[news.misc] Policy question re: mail only sites

pml@casetek.casetek.UUCP (Pat Lashley) (07/11/87)

I have a policy question which does not seem to be covered by any of
news/usenet documentation which I have seen.  I hope that the answer
is not too obvious to need to be written down :-)

We are a mail link for another company which does not have (or want)
any news feed.  Should a site description be posted for them?

Thanks,
-Pat
--
Internet:	casetek!patl@sun.com		PM Lashley
uucp:		...sun!casetek!patl		CASE Technology, Inc.

kevin@iisat.UUCP (Kevin Davies) (07/15/87)

In article <121@casetek.casetek.UUCP>, pml@casetek.casetek.UUCP (Pat Lashley) writes:

> We are a mail link for another company which does not have (or want)
> any news feed.  Should a site description be posted for them?
>
> Thanks,
> -Pat
> uucp:		...sun!casetek!patl		CASE Technology, Inc.

I've seen many map entries for sites who are mail only (and others
who will only allow mail links).  There is one locally which is
connected for mail only, no news.  They I look at it, if a site
is connected to USENET (for news OR mail), and it's not top
secret or anything (like site kremlin :-) then it should have
a map entry. That way, people can contact you or others at your
site, if they know their login names.

--
Kevin Davies		International Information Service (IIS)
UUCP:  {seismo|utai|watmath|garfield} !dalcs!iisat!kevin

chute@chutepc.UUCP (Chris Chute MD) (07/26/87)

I run a UNIXpc micro, read and forward news, and exchange mail now and then.
I am in the UUCP map but via an awkward path.  I don't know how this particular
UUCP map entry was generated, but am grateful that it is there despite the
circuitous path.  Questions:

 1) Should micros such as mine have a Usenet (or whatever) map entry?
 2) Should other minis and micros in my department declare themselves too?
 3) Where is the documentation on how to generate a map entry?

Cheers,
Chris Chute M.D.			UUCP: ...!harvard!hscfvax!chute OR
Harvard School of Public Health		UUCP: ...!ethos!chutepc!chute
Department of Epidemiology		Voice:   (617)732-1480
677 Huntington Ave			Data:    (617)732-1843
Boston, MA 02115