[news.misc] The double standard.

era1987@violet.berkeley.edu (06/26/87)

Recently a male posted a personal attack on me directly, without
authorization, to a moderated group where such an attack is totally
irrelevant and inappropriate.  He did this because, having a penis and
living in patriarchy, he knew that he would suffer no repercussions.

Compare this with my experience with two sites, the Well and chinet,
who removed my password because I RESPONDED to personal attacks on me,
and a third site, gryphon, where the SA, Greg Laskin, had a violent
mood swing and removed my access to an unmoderated group, soc.women, due
to his "feeling" that I "might" respond with justifiable anger to some
of the personal attacks on me.

I have received several sympathetic responses from males overseas, and even got
two from here within the United States, where the average technical
person is a sexist male who reads at a 6th grade level.  (Of course I
received a large amount of support from feminist women and our one feminist
male, but as a group we are totally powerless to effect changes in a
patriarchy, and marked as pariahs simply for supporting women's rights.)

--Mark

nancym@pyrtech.UUCP (Nancy McClelland) (06/29/87)

In article <4122@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> era1987@violet.berkeley.edu () writes:

>Recently a male posted a personal attack on me directly, without
>authorization, to a moderated group where such an attack is totally

Just to start things off on a light note, since when has anyone, anywher,
ever made an attack on someone *with* authorization?

>irrelevant and inappropriate.  He did this because, having a penis and
>living in patriarchy, he knew that he would suffer no repercussions.

Don't be silly.  I'm about to make an attack on you, and I don't have such
equipment.  And personally, I object to your graphic and, in my opinion,
vulgar language.

>male, but as a group we are totally powerless to effect changes in a
>patriarchy, and marked as pariahs simply for supporting women's rights.)
>
>--Mark

No, you are powerless to effect change because you alienate large numbers
of people every time you speak.  (I suppose I should say "every time you
post" as I have never heard you speak in person.)  In order to effect
change, you must win the support of people who are in power.  I'm not
sure that you, as an individual, will ever be able to win that kind of
support.  I always have considered myself a feminist.  If questioned
deaply, I don't think very highly of men *in general*, although I know
some fine human beings who happen to be male.  From the postings of yours
I've read (before I started my kill file) the only impression i receive
is one of intense anger, coupled with rabid fear.  What are you afraid of?
I grew up in this country (in Chicago, to be exact). Iwent to school during
the '60's, have lived in the Bay area for 17 years, and have been in the
electrnics industry for 10 years.  I have not once seriously considered
myself discriminated against for being female. The one time I gave it
any thought at all, I realized that the idiot who bad mouthed me also made
caustic, obnoxious remarks about Catholics, Jews, Blacks, Latinos, senior
citizens, and anyone else who came under his attention.  This does not
necessarily make him a chauvinist - it makes him a jerk.  I've been reading
and posting to the net for about 6 months now, and I have not been ignored;
I have had many responses to my postings and my followups.  I have not been
censored; I have not been attacked (at least, not much - and everyone seems
to get attacked, or "flamed" at least once in awhile).

I know this has gotten rather long winded, but I felt i had to say something
to this women before I enlarge my kill file.  Everytime I think I've got
her out of my reading, she pops up in another category.  There was a short
program posted last week that I'm going to try that should keep everything
ever written by, in response to, or about Mark Ethan Smith off my terminal!

Nancy McClelland

ccjoan@ucdavis.UUCP (ccjoan) (07/01/87)

> No, you are powerless to effect change because you alienate large numbers
> of people every time you speak.  (I suppose I should say "every time you
> post" as I have never heard you speak in person.)  In order to effect
> change, you must win the support of people who are in power.  I'm not
> sure that you, as an individual, will ever be able to win that kind of
> support.
>
> From the postings of yours
> I've read (before I started my kill file) the only impression i receive
> is one of intense anger, coupled with rabid fear.

I AGREE!!!

> Everytime I think I've got
> her out of my reading, she pops up in another category.

MUCH TO MY DISMAY.

> There was a short
> program posted last week that I'm going to try that should keep everything
> ever written by, in response to, or about Mark Ethan Smith off my terminal!

Where can I get a copy.

Joan

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (07/02/87)

> > There was a short
> > program posted last week that I'm going to try that should keep everything
> > ever written by, in response to, or about Mark Ethan Smith off my terminal!
>
> Where can I get a copy.

Save your breath!

The last few weeks have shown that shouting, name calling, and
stupidity have not managed to move the discussion out of news.misc.
Therefore, I tried a NEW novel way to solve this: I sent mail to Mark
asking that someone (Mark) set an example by removing news.misc from
the newsgroups line. Well, a little rational discussion later, Mark
has decided that perhaps this might not be such a bad idea. Therefore,
don't look for postings from Mark in news.misc in the future. Now, if
everyone else were to follow this example, the net might once again
become a *fun* place to be.

--lyndon

lb@ptsfa.UUCP (Larry Biedenweg) (07/02/87)

In article <606@ucdavis.UUCP> ccjoan@ucdavis.UUCP (ccjoan) writes:
>> There was a short
>> program posted last week that I'm going to try that should keep everything
>> ever written by, in response to, or about Mark Ethan Smith off my terminal!
>
>Where can I get a copy.
>
>Joan

PLEASE POST IT TO THE NET WITH WORLD DISTRIBUTION.  I know this guy in
Australia that is looking for a copy.

-Larry-

-Larry G. Biedenweg-			  	|    ** reserved for **
{ihnp4,lll-crg,ames,quantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!lb 	|    *** future use ***
Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed do not reflect those of Pacific Bell,
	     Pacific Telesis, or anyone with an ounce of good sense.

mccarthy@uiucuxe.cso.uiuc.edu (07/06/87)

>Written 11:29 am  Jun 26, 1987 by era1987@violet.berkeley.edu

Oh goody, here she comes again.  Start the popcorn machine up, it's gonna
be a bumpy night.
_____
The Mental Midget
  {ihnp4, seismo, cmcl2, pur-ee} !uiucdcs!uiucuxe!mccarthy
  mccarthy%uiucuxe@a.cs.uiuc.edu
"And this is artificial moonlight... and artificial sky"

billp@unimuc.UUCP (Bill Potter) (07/07/87)

I think we need a copy of that magic program in Europe as well.

In the meantime how about moving the discussion to bs.talk.misc

bill potter

mit freundlichen Gruessen

unisoft gmbh
arabellastr. 30
D-8000 Muenchen 81 (Munich to you non-German speakers)
Bundesrepublik Deutschland (West Germany, see above)
Int.-49-(0)89-9269080

billp@unimuc.UUCP (Bill Potter) (07/07/87)

Sorry, I meant, of course, ba.talk.misc :-) .