to post whatever she wished directly to the
> moderated group without authorization and without penalty. ...
>
> There MIGHT be some possibility of attacking the problem from the area
> of the use of federal funds and common carriers to perpetuate discrimination,
> but with the Reagan Administration still in power, and males in control
> of the courts and regulatory agencies, there's not really much hope there
> either.
>
> The boys are running the show, and as Randy Seuss said in another posting,
> "That's the biz, sweetheart."

Seems to be a rather pessimistic and defeatist outlook.

Several points:

(1)  The perception is that men are the root of *all* problems. That
is, if there's a problem, the first place some people go to is their
favorite scapegoat. As Jean P. Satre wrote in his book, "Jew and
Anti-semite", "If the Jew didn't exist, the anti-semite would invent
him". For a particular problem, in a particular situation, a man, or
all men may be responsible. But then again, there may be some other
cause. (The most likely cause is the person her/him self - but how many
people are willing to admit that *they* may be the source of their own
problems?) If you are convinced of your answer before checking the
facts, you will find what you are looking for. One could say that all
women (Jews, Blacks, <fill in your favorite stereotype>) are
intellectually (physically, racially) inferior to <fill in whatever
group you identify with>. And one could find the "facts" to back it
up.

(2)  This particular posting doesn't even cite specific "facts". It
posts a general perception. There's nothing wrong with that. The net
exists, in part to air opinions. However, that's exactly what I consider
it - opinion, and not necessarily fact. (Nazis had the opinion that
Jews were the root of all evil - they did a pretty good job "selling"
it, too! :-( )

(3)  Make a postive recommendation. For the most part, we're all
aware of the problem. As was said in "Fiddler on the Roof", "Send
us the cure, the disease we've already got".

(4)  Before shooting off your flame thrower, make sure you have the
correct target. Who knows what a particular SA will do? I don't know
for a fact that most system administrators are male. I suspect that
they are. I won't even suspect that most of them will discriminate
against users solely on the basis of sex. That would take an extreme
jump in the logical process, and make some very tenuous assumptions.
(I am not a system administrator - I don't like to see them
discriminated against either :-).

(5)  There are, and will always be some system administrators who will
abuse their postion. (This is human nature, and not limited by
gender).  If the day came where almost all of the system administrators
were female, the problem would still persist. On whom, then, will our
poster place the blame?

But then again, this is just my opinion.

P.S. I've leaned heavily on examples of anti-semitism. I am not Jewish,
therefore, it doesn't affect me "personally". (Which doesn't mean that
I don't take offense to discrimination against a group simply because
I'm not a member).
--
{psivax,ism780}!logico!slovax!flak  :  {hplsla,uw-beaver}!tikal!slovax!flak
Dan Flak-R & D Associates,3625 Perkins Lane SW,Tacoma,Wa 98499,206-581-1322

ghoti+@andrew.cmu.edu (Adam Stoller) (06/28/87)

*sigh* not again......

stephena@microsoft.UUCP (Stephen Arrants 3/1011) (06/28/87)

In article <4117@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, era1987@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
> [.....]  I wish women musicians could participate in music groups
> without receiving obscene death  threats, and women doctors could post to
> sci.med without receiving obscene death threats, and women of all walks
> of life could post to soc.women without being subjected to personal attacks,
> but in a patriarchy, that's not how things are.
>
> --Mark

Can you point out the specific articles in sci.med where women doctors have
received obscene death threats?  I've gone back through quite a lot of them
and can't find a single one.  Please point out the specific message ID.  If
you don't have that handy, a rough date will suffice.

--
Steve Arrants				...!uw-beaver!microsoft!stephena
UserEd/APPS				Microsoft Corp.

ccjoan@ucdavis.UUCP (ccjoan) (06/29/87)

Please remove these discussions regarding Mark Ethan Smith and
all associated brouhaha from news.misc.  It is inappropriate for
this group, irritating to many readers of this group and
expensive to transmit.  Those individuals who are interested in
the subject can read soc.women.

Joan Gargano

billw@ncoast.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (06/29/87)

My sincerest apologies for posting this in news.groups. I felt I had to
respond to Mark's ridiculous article, though, so here it is. Follow-ups are
directed to soc.women, which I never read, so I doubt if I will ever
be saying another word on the subject.

[It's a long article; but my, it's fun bashing on this pompous, deluded twit.]

In article <4117@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> era1987@violet.berkeley.edu writes:

>>How about a quick consensus-posting about moderation for this group?
>>Not formal, just how do we feel about the idea? ALL NOTE: I would NOT
>>support prohibiting men from posting. I would support limiting postings
>>from men to those directly concerning the subject at hand and not
>>containing ad hominem (ad feminem?) attacks or female bashing or
>>gratuitous rambling.

