[news.misc] c

newbery@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery) (12/15/87)

A feature I would like to see in 'rn', especially when faced with a huge
amount of news to read, is a catchup which *really* marks all articles
as read - i.e. does *not* present them to me again in other news groups
to which they have been cross-posted. Unfortunately the obvious choice for
such a command ("C") has already been used.
--
Michael Newbery

ACSnet:	newbery@vuwcomp.nz  UUCP: newbery@vuwcomp
Une boule qui roule tue les poules.		(Landslides kill chickens)

heiby@falkor.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (12/31/87)

I wanted to do the same thing a while back.  I don't remember who told
me how to do it, probably Larry Wall, himself!  Here's an rn macro that
creates a CTRL-C command that "junks" all the articles in the current
newsgroup.  Junking also marks articles as read in the other groups to
which they were cross-posted.  In $HOME/.rnmac, I have the line:

^C	$/\136/:j^J

The circumflex characters (^) are literally in the file.  There is a
single tab character after the capital C and before the dollar sign ($).
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"Intel architectures build character."

ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) (01/07/88)

In article <106@falkor.UUCP>, heiby@falkor.UUCP (Ron Heiby) writes:
> Here's an rn macro that
> creates a CTRL-C command that "junks" all the articles in the current
> newsgroup.  Junking also marks articles as read in the other groups to
> which they were cross-posted.  In $HOME/.rnmac, I have the line:
>
> ^C	$/\136/:j^J
>
> The circumflex characters (^) are literally in the file.  There is a
> single tab character after the capital C and before the dollar sign ($).

Did this work for anybody else??  Didn't work for me . . .

Also, being a neophyte to rn, was there a compile switch I missed??  Every
time I start up rn with a net (rn misc), I ALWAYS have to go through these:

********   0 unread articles in comp.bugs.misc--read now? [ynq] n
********   0 unread articles in comp.mail.misc--read now? [ynq] n
********   0 unread articles in comp.misc--read now? [ynq] n
********   0 unread articles in comp.protocols.misc--read now? [ynq] n
********   0 unread articles in comp.sources.misc--read now? [ynq] n
********   0 unread articles in comp.std.misc--read now? [ynq] n
******** 287 unread articles in misc.consumers.house--read now? [ynq]

I don't really care about '0 unread articles'!!  This is a short list . . .
it sometimes get's long and tedious.

Any ideas??

Phil Ritzenthaler			|USnail: University Computer Services
Good at all, Master at none!            |        241 Math-Science Bldg.
UUCP :.!cbosgd!osu-cis!bgsuvax!ritzenth |        Bowling Green State University
CSNET: ritzenth@bgsu.edu                |        Bowling Green, OH   43403-0125
ARPA : ritzenth%bgsu.edu@relay.cs.net   | Phone: (419) 372-2102