[news.misc] reading hexadecimal out loud, etc

editor@chinet.UUCP (Alex Zell) (01/01/70)

>Ummm..I thought X-rays were discovered sometime in the 20's.
>					Michael I. Bushnell
>					{ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!turing!mike

Wilhelm Roentgen was awarded a Nobel prize in 1901 for his discovery
------
of x-rays in 1895.
--
Alex Zell                                     ihnp4!chinet!editor
I'd rather be on Pictou Island, N.S.

greg@utcsri.UUCP (10/04/87)

In article <1632@chinet.UUCP> editor@chinet.UUCP (Alex Zell) writes:
>Whenever I came to an entry such as "B000" or "F000" I would pronounce
>"boo" or "foo"  and would be corrected by son Pete: "No, you should
>always spell it out "ef-zero-zero-zero" or we may end up with errors."
>(You have no idea how rigid very young teenagers can be.  "What's right
>is right.")

You should always spell it out, fox-zero-zero-zero, or baker-zero-zero-zero,
if you don't want to end up with errors.

Ever wonder why we have such good names for the digits and such lousy ones
for the letters? B,C,D,E,G,P,T,V,Z in particular.

Several months ago I went to Ottawa for a series of interviews at a large
communications firm. Over the phone, the fellow from personnel read off a list
of times and persons, and spelled the more difficult names. He also gave me a
locator number to get my ticket at the airport. I confirmed the letters in the
locator number using 'M as in mary, F as in Frank', and he said, 'no, M as in
Mary, S as in Sarah'. When I got to the place, I gave the name of the first
interviewer at each location to the security guard, who would look it up in a
book. In almost every such case, the first interviewer had a difficult name
which had been spelled out, and in which I had written down 'f's instead
of 's's.

But that's life.
Greg Smith     University of Toronto      UUCP: ..utzoo!utcsri!greg
Have vAX, will hack...

tedk@ihuxv.ATT.COM (Kekatos) (10/07/87)

In article <5486@utcsri.UUCP> greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) writes:
>In article <1632@chinet.UUCP> editor@chinet.UUCP (Alex Zell) writes:
>>Whenever I came to an entry such as "B000" or "F000" I would pronounce
>>"boo" or "foo"  and would be corrected by son Pete: "No, you should
>>always spell it out "ef-zero-zero-zero" or we may end up with errors."
>>(You have no idea how rigid very young teenagers can be.  "What's right
>>is right.")
>
>You should always spell it out, fox-zero-zero-zero, or baker-zero-zero-zero,
>if you don't want to end up with errors.
>
>Greg Smith     University of Toronto      UUCP: ..utzoo!utcsri!greg

Hexadecimal is always read digit by digit. Trailing zeros are sometimes read
as "hundred" or "thousand" (such as "F000" equals "ef-thousand").
Having worked in Technical support for three years, I can tell you
many stories of computer error due to similar "reading" mis-understandings.

Remember:

0 = "zero"

O = "oh"

Ted G. Kekatos
ihnp4!ihuxv!tedk

jc@minya.UUCP (jc) (10/11/87)

> You should always spell it out, fox-zero-zero-zero, or baker-zero-zero-zero,
> if you don't want to end up with errors.

Hey, how about posting the entire alphabet in this form.  I mean, I
know about Able, Baker, Charlie, Dawg, Eagle, and Fox, which I guess
suffices for hex numbers, but it might be useful some day to know the
rest of them.  [Having dodged the draft successfully, I didn't get it
in the usual fashion. :-]

--
	John Chambers <{adelie,ima,maynard}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

lindsay@dscatl.UUCP (Lindsay Cleveland) (10/11/87)

John Chambers asks:
> Hey, how about posting the entire alphabet in this form.  I mean, I
> know about Able, Baker, Charlie, Dawg, Eagle, and Fox, which I guess
> suffices for hex numbers, but it might be useful some day to know the
> rest of them.  [Having dodged the draft successfully, I didn't get it
> in the usual fashion. :-]

With the advent of NATO and other pressures for the U.S. to think a
little more "internationally", the phonetic alphabet has changed
from the one used in World War II ("Able Company...How Company...").
Herewith is the list adopted by the International Telecommunication
Union; and for you nostalgia types, the older version as well.

    ITU      "Old"                ITU      "Old"
A - Alfa     Able             N - November November
B - Bravo    Baker            O - Oscar    Ocean
C - Charlie  Charlie          P - Papa     Papa
D - Delta    Dog              Q - Quebec   Queen
E - Echo     Easy             R - Romeo    Roger
F - Foxtrot  Fox              S - Sierra   Sugar
G - Golf     George           T - Tango    Tango
H - Hotel    How              U - Uniform  United
I - India    Ida              V - Victor   Victor
J - Juliet   Jig              W - Whiskey  Whiskey
K - Kilo     King             X - X-ray    X-ray
L - Lima     Lima             Y - Yankee   Yankee
M - Mike     Mike             Z - Zulu     Zebra

A couple of the "old" ones might be in error...I haven't used
them since 1951, and I couldn't find my 1941 Army Handbook (issued
to everyone as they came into Boot Camp.)

Cheers,
  Lindsay

Lindsay Cleveland         Digital Systems Co.   Atlanta, Ga
  gatech!dscatl!lindsay     (404) 497-1902
                         (U.S. Mail:  PO Box 1140, Duluth, GA  30136)

jp@linus.UUCP (Jeffrey Picciotto) (10/11/87)

In article <281@minya.UUCP> jc@minya.UUCP (jc) writes:
>> You should always spell it out, fox-zero-zero-zero, or baker-zero-zero-zero,
>> if you don't want to end up with errors.
>
>Hey, how about posting the entire alphabet in this form.

World War I *		World War II		Present **

Afirm			Able			Alfa
Baker			Baker			Bravo
Cast			Charlie			Charlie or Carlos
Dog			Dog			Delta
Easy			Easy			Echo
Fox			Fox			Foxtrot
George			George			Golf
Hypo			How			Hotel
Inter			Item			India
Jig			Jig			Juliett
King			King			Kilo
Love			Love			Lima
Mike			Mike			Mike or Metro
Negate			Nan			November
Option			Oboe			Oscar
Prep			Peter			Papa
Queen			Queen			Quebec
Roger			Roger			Romeo
Sail			Sugar			Sierra
Tare			Tare			Tango
Uncle			Uncle			Uniform
Victor			Victor			Victor
William			William			Whiskey
X-ray			X-ray			X-ray
Yoke			Yoke			Yankee
Zed			Zebra			Zulu

*   Still used by some radio amateurs and others, particularly old-timers.
**  For joint and intra-Air Force use.

--jeff
{*}!linus!jp
jpicc@mitre-bedford.arpa

max@eros.uucp (Max Hauser) (10/12/87)

In article <281@minya.UUCP> jc@minya.UUCP (jc) writes:
>Hey, how about posting the entire alphabet in this form.  I mean, I
>know about Able, Baker, Charlie, Dawg, Eagle, and Fox, which I guess
>suffices for hex numbers, but it might be useful some day to know the
>rest of them.  [Having dodged the draft successfully, I didn't get it
>in the usual fashion. :-]

And you're not going to get "them" this way, either, as a couple of
response postings have already illustrated. There are so many
"standard" phonetic alphabets. None, for example, posted so far,
includes the FCC-encouraged "Nectar" for N that I learned as a
commercial radio operator ("Juliet-Kilo-Lima-Nectar-Oscar-Poppa...").

I think one could make a respectable hobby collecting these lists...

Max W. Hauser, UC Berkeley EECS Department

In article <1943@ucbcad.berkeley.edu> max@eros.UUCP (Max Hauser) writes:

>None, for example, posted so far,
>includes the FCC-encouraged "Nectar" for N that I learned as a
>commercial radio operator ("Juliet-Kilo-Lima-Nectar-Oscar-Poppa...").

You will already have observed that I omitted M from the preceding
response; this was purely a test to unearth attentive readers.
The phonetic was Metro (also deviating from the ITU list).

M. Hauser, P1-12-20075

mike@turing.unm.edu.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (10/13/87)

In article <15070@linus.UUCP> jp@linus.UUCP (Jeffrey Picciotto) writes:
>World War I *		World War II		Present **
>
>X-ray			X-ray			X-ray

Ummm..I thought X-rays were discovered sometime in the 20's.

Of course, I could be wrong.

					Michael I. Bushnell
					a/k/a Bach II
					mike@turing.unm.edu