[news.misc] Public Access UN*X, Connecting to Usenet

wfp@dasys1.UUCP (William Phillips) (09/06/87)

Does anyone out there know of a public access UN*X system (with Usenet, of
course) in the Boston area?

Also, what is involved in getting, say, a corporate UN*X system hooked up
to Usenet?

Kindly reply by e-mail, as I don't subscribe to these newsgroups.  Thanks!
--
William Phillips                 {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!wfp

cas@mtuxo.UUCP (C.STEVENS) (09/08/87)

#
# Also, what is involved in getting, say, a corporate UN*X system hooked up
# to Usenet?
#
# Kindly reply by e-mail, as I don't subscribe to these newsgroups.  Thanks!

I'm curious myself, so could you post as well as mail your reply?

--
The handsome guy [in the wchair]!  (We *NEVER* say WC!)
	Cliff Stevens Jr.

lad@eplrx7.UUCP (Lawrence Dziegielewski) (09/09/87)

In article <695@mtuxo.UUCP>, cas@mtuxo.UUCP (C.STEVENS) writes:
> In article <1213@dasys1.UUCP>, wfp@dasys1.UUCP (William Phillips) writes:
> # Also, what is involved in getting, say, a corporate UN*X system hooked up
> # to Usenet?
> #

Getting your company on USENET is simply a matter of getting the news 2.11
software running on your system,  then finding someone willing to feed you
news and mail.

When I pur my system on the net,  it took me roughly 2 weekes to track down
someone generous enough to feed my machine.  At that time he was already
feeding several other machines,  and took me when his machine was already
full.

Now,  it's even easier due to the advent of UUNET.  UUNET is a 'news
subscription service' which you get access to thru Tymnet or an 800 number.
Getting on UUNET is easy,  it costs $30./month plus connect time.  Connect
time can be as little as $3./hour if you call off-peak times only.  UUNET is
run from a computer who's only mission in life is news and mail,  meaning it
is a highly reliable system.  We've been feeding thru UUNET for about a
month and so far I like the service.

You can get subscription info by writing:

		Peter H. Salus
		UUNET/USENIX
		P.O. Box 2299
		Berkley,  CA 94710
		+ 1 415 528 8649
		uunet!usenix!peter

Hope this helps.  If you need further info,  or need the news software,
feel free to call me at my office number below.

--
	Lawrence A. Dziegielewski	|	E.I. Dupont Co.
	{uunet!dgis!psuvax1}!eplrx7!lad	|	Engineering Physics Lab