>You know I'm all for it, but in her continuous postings, Alan Curtis
>has proven that it won't work.  She can post to moderated groups, and
>if her only purpose is to attack a woman, disrupt soc.women, or malign
>feminists, nobody can stop her.

And the same thing happened recently in comp.sources.misc. An inflammatory
faction has decided to take matters into its own hands and post "self-
moderated" articles with a phoney Approved: line. Nobody ever claimed that
moderation is one hundred percent, but if you dispute that it cuts down on
garbage postings, pull your head out of the sand.

>The simple fact is that all usenet sites are either privately owned by
>or under the de facto control of males, and except for sexualizing,
>trivializing, or harassing women, they have no use for women at all.
>They either don't notice, or don't care about the hostile, intimidating
>atmosphere that keeps most women from participating.  While people are
>quick to write to SA's if a woman responds with justifiable anger to a
>personal attack, and most SA's are quick in such cases to remove the
>offending woman's access, either nobody has complained to Alan's SA, or
>her SA felt that since she was only attacking a woman, no problem existed
>even though she posted an unauthorized article to a supposedly moderated
>group.  Had the moderator of comp.risks, Peter Newman, taken his
>responsibilities seriously, he'd have written to Alan's SA, requesting
>that Alan's access be removed.  But as a male, Peter is well aware that
>the site adminstrator will also be male, and will simply laugh off all
>breaches of netiquette by males, while severely punishing women who
>"might," but actually haven't committed any breach of netiquette.

What is life like, living in constant paranoia of the male sex? And where
do you get your "facts"? Every usenet site I have ever been on has had
a very understanding administrator (and one of them was a female!) who made
every attempt to make women feel just as welcome as men. If the woman decides
she doesn't like the system or its users, that's up to her. There's not a whole
lot the SA can do about it, correct? (Oh, of course there is. He could ban all
males from the system. He could even ban himself and hand the root account over
to the first female to come along.)

Perhaps Alan's SA felt that everybody, regardless of what they say, has an
equal right to say it. This is known, by the way, as the First Amendment.
The only infraction committed was forging an Approved: line in an article
header. For all we know, maybe her SA did reprimand her via mail. How are
we to know? She has just as much of a right to attack a woman as you have to
to post your blind flames against all men.

You suggest Peter Newmann doesn't take his responsibilities seriously. You
seem to assume that he did not write to Alan's SA (or Alan) about the article.
Then, you go on to implicate that Peter is involved in some kind of fantastic
male conspiracy. What kind of a fantasy world are you living in? Again, you
jump to many conclusions. And, even if Peter did NOT make any response, who
are you to interpret his motives?

>There is nothing to be done.  We are in a patriarchy, and if soc.women
>were moderated, Alan and her friends, with the permission and consent
>of her SA, would continue to post whatever she wished directly to the
>moderated group without authorization and without penalty.  I wish it
>were otherwise.  I wish women musicians could participate in music groups
>without receiving obscene death  threats, and women doctors could post to
>sci.med without receiving obscene death threats, and women of all walks
>of life could post to soc.women without being subjected to personal attacks,
>but in a patriarchy, that's not how things are.

Oh, so now all men have repressed psychotic urges, and wish to send women
musicians obscene death threats? Only a few actually overcome their inhibitions
and do so? Refer to my previous comments about fantasy worlds.

No matter what you post to on usenet, you better expect flames ("personal
attacks") from people who may not agree with your opinions. Unless you
stick completely to facts in your postings, don't expect sympathy after
people send you personal flames in the mail.

I'm not well versed on sci.med. Please, give me an example of a woman doctor
posting an article and receiving a death threat. I will, in turn, give you
an example of a usenet user with serious psychological problems. I'm sure
they're out there -- and I am sure there are some females that fit, as well.
All of this assuming, of course, that the supposed death threat was not meant
in jest.

[By the way, I will not be posting inflammatory articles to news.misc regarding
anybody who might flame me as a result of this article.]

>There MIGHT be some possibility of attacking the problem from the area
>of the use of federal funds and common carriers to perpetuate discrimination,
>but with the Reagan Administration still in power, and males in control
>of the courts and regulatory agencies, there's not really much hope there
>either.

Ronald Reagan, his cabinet, and the Supreme Court are obviously part of the
aforementioned male conspiracy. And I am very democrat -- I'm NOT defending
Raygun's politics.

>I'd like to see Pat Schroeder run for President in '88.  I'm sure that
>if Representative Schroeder was elected, we'd have more women appointed
>to policy positions, and we could begin to hope for the right to
>participate in "public" forums on an equal basis.  We happen to be
>half the "public" and the majority of computer users in industry,
>although you sure wouldn't know it from usenet.

I don't know a thing about Pat Schroeder. If she is a reasonable candidate,
then I'm all for it. But if she has attitudes similar to yours, then the day
she becomes president is the day I pack my bags and get an account on a usenet
site down under. A president like that may even try to make the US like the
world detailed in Margaret Atwood's THE HANDMAIDEN'S (handmaid's?) TALE, but in
reverse. I think this here country would lose population quite quickly.

>The boys are running the show, and as Randy Seuss said in another posting,
>"That's the biz, sweetheart."

This is what I get for twenty-five minutes of banging around in vi? Fooey.
Well, that's my one point five million dollars worth. Now I think I'll go
play with my news.misc kill file...
--
Bill Wisner
..{cbosgd,decvax}!cwruecmp!ncoast!billw

mike@turing.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (06/29/87)

AAAUUUUGGGHHH!!
Mark does it again.  Golly, if the SA of a system is male, then the
system is being run with an anti-women bias.  Of course, if the SA
were female, everything would be fair....right.  I really don't think
it enters in to most people's minds.  Sorry.  I just don't think
conspiracy theories hold much water.

					Michael I. Bushnell
					a/k/a Bach II
					mike@turing.UNM.EDU
---
I always have fun because I'm out of my mind!!!
				-- Zippy the Pinhead

nancym@pyrtech.UUCP (Nancy McClelland) (06/29/87)

In article <601@ucdavis.UUCP> ccjoan@ucdavis.UUCP (ccjoan) writes:
>Please remove these discussions regarding Mark Ethan Smith and
>all associated brouhaha from news.misc.  It is inappropriate for
>this group, irritating to many readers of this group and
>expensive to transmit.  Those individuals who are interested in
>the subject can read soc.women.
>
>Joan Gargano

I agree wholeheartedly!  Please do something so that the rest of us don't have
to continually get stuck reading this stuff.  If it was up to me, I give her
her own newsgroup.  Then I could just unsubscribe.

nancym

frank@wacsvax.OZ (Frank O'Connor) (07/02/87)

In article <4135@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> era@killer.UUCP writes:

> !$@&%#%@((#^#% ...
>
>--Mark

I have held my breath long enough! If this waste of time and resources must
continue, then please restrict this discussion to the usa where it belongs
if anywhere, or at least put it back in soc.women which we don't receive.

There are many other articles which should also have their distribution
restricted. Is it possible to educate these people? Think about the
distribution before you let fly. It costs real money to send this junk
to Australia, and I guess Europe also cops a lot of it.

gdelong@cvbnet.UUCP (Gary Delong) (07/02/87)

In article <1031@pyrtech.UUCP>, nancym@pyrtech.UUCP (Nancy McClelland) writes:
> In article <601@ucdavis.UUCP> ccjoan@ucdavis.UUCP (ccjoan) writes:
> >Please remove these discussions regarding Mark Ethan Smith and
> >all associated brouhaha from news.misc.  It is inappropriate for
> >this group, irritating to many readers of this group and
> >expensive to transmit.  Those individuals who are interested in
> >the subject can read soc.women.
> >
> >Joan Gargano
>
> I agree wholeheartedly!  Please do something so that the rest of us don't have
> to continually get stuck reading this stuff.  If it was up to me, I give her
> her own newsgroup.  Then I could just unsubscribe.
>
> nancym

The motion has been made and seconded;
Call the question....

Please... I've now 17 lines in my kill file for news.misc just for good ole
Mark,  I cann't bring myself to search for either/or Mark/Smith in an article
in my kill file as there is a Mark Smith out there who posts articles of
interest.  Help.... Please....   Give us a break.

I will stipulate that Mark E. Smith is correct in every point if only it will
keep this out of news.misc.

Thank you for you consideration.

--
   _____
  /  \    /   All spelling errors        |       Gary A. Delong, N1BIP
  \____\/     rn spellcorrector v1.02A.  |       (617) 275-1800 x5232

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (07/07/87)

> From: gdelong@cvbnet.UUCP (Gary Delong)
>
> Please... I've now 17 lines in my kill file for news.misc just for good ole
> Mark,  I cann't bring myself to search for either/or Mark/Smith in an article
> in my kill file as there is a Mark Smith out there who posts articles of
> interest.  Help.... Please....   Give us a break.

Thank you.
Smitty
--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
61 Tenafly Road            that you do not miss what is right under your nose."