[news.misc] A question about rn's quirk...

pepper@dasys1.UUCP (Angelique Wahlstedt) (02/22/88)

A few times when I tried to post a follow-up article, I'd get this
message "article shorter than text", and my article'd be stashed
away in the "dead.article" file instead. What on earth does the
message mean?? And why? (By the way, I'm using "rn".)

--
Angeli "Ms. Pepper" Wahlstedt

INTERNET: wahlsted@handel.colostate.edu    UUCP: ...!dasys1!pepper
          ms-pepper@cup.portal.com               ...!hao!handel!wahlsted

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (02/25/88)

In article <3061@dasys1.UUCP> pepper@dasys1.UUCP (Angelique Wahlstedt) writes:
>A few times when I tried to post a follow-up article, I'd get this
>message "article shorter than text", and my article'd be stashed away
>in the "dead.article" file instead.  (By the way, I'm using "rn".)

You included more text from the article to which you were posting a
followup, than you contributed original material to the discussion.

This feature is intended to reduce the volume flowing around the net
that was caused by people blindly including entire articles without
editing to cite only those parts that were necessary to understanding
of their own little part of the discussion.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!bob

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (03/02/88)

In article <7147@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>You included more text from the article to which you were posting a
>followup, than you contributed original material to the discussion.

Sometimes I've seen this backfire.  The poster simply adds several lines
of fluff to make sure he/she is posting more material than the original
posting.
--
David Beckemeyer			| "To understand ranch lingo all yuh
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| have to do is to know in advance what

flaps@dgp.toronto.edu (Alan J Rosenthal) (03/10/88)

In article <158@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:
:->In article <7147@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
:->>You included more text from the article to which you were posting a
:->>followup, than you contributed original material to the discussion.
:->
:->Sometimes I've seen this backfire.  The poster simply adds several lines
:->of fluff to make sure he/she is posting more material than the original
:->posting.

Well, I think the solution to this is to advise people of how to evade this
restriction properly.  Sometimes it is reasonable to evade it, like in this
posting.

ajr
--
If you had eternal life, would you be able to say all the integers?