[news.misc] Proposal for a new newsgroup "talk.mesmith"

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (10/08/87)

Due to the large number of postings related to Mark Ethan Smith, I
hereby propose creation of a new newsgroup to be called
"talk.mesmith".  This will have the following beneficial effects:

1.   Discussion of Mark Ethan Smith will be found in a well-defined
place, allowing all interested to participate.

2.   Those not interested will be able to unsubscribe.

This is a SERIOUS proposal.  The Mark Ethan Smith discussion has been
going on for several months now and shows no signs of subsiding.
Articles in it are often cross-posted to various newsgroups
resulting in frequent metadiscussions.

Approximately 100 affirmative votes are needed.  Please send me your
vote by electronic mail before the expiration date of this article (31
Oct 1987).  In keeping with standard policy, opinions posted to the net
are ineligible to be counted as votes.

Besides the addresses at the end of this article, you can also try
the Internet form "dhesi%bsu-cs@uunet.uu.net".
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

trent@sri-unix.ARPA (Ray Trent) (10/08/87)

Yes, I know this doesn't count as a vote, but in my opinion, this idea
doesn't even deserve a vote. Proposing a newsgroup where MES and discussion
about MES can go (and "leave the rest of us alone") is a thinly disguised
attempt to censor MES's ideas. (not all of which I agree with :-)
If Mark wants to talk about issues relevant to equality for women on
this group, that is Mark's right. The fact that many people disagree with
Mark's ideas is, if anything, a good reason to *keep* Mark around.
--
This life is a test, this life is only a test. If this had been a real
life, you would have been given further instructions on where to go and

Luuk@cs.vu.nl (Luuk) (10/09/87)

	Who is going to write in this "News"-group? MEom= p

gadfly@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Gadfly) (10/09/87)

--
> Due to the large number of postings related to Mark Ethan Smith, I
> hereby propose creation of a new newsgroup to be called
> "talk.mesmith".  This will have the following beneficial effects:
>
> 1.   Discussion of Mark Ethan Smith will be found in a well-defined
> place, allowing all interested to participate...
>
> This is a SERIOUS proposal...
> --
> Rahul Dhesi

Cut the crap, Rahul.  If you don't want to read the stuff set up a kill
file.  Creating ghettos to house those you'd rather not have to look at
is imperious and bigoted.  And since you are an experienced netnik who
knows damn well how to make and use a kill file, it's gratuitous and cruel.
If we really need a subgroup, it's for pointy-headed technotwits who make
such self-serving, "SERIOUS" proposals.

                      *** ***
J'EN AI RAS-LE-BOL  ***** *****
                   ****** ******  09 Oct 87 [17 Vendemiaire An CXCVI]
ken perlow         *****   *****
(312)979-8042       ** ** ** **
ihnp4!ihlpa!gadfly    *** ***

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (10/10/87)

Karl Heuer was kind enough to point out that follow-ups should have
been to news.groups, news.misc.  That's water under the bridge now, but
I stand corrected.  Since several follow-ups have already gone to
news.misc, I suggest we stick with it and not confuse matters further.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

scott@lestat.LIMBO.MN.ORG (Scott Anderson) (10/12/87)

In article <8052@sri-unix.ARPA>, trent@sri-unix.ARPA (Ray Trent) writes:
> Yes, I know this doesn't count as a vote, but in my opinion, this idea
> doesn't even deserve a vote. Proposing a newsgroup where MES and discussion
> about MES can go (and "leave the rest of us alone") is a thinly disguised
> attempt to censor MES's ideas. (not all of which I agree with :-)

Wrong.  This is simply an attempt to get the NEVER ENDING discussion out
of groups like news.admin and news.misc.  Mark can still post anywhere
he wants.  All of the REST of the people posting ABOUT Mark can go
to talk.mesmith group and gab away.

--
Scott Anderson                  DOMAIN: scott@lestat.LIMBO.MN.ORG
MSDOS.  JUST SAY "NO!"            UUCP: {...}!meccts!lestat!scott

tombre@crin.crin.fr (Karl Tombre) (10/12/87)

In article <8052@sri-unix.ARPA> trent@sri-unix.UUCP (Ray Trent) writes:
>If Mark wants to talk about issues relevant to equality for women on
>this group, that is Mark's right. The fact that many people disagree with
>Mark's ideas is, if anything, a good reason to *keep* Mark around.

