[news.misc] 3.0 drops the latest reference

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Emacs Weenie) (03/26/88)

In article <224535ed:1259@snark.UUCP>, eric@snark (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>In article <3203@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>>	Why do you need either Xrefs or the history file to eliminate
>>seeing cross posted articles twice?  Why not just keep track of the inode
>>number of every article file you open?

>You are absolutely right. I will implement this,

Will this work under NNTP?

>					        it should fit neatly into the
>scheme I'm already using to support backtracking and discussion trees.

I don't know what scheme your using.  But I'd appreciate it if you didn't
break other people's schemes (ie, mine).  In particular, none of your art-
icles put the responded-to article message-id up in the "References:" line.

Thus, you responded to Roy Smith @phri, but your references make it appear
to be Joe Buck @epimass.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (03/27/88)

In article <8040@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, weemba (a small gnews-ance) writes:
>                                         In particular, none of your art-
>icles put the responded-to article message-id up in the "References:" line.

You're right, thanks for pointing this out. I will fix it as soon as I finish
reading news today.

BTW, I have dropped the idea of holding i-node numbers to do global seen-
checking; the only reasonable way to do it, it turns out, would have had some
undesirable side effects on my session code.
 --
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      UUCP: {{uunet,rutgers,ihnp4}!cbmvax,rutgers!vu-vlsi}!snark!eric