[news.misc] 3.0 news -- clearing up confusion

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (03/09/88)

I received the following by email today. Since it reflects what may be
a widespread confusion, I am posting it along with my reply.

>  I am starting to get a little confused.  How is your news 3.0 related
>to new C netnews from the University of Toronto?  Are we heading toward
>two different versions of netnews?  I'm not sure I like the sound of that.
>Its hard enough when not everyone is at the latest patch level.  If you
>could shed some light on this subject I would greatly appreciate it.

No, 3.0 news is not C news. It is an entirely independent rewrite that
evolved by mutation (and eventual 100% replacement) of the code in the
4.3BSD beta release of 2.10.3. It does incorporate a number of C news
ideas, however, and the Toronto people are listed as contributors to the
design. But I am the person responsible for the code that's in there now.

Henry Spencer and Geoff Collyer have stated that they are not interested
in maintaining a main-line news release. Therefore, my understanding is
that 3.0 will be the official continuation of the B news line. I will maintain
and extend it. I have plans to extend netnews to support full hypertext
functionality, if I can scrape together the money to work on it full-time.

Also note that C news only redoes the "transport" layer -- rnews, expire,
inews. The only reader they supply is a hacked-over Australian version of
readnews. 3.0, on the other hand, supplies rewritten and extended readers,
including a couple of new ones and a back end plus control code for GNUMACS.

I'm going to post this to try and forestall a flood of similar queries.

..!{ihnp4,seismo,rutgers}!cbmvax!snark!eric    -->     Eric S. Raymond

--
      Eric S. Raymond                  (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      UUCP:  {{seismo,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax,sdcrdcf!burdvax,vu-vlsi}!snark!eric

jeff@polyslo.UUCP (Jeff Weinstein) (03/09/88)

In article <223494f9:190e@snark.UUCP> eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>Henry Spencer and Geoff Collyer have stated that they are not interested
>in maintaining a main-line news release. Therefore, my understanding is
>that 3.0 will be the official continuation of the B news line. I will maintain
>and extend it. I have plans to extend netnews to support full hypertext
>functionality, if I can scrape together the money to work on it full-time.

Can either Henry or Geoff comment on this?  What is the point of their work
if it is not going to be part of the official news software?  Will the 3.0
news have the similar performance improvements to those claimed by the C
news implementors?  Thanks for helping to clear up the confusion.

	Jeff Weinstein
	Computer Systems Lab
	Cal Poly State Univ.
	jeff@polyslo.uucp
	ucbvax!voder!polyslo!jeff

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (03/10/88)

Are there any benchmarks comparing the speed of News 3.0 to C News?  How
about 3.0 News to the existing 2.11.14?  Any other comparisons or lists
of features would be helpful for people trying to decide the direction to
go in.

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (03/11/88)

>Any other comparisons or lists
>of features would be helpful

RN won't work.  No matter how good the 3.0 newsreader is, and no matter
how close it comes to providing the features, it won't be RN.  For many
people, myself included, this will be a killing blow.  I hope this gets
fixed before this news system gets released.

(I shudder to think how much this will slow down RN5.0 :-)
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (03/17/88)

In article <507@fig.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>RN won't work.  No matter how good the 3.0 newsreader is, and no matter
>how close it comes to providing the features, it won't be RN.  For many
>people, myself included, this will be a killing blow.  I hope this gets
>fixed before this news system gets released.

The answer, of course, is to put back in the DOXREFS patch as a
configurable option.  The authors of 3.0 news basically have three
choices --

a) support the Xref:  header, even though it's "wrong", or
b) not complain too much when official patch #1 puts it in, or
c) watch while twenty different buggy versions appear on the net,
   everyone does their own patch, and the software can no longer be
   centrally administered because everybody has slightly different
   code.

I'm sure Eric will produce a marvelous newsreader.  But tens of
thousands of us know and love rn.  Don't break it.

--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,sun,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
	    Old Internet mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net

mac@student.UUCP (Mary Ann Ciuffini) (03/18/88)

In article <507@fig.bbn.com>, rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
> >Any other comparisons or lists
> >of features would be helpful
>
> RN won't work.  No matter how good the 3.0 newsreader is, and no matter
> how close it comes to providing the features, it won't be RN.  For many
> --
> Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

This is a test of a follow up to a message from my host

rad@tektronix.tek.com (03/18/88)

In article <2004@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>a) support the Xref:  header, even though it's "wrong", or

Doing it "right" (i.e. getting Xref info out of the history file) has
been on my list of g-jobs to do for rn since I heard about 3.0 not
including Xref: lines.  People have been bitching about this for so
long (in fact, since the Xref: line first appeared), I don't understand
why noone has worked out the fix.

Richard Doty.

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (03/21/88)

In article <2570@tekgen.TEK.COM> rad@tektronix.tek.com (Richard Doty) writes:
>In article <2004@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>>a) support the Xref:  header, even though it's "wrong", or
>Doing it "right" (i.e. getting Xref info out of the history file) has

er..  what's *wrong* with Xref: headers anyway?

With Xref: headers we can do away with the need for a dbm based
history file in preference to keeping the same information directly
in the file system.  This was discussed one month about a year
ago and everybody agreed that it was do-able but nobody did it.

The idea is to have a seperate directory structure which encodes the
article-id into a path name, and at the leaves of the path is
YetAnotherLink to the article.  (something like "edu/uky/ms/g/3256" as
the path name in this seperate directory structure, that particular
article-id -> path mapping won't work very well, but some other mapping
WILL work).  In the header of the article would be the Xref: header so
that you can track down the places where the article lives easily
(otherwise you'd have to make a recursive traversal of the directory
tree).

The only extra cost is inodes for the second directory structure.

For articles which have expired or been canceled, we'd have to
keep the entry in the article-id directory structure, but no
entries in the article structure.  To save space we could truncate
the file to 0 characters.  Unfortunately this'll cost quite
a few inodes.

Then of course this idea can be extended to have extra directory
hierarchies on any of the header lines.  Yeah, hypertext anyone? :-)

For each additional directory hierarchy we gain a new way of finding
articles, but it also costs more inodes to build the directories.
(REMINDER TO NON-WIZARDS: It won't cost more inodes to store
extra links to the file -- that is unless you're not on Unix).

--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (03/22/88)

In article <8631@g.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) writes:
>The idea is to have a seperate directory structure which encodes the
>article-id into a path name, and at the leaves of the path is
>YetAnotherLink to the article.
>The only extra cost is inodes for the second directory structure.

Yikes!!!!  What a cost.  There are something like 8000 sites on this
network, or so Brian Reid's surveys claim, so you're talking about at
least 8000 directories (more for the hierarchy needed to avoid a directory
with 8000 entries), and that means over 8000 inodes.  And at least
8000 blocks of filespace for the directories, which is 8 megs on many
machines.   I only allocate 5 megs for all of the news spools.

>For articles which have expired or been canceled, we'd have to
>keep the entry in the article-id directory structure, but no
>entries in the article structure.  To save space we could truncate
>the file to 0 characters.  Unfortunately this'll cost quite
>a few inodes.

And if expired articles are kept for an extra 2 weeks, that's probably
another several thousand inodes.

Who knows, with luck, we'll get some K news volunteers, and all of these
questions will become silly.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

rbp@investor.UUCP (Bob Peirce) (03/22/88)

> RN won't work.  No matter how good the 3.0 newsreader is, and no matter
> how close it comes to providing the features, it won't be RN.  For many
> --
> Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

Why won't rn work?
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				 412-471-5320
uucp: ...!{allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis, psuvax1}!pitt!investor!rbp

michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) (03/27/88)

One problem with Xref: is that if news is comming in while you are reading,
you may see an article in one group with an xref to a "non-existent" article
(it does exist, but rn's got an out of date active file copy to work with).
--
: Michael Gersten          uunet.uu.net!ucla-an.ANES\
:				 ihnp4!hermix!ucla-an!denwa!stb!michael