I didn't want to add my noise to all the other noise about this matter,
but...

I have now seen lots of articles in news.* groups about MES and all this.
As news admin, I can't unsubscribe to the news.* groups. I can 'K'ill
discussions but they come back with new subjects.

I disagree with the opinion that Mark (or anybody else) should talk about
issues like women's rights in a news.* group. There are special groups for
this. Because I have very strong opinions about classical music, why should
I be allowed to expose them in comp.lang.c ???

It has been said that USENET is not a childish Bulletin Board. I agree. We
consider it as a tool for professionals, and we are very satisfied with it.
We pay for getting the news because we think it provides good services. In
addition, it allows us to discuss our personal hobbies with other users,
creating a global community around the world. But insulting one another and
broadcasting this to the whole world, or putting discussions in groups where
they don't belong, this is a waste of money and time. Mark may pay something
to have access to a UNIX machine, but he (she) doesn't pay the money for
broadcasting this to everywhere. We do, all of us!!

I think that nearly all european sites decided not to get soc.women for
instance. It is our right to decide that. It is the right of other sites to
get it. But it should also be our right not to receive many Kb (should I say
Mb ?) of soc.women content in newgroups dedicated to something else.

This has nothing to do with the right of MES (or anybody else) to give his
(her) opinion in a newsgroups. But shouldn't it be possible to behave in a
responsible, professional way? And if somebody is not able to do that, there
are lots of bulletin boards where YOU pay for what you do. Feel free to join
them.

And feel free to send followups to talk.misc. We don't get this group in
Europe ;-) And yes, flames to /dev/null, of course.

--- Karl Tombre @ CRIN (Centre de Recherche en Informatique de Nancy)
EMAIL : tombre@crin.crin.fr  --   tombre@crin.UUCP
POST  : Karl Tombre, CRIN, B.P. 239, 54506 VANDOEUVRE CEDEX, France
PHONE : +33  83.91.21.25

nancym@pyrtech (Nancy McClelland) (10/14/87)

In article <8052@sri-unix.ARPA> trent@sri-unix.UUCP (Ray Trent) writes:
>doesn't even deserve a vote. Proposing a newsgroup where MES and discussion
>about MES can go (and "leave the rest of us alone") is a thinly disguised
>attempt to censor MES's ideas. (not all of which I agree with :-)
>If Mark wants to talk about issues relevant to equality for women on
>this group, that is Mark's right. The fact that many people disagree with
>Mark's ideas is, if anything, a good reason to *keep* Mark around.

I don't agree.  If Mark wanted to talk about ideas, fine.  But I for
one get *extreeemly* tired of the constant harangues.  The whole world
is out to get Mark, personally.  There is a conspiracy among people
who don't even know each other, (and some who do, and some who are actually
the same person, oh dear!) to pull her accounts. Everybody is trying
to censure Mark.  Sounds like paranoia to me, and I'm tired of it.
And please don't just tell me to use my "n" key or kill file.  My kill
file is chock full of MES logins and subjects, and there seems no end to
what I keep adding there.

 nancym
 |Nancy McClelland      email pyramid!nancym@pyrtech       Life's a die,and  |
 |1295 Charleston Rd.                                      then you bitch.   |
 |Mt. View, Ca. 94039   call  (408) 274-4295               Disclaimer: It    |
 |(415) 965-7200 x3400        San Jose, Cal.               *still* wasn't me!|

strata@eddie.MIT.EDU (Martha S. Rose) (10/15/87)

A strong "yes" vote here; I am very, very tired of this stuff,
and want it *out* of soc.women.

--
                         *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
Martha S. Rose          \|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/      mrose@athena.mit.edu

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (10/26/87)

In article <1238@bsu-cs.UUCP> I wrote:
     Due to the large number of postings related to Mark Ethan Smith, I
     hereby propose creation of a new newsgroup to be called
     "talk.mesmith". . . . Please send me your vote by electronic mail
     before the expiration date of this article (31 Oct 1987).

This is the only and final reminder that the poll closes at Sun Nov 1
00:00:00 GMT 1987.  I will allow about two days for votes postmarked by
then to reach here.  Also note that articles posted to the net are not
counted as votes.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi