[news.misc] net.censorship, academic freedom, ...

randy@oresoft.UUCP (Randy Bush) (09/06/87)

wheatena!gsmith (Gene Ward Smith) writes:
>                                                           At first he
>          threatened the department here with legal action. The result
>          is that Matthew Wiener was kicked off our machines, and hence
>          his work on his thesis has been delayed.

Censorship on the net (which is a crock) pales in comparison to a university
allowing a sociopathic threat resulting from a bunch of stupid net.flaming to
affect an academic career.  Either there is more here than meets the pixels,
or someone's forgotten something about academic freedom.  You are at UCB,
aren't you, GWS?  Is this 1950?  We have to expect net.fights to spill over
into 'real' life, but does the university have to take it seriously?
--
Randy Bush, Compiler Group, Oregon Software, Portland Oregon (503) 245-2202
uucp: ..!tektronix!oresoft!randy       Telemail: RBush     Fidonet: 1:105/6

gsmith@BOSCO.BERKELEY.EDU (09/07/87)

In article <64@oresoft.UUCP> randy@oresoft.UUCP (Randy Bush) writes:

>Either there is more here than meets the pixels,
>or someone's forgotten something about academic freedom.  You are at UCB,
>aren't you, GWS?  Is this 1950?  We have to expect net.fights to spill over
>into 'real' life, but does the university have to take it seriously?

  I've talked with the people here a bit and still can't see why
they take net-war stuff seriously. The feeling seems to be that
net-news is a pretty marginal use of departmental resources, and
that they just don't want to deal with all the Maroney types who
show up foaming at the mouth.  I agree that the attitudes here
seem to have reverted to a pre-FSM mentality. It wouldn't
surprise me a bit to see the whole thing happen again, and it
might be a Good Thing if it did.

  Tim Maroney himself was kicked off the computers at the
University of North Carolina. How he can then have the almighty
gall to censor Matthew and attempt to censor me, I couldn't say.
If he is indeed a communist like he claimed, maybe he figures if
it was good enough for Lenin to be a victim of censorship and
then a censor, it should be good enough for Timmmy.

"This paragraph is why I have felt free to insult you."  -- Tim Maroney
  ucbvax!bosco!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720