[news.misc] Take a sniff of Gnews

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Emacs Weenie) (03/23/88)

Posting-Front-End: Gnews 1.3

[This hasn't been about new newsgroup proposals for quite a while--and
 you sysadmins expect USERS to find the correct newsgroup?--so I'm re-
 directing the discussion over to news.misc.  See you there.]

In article <34@ncar.ucar.edu>, woods@ncar (Greg Woods) writes:
>In article <1501@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>>	b) Even smarter commands, which might check the article text
>>	   to help make suggestions.

>   We're talking serious AI here. This is really the rub. When someone
>actually implements this, only THEN will I believe it can be done. This is
>a lot more difficult than it appears on the surface.

And AI means Lisp, which Gnews is coded in.  True, only a minority of news
users will ever run Gnews, but I expect that there will soon be enough of
them that Gnews makes possible the rapid development and testing of new
newsreader techniques.  Gnews has features and features galore--so many
that I've even converted people from vi & rrn to Emacs & Gnews.  And the
reason Gnews has so many features is because it is written in ELisp.  RMS
has already done most of the nasty low-level work for me, and I'm left with
merely programming the concepts.

End of advertisement, back to the testing of new newsreader techniques: if
these seem to work in the limited context of Gnews users, getting the code
into C for everyone else will proceed rather straightforwardly, as the de-
sign problem has already been solved and shown viable.  Note that Gnews it-
self doesn't have to hold anyone hostage to someone else's testing: it'd
be very trivial to introduce a gnews-volunteer-hook.  But it would be very
easy to force a successful scheme into the C code.  Indeed, such a two-layer
approach to obnoxious features might mitigate against harsh user reactions,
as when the 50% rule suddenly appeared.

And as for the "serious AI" we're talking here: Greg, you're exaggerating.
Remember ELIZA?  The program doesn't have to be great, just good enough to
block noise noise noise that you and I and hundreds of other posters are
absolutely sick of.  And similarly, while any code can be gotten around,
most of it will be left in at most sites.

Thus, looking for "Guin?ess" in articles crossposted to 4 or more news-
groups, or counting the number of times "abortion" or "fetus" shows up in
a non talk.abortion article, etc. are not terribly difficult tasks.  There
are 100s of these kludges that could be tried.

And now for some fairy stories.
Ask yourself: what would be the effect of the following warning window
if it showed up to a potential sci.astro poster on "Velikovsky":

** Hello.  You are apparently posting about Velikovsky to sci.astro.
** Unfortunately, this is an extremely volatile topic, and all such
** discussion is to take place in talk.origins.
**
** Note that the question of whether Velikovsky's work is or is not
** "science" is irrelevant: newsgroups are not ideal Platonic cate-
** gories, but convenient ways to organize topics.
**
** Nor is there any need to "defend" science, if that is why you are
** posting.  Most newsreaders don't need to be convinced, so keep your
** chastisements to e-mail.  And if your e-mail bounces, consider the
** matter dead--surely others sent e-mail too.
**
** If your site doesn't get talk.origins, it is for a reason: your site's
** management has decided that it cannot afford to carry or merely does
** not want to appear to sponsor this very topic of discussion.
**
** Do we understand each other? (y or n)
Ask yourself: what would be the effect of the following if it showed up
to an article cross-posted to comp.unix.{questions,wizards}.

** Hello.  You are crossposting between the unix questions and wizards group.
** I suspect you have a question which you find exasperating, and you want to
** make sure that the wizards see it to save the day.
**
** Please don't bother the wizards like this; more than enough knowledgeable
** people read the questions group that you will probably get the help you
** need there.  If you don't get any help in question, then ask the wizards
** group.  Do not cross-post that time either.
**
** Do we understand each other? (y or n)
Ask yourself: what would be the effect of the following if it showed up

** Hello.  You are posting your vote.  Don't bother.  The vote will be
** ignored no matter what.  Believe it or not, there are people out there
** who care very much about this matter--more than you do--and will take
** your name down if you post, and then double-check to see if your name
** appears on the final tally.
**
** Since mail bouncing happens on EVERY collection of votes, the rules
** for newsgroup voting have already taken into account this problem in
** an ill-defined but generally fair way.
**
** So if you can't get your mail through, we're sorry.  You tried, and
** that's the end of that.
**
** Do we understand each other? (y or n)
that often for now, I can't volunteer.  If I convert Brad or someone else
who likes his idea over to Gnews, I expect that by the end of this summer
there'd be a working prototype, plus enough Gnewsers to give it a real
workout.

Note that the default response means the posting is rejected, or in some
cases, like the questions/wizards cross-posting warning, means that the
"Newsgroup" field is modified.

So, how about it?
About Gnews: 1.3 will be released in about a week; it'll be on ucbvax for
anonymous FTP.  FSF will distribute Gnews with the rest of Emacs as soon
as someone tests and debugs the rn-emulator code.

I'll throw in some testimonials this time around:

|		     We have a couple of our local emacs fans sorta
|beta testing it, and they drop by and show me all the funky features
|and such all the time. They think its the best thing since sliced bread.

|Definitely a win.  My congratulations.  Looks far more flexible
|than rn or rnews

|I love Gnews; I use it every day.

|Thanks for the fixes you sent me.  I'm very impressed with Gnews now
|that it is basically working.

Gnews isn't perfect yet--most of the above came with a big "but...".
ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
I vote YES on soc.intercourse, YES on comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.d.d, YES
on talk.wheat.chaff, and am now collecting votes for alt.collectivism
--the moderated group where everyone agrees with us at the Brahms Gang
or ELSE. (Or else what? I don't know. We'll start with Maroney Awards!)

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (03/24/88)

Well, I don't know what effect such questioning would have on other people,
but my reaction would be to replace the function that does this with a
function that minds its own business.

Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{oddjob,gargoyle,ihnp4}!nucsrl!gore

lisper-bjorn@CS.YALE.EDU (Bjorn Lisper) (03/24/88)

In article <7928@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (a small
gnews-ance) writes:
>In article <34@ncar.ucar.edu>, woods@ncar (Greg Woods) writes:
>>In article <1501@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>>>	b) Even smarter commands, which might check the article text
>>>	   to help make suggestions.
>
>>   We're talking serious AI here.
>And AI means Lisp, which Gnews is coded in.
>And as for the "serious AI" we're talking here: Greg, you're exaggerating.
>Remember ELIZA?  The program doesn't have to be great, just good enough to
>block noise noise noise that you and I and hundreds of other posters are
>absolutely sick of.

The simplest solution is of course to have a program that just says "no"
every time somebody tries to post something. This will effectively block out
all the noise. And it is very simple to code.

>Thus, looking for "Guin?ess" in articles crossposted to 4 or more news-
>groups, or counting the number of times "abortion" or "fetus" shows up in
>a non talk.abortion article, etc. are not terribly difficult tasks.  There
>are 100s of these kludges that could be tried.
[examples of "intelligent" screening messages deleted]

You wouldn't need only hundreds, you would need many, many more rules. This
is NOT as simple as a program as ELIZA that merely bounces back the input of
the user in the form of a question: "tell me more about your desire to post
to comp.foo.bar...." There are so many newsgroups, and so many possible
keywords for each newsgroups. Besides, just looking for keywords isn't
enough since they can mean different things in different context. A posting
to comp.parallel that mentions "abortion" 17 times doesn't have to be a
misdirected talk.abortion posting for instance, it could very well deal with
how to get rid of unwanted processes in a multiprocessor environment.
Language is another issue, discussions doesn't necessarily have to be in
English. Postings can be restricted to certain geographical areas and a
posting restricted to, say, West Germany could very well be in German, even
in a newsgroup where the discussion is primarily in English otherwise. This
IS serious AI and I don't think that even e-lisp will make such a screening
system feasible.

Even if such a screening mechanism WAS possible I would object to it. The
reason is that I think those participating in the discussion of a newsgroup
should decide the topic by themselves. Every newsgroup has a brief
categorization of suitable topics for discussion but what's interesting
within a certain category changes with time. A set of screening rules would
make everything much more rigid. The wonderful thing with usenet is that it
is what we make it to. A set of detailed screening rules, expressing what
somebody sometimes decided should be allowed or not allowed, will hamper
this basic principle.

Finally, who wants to get kicked around by a machine? It is bad enough with
the little message I get every time I try to post something:

"This program may post news to many machines.
 Are you absolutely sure that you want to do that? [ny]"

Not to mention the obnoxious 50% rule for inclusion of earlier postings.
Granted, it has spurred people's creativity to come up with bypassing
techniques like adding a lot of blank lines at the end or substituting ">"
with some other character. (Fortunately this rule isn't enforced at my site.)
Whenever I run a program I want to be the one that is in charge, not the
other way around. Having to fight my way through a set of well intended but
obnoxious rules questioning the contents of my postings would either give me
an ulcer or force me off usenet.

I do recognize the problem with junk postings that this screening technique
is supposed to solve. But I think this is the wrong way to do it. Those in
charge to take care of this problem are the other readers of the affected
newsgroups. It is possible to send e-mail to people generating too much
noise and ask them to stop. Sometimes flames ARE appropriate (although many
of them belong to the "noise").

>** Do we understand each other? (y or n)

Bjorn Lisper

PS. The original posting contained some adavertising for Gnews. I'm in no
way opposed to Gnews, as long as people with itching fingers don't try to
hack in their favorite prejudices about the subjects of certain newsgroups.
I haven't had the opportunity to use Gnews yet, but I use GNU emacs all the
time and if Gnews is to rn what GNU emacs is to other editors then it must
be good. DS

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (03/24/88)

In article <7928@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (a small gnews-ance) writes:
>Thus, looking for "Guin?ess" in articles crossposted to 4 or more news-
>groups, or counting the number of times "abortion" or "fetus" shows up in
>a non talk.abortion article, etc. are not terribly difficult tasks.  There
>are 100s of these kludges that could be tried.

   Yes, there are. My question is: how useful is that information? I say:
not very. Someone might post a line in a comp.lang.c article like "I wrote
a really bad subroutine to do this; it was truly an abortion".
Counting words is NOT GOOD ENOUGH to do classifications. You have to
determine if the word is really used in the context that would place it
into the classification for it (for example, the above article would
certainly not belong in talk.abortion). And THIS is what would require
"serious AI".
  As for the "fairy stories", I don't think it would be possible to keep
up-to-date with this sort of thing. Remember, lots of news admins are doing
that job as a 10th or 11th priority item. Maintaining a program as complex
as a GOOD keyword-based news system cannot, in my opinion, be done as a
10th priority item.

--Greg

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Emacs Weenie) (03/24/88)

In article <25590@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, lisper-bjorn@CS (Bjorn Lisper) writes:
>the user in the form of a question: "tell me more about your desire to post
>to comp.foo.bar...." There are so many newsgroups, and so many possible
>keywords for each newsgroups.

But not all of them have repeated problems caused by naive users over and
over again.  If a problem is annoying enough in a certain newsgroup, then
by the very fact that it is annoying, someone will be motivated to work on
it.  If no one is willing, then it musnt' have been annoying to begin with.

>			       Besides, just looking for keywords isn't
>enough since they can mean different things in different context. A posting
>to comp.parallel that mentions "abortion" 17 times doesn't have to be a
>misdirected talk.abortion posting for instance, it could very well deal with
>how to get rid of unwanted processes in a multiprocessor environment.

Articles are not blocked, they are queried.  Just say no if you want.

>Language is another issue, discussions doesn't necessarily have to be in
>English. Postings can be restricted to certain geographical areas and a
>posting restricted to, say, West Germany could very well be in German, even
>in a newsgroup where the discussion is primarily in English otherwise.

SO WHAT?  I couldn't care less about what's happening to a West German
only newsgroup.  The small size of it mitigates the need for much anyway.

>								        This
>IS serious AI and I don't think that even e-lisp will make such a screening
>system feasible.

No, it isn't serious AI.  If it goofs, nothing worse than a little annoy-
ance has occurred.  So what?  When it works, 1000s of little annoyances
are prevented.  And if it doesn't translate German into English to check
if "abortion" is being discussed, so what?  Really, you're exaggerating
the difficulties way out of proportion.

>Even if such a screening mechanism WAS possible I would object to it. The
>reason is that I think those participating in the discussion of a newsgroup
>should decide the topic by themselves.

And it's decided year in and year out that Velikovsky belongs in talk.origins.

>				        Every newsgroup has a brief
>categorization of suitable topics for discussion but what's interesting
>within a certain category changes with time. A set of screening rules would
>make everything much more rigid.

And a set of screening rules could include a definitive answer/explanation
to the Monty Hall problem which is hitting sci.math, rec.puzzles for the
third time in the last six months.

>				  The wonderful thing with usenet is that it
>is what we make it to.

OK.  You tell me how the readers of sci.astro can make it Velikovsky-free.

>		        A set of detailed screening rules, expressing what
>somebody sometimes decided should be allowed or not allowed, will hamper
>this basic principle.

I'd like to see some higher quality newsgroups around here.  And I'd like
to see it done without moderation.  The most basic screening would serve
as a "Hey you, think before posting", or "Sorry, bub, but this belongs in
a different newsgroup."  Why does that bother you?  I don't know of anyone
who's going to miss "I vote ..." articles in news.groups.  Do you?

>Finally, who wants to get kicked around by a machine? It is bad enough with
>the little message I get every time I try to post something:
>
>"This program may post news to many machines.
> Are you absolutely sure that you want to do that? [ny]"

Hahaha.  No way is this in Gnews.

The rules are only brought into play when a certain condition is met.  Most
postings should cause no problems.

>Whenever I run a program I want to be the one that is in charge, not the
>other way around. Having to fight my way through a set of well intended but
>obnoxious rules questioning the contents of my postings would either give me
>an ulcer or force me off usenet.

Well if asking you to post a naive Unix question to comp.unix.questions
only, instead of cross-posting to comp.unix.wizards, just ruins your di-
gestion, then I think maybe you need to relax a little.  Of course, the
same could be said for the person who gets upset at such crosspostings
in the first place.

>I do recognize the problem with junk postings that this screening technique
>is supposed to solve.

Good.

>		       But I think this is the wrong way to do it. Those in
>charge to take care of this problem are the other readers of the affected
>newsgroups. It is possible to send e-mail to people generating too much
>noise and ask them to stop.

That's what I usually do.  Along with KILL files.  What's wrong with doing
it once and for all times with certain standard no-nos?

I cited 3 or 4 examples, none of which you mentioned.  Tell me what was
wrong with them.

>			     Sometimes flames ARE appropriate (although many
>of them belong to the "noise").

I couldn't agree more!

>PS. The original posting contained some advertising for Gnews.

In fact, that advertising was the primary reason I posted in the first place.
I think Emacs+Gnews really makes for a wonderful development environment.  We
We hear people make suggestions about do-this, do-that over and over again,
but as very few have the time, they just keep getting proposed over and
over again.

To me, having a two-layer implementation method, whereby the first version
is written in ELisp and tested on Gnewsers, and then it gets recoded in C
for rn/Pnews, allows not just for speed in development, but trial runs to
see whether the idea is practical or not.

Maybe the rules-based screen can work.  Maybe it can't.  Maybe it will be
too obnoxious, or maybe people will go along with the flow.  I don't know,
you don't know, NOBODY knows.  Gnews offers a simpler and quicker way to
test this.  If the method turns out to be a failure, then whoever worked
on it hasn't wasted as much time as he would have had he worked on it in C.

>								 I'm in no
>way opposed to Gnews, as long as people with itching fingers don't try to
>hack in their favorite prejudices about the subjects of certain newsgroups.

How about, "the standard prejudices that have been settled on repeatedly"?
In article <40@ncar.ucar.edu>, woods@ncar (Greg Woods) writes:
>In article <7928@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (a small gnews-ance) writes:
>>Thus, looking for "Guin?ess" in articles crossposted to 4 or more news-
>>groups, or counting the number of times "abortion" or "fetus" shows up in
>>a non talk.abortion article, etc. are not terribly difficult tasks.  There
>>are 100s of these kludges that could be tried.
>
>   Yes, there are. My question is: how useful is that information? I say:
>not very.

And I say: nobody knows.

>	   Someone might post a line in a comp.lang.c article like "I wrote
>a really bad subroutine to do this; it was truly an abortion".

Say then requiring "abortion", "fetus", "person" to show up four times
between them--and not quoted as I'm doing now either--would be a better
requirement.  I'm not trying to write any definitive rules right now.

>Counting words is NOT GOOD ENOUGH to do classifications.

I'm NOT proposing classifications.  I'm proposing half-hearted, lukewarm
classifications.

The user is free to answer "no" to the "do we understand each other?"
question, ie, "No, Mr Computer Sir, you didn't understand me.  Shut up
and let me post."

>							  You have to
>determine if the word is really used in the context that would place it
>into the classification for it (for example, the above article would
>certainly not belong in talk.abortion). And THIS is what would require
>"serious AI".

NO NO NO.  If the rough-and-ready rule is bad, it will just mean a little
more annoyance.  But it doesn't require "serious AI".  The user always
has the final say.

>  As for the "fairy stories", I don't think it would be possible to keep
>up-to-date with this sort of thing.

I see that you are not rebutting these stories, but are pointing out an
external difficulty.  Is this a concession, then, that you agree that such
fairy stories, if implemented, would have a beneficial effect?  I'll agree
that it's possible to come up with monster stories instead--but I think
that it has to be agreed upon first whether or not in principle this idea
of Brad's is worthwhile.  Bjorn Lisper explicitly said he didn't think so
--how about your opinion?

I can do no more than say to Bjorn, "I disagree, here's the reason".  But
when it comes to questions of actually implementing something that you
and other widely respected sysadmins think is OK in principle, but just
happen to believe is a Lisper's pipe-dream, then only trying it out will
tell us who's correct.  And there's no point in trying it out if the re-
action from the backbone is a loud "hell no".  Remember junker?

>				     Remember, lots of news admins are doing
>that job as a 10th or 11th priority item. Maintaining a program as complex
>as a GOOD keyword-based news system cannot, in my opinion, be done as a
>10th priority item.

Huh?  This makes no sense.  Why is keeping up to date for one kind of pro-
gram any harder than any other?  There's a database of rules, and responses.
If it's out-of-date, then some will be missed.  So what?  And deciding just
how much work this will be, based on your assumption that it's going to be
a very complicated AI monster, isn't really a fair criterion yet.

Remember: the idea is to encourage better traffic, not create a Usenetopia.

Will it work?  Hell if I know.  And hell if you know either.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba   Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
They can all go to hell. Of course, some should go before others. One
has a responsibility to make discriminations.	   --Simon Lacerous

mohamed@hscfvax.harvard.edu (Mohamed_el_Lozy) (03/24/88)

In article <40@ncar.ucar.edu> woods@handies.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>                                    Remember, lots of news admins are doing
>that job as a 10th or 11th priority item.
>
>--Greg

If only more people in the usenet community realised that simple fact life
would be simpler for all of us.

Getting news 2.11 to work was a big hassle.  It is working now.  Who wants
news 3?  I sure as hell don't.

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (03/25/88)

In article <25590@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> lisper-bjorn@CS.YALE.EDU (Bjorn Lisper) writes:
>Not to mention the obnoxious 50% rule for inclusion of earlier postings.
>Granted, it has spurred people's creativity to come up with bypassing
>techniques like adding a lot of blank lines at the end or substituting ">"
>with some other character. (Fortunately this rule isn't enforced at my site.)
>Whenever I run a program I want to be the one that is in charge, not the
>other way around. Having to fight my way through a set of well intended but
>obnoxious rules questioning the contents of my postings would either give me
>an ulcer or force me off usenet.

A lot of people seem to misunderstand these code features.  You should feel
no prouder in cheating the software than you should at getting off for
a crime due to a technicality.

If one of these rules spots your aritcle, you're getting a big hint that
people don't want to see that sort of article.  This is not a message that
you should try and get around it.   We don't want to see long signatures with
pictures, US Mail addresses, phone numbers and quotes.  We don't want to
see articles where the included material hasn't been compacted and summarized.

Changing the ">" to "+" does not make your article more desirable to people.
It only cheats the software.

I have said this time and time again, but nobody seems to listen.  The net
is for the *readers* and not the posters.  If a software check makes posting
100 times harder, and it helps eliminate 10% of the unwanted articles,
that's worth it.

I used to think that the transmission cost was the big cost in an article.
A typical article costs $10 or so per kilobyte.   The big cost is the
3 seconds spent scanning and rejecting the useless article.  With 15,000
readers, that represents over 12 person-hours of time.  Even at very low
wages, that's around $60 in wasted time.  It's more like $150 at programmer
wages.

[ This only refers to articles that are skipped, which are wasted time.
  Articles that get read take more time, but in theory it isn't wasted.  ]

So if the rules you hate make posting take an extra minute, tough.  If they
stop a bogus article then they save TWELVE HOURS of other people's time.

That's why I advocate:
	o No automatic followup, text inclusion or signature inclusion features.
	o Checking like Matthew described.
	o No posting news while reading news
	o Checking like we have now, for too much inclusion, sig too long
	o Default minimal distribution for articles
	o Much better and more detailed article classifications
	o Lots of small, low-volume newsgroups
	o No posting ability for novice users until they are approved by
	  the site admin.

You may think this somehow abridges your *freedom* of the net.  The point
I'm making is that all the noisemakers abridge everybody's freedom of the
net, and they've forced a great many people to quit the net because of
the noise.  Where's their freedom because they won't speak up?  It seems
we get a nasty positive feedback, where noisemakers scare away everybody
but their kind.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

rice@oberlin.UUCP (Brian Rice) (03/25/88)

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Emacs Weenie) writes:

> And AI means Lisp, which Gnews is coded in.
>
> [etc.]
>
> And now for some fairy stories.
>
> [several thousand bytes worth of fairy stories]

Suppose that Gnews had the requisite rules to implement for all these fairy
stories.  THEN suppose weemba tried to post THAT MESSAGE.

He'd be y-or-n'ing for days!

(If weemba can write me a function HALTS(f), I retract this comment.)

Brian Rice            UUCP:   ...{bellcore,ihnp4}!oberlin!rice
Oberlin College       BITnet: SBR5018@oberlin   CSNET: rice@oberlin.edu
"Fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa." -- David Byrne

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (03/25/88)

In article <7961@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (a small gnews-ance) writes:
>In article <40@ncar.ucar.edu>, woods@ncar (Greg Woods) writes:
>>   Yes, there are. My question is: how useful is that information? I say:
>>not very.
>
>And I say: nobody knows.

  In practice of course you are right. However, when it comes to an
officially-supported version of news software, the two are equivalent.
Before I would advocate making such a system part of the standard news
software, I need to be convinced that it works and that it does some good.

>Say then requiring "abortion", "fetus", "person" to show up four times
>between them--and not quoted as I'm doing now either--would be a better
>requirement.  I'm not trying to write any definitive rules right now.

   But sooner or later you have to. My point is that I do not believe that
you can do so in any reliable way. Convince me I'm wrong (I am keeping an
open mind) and I'll believe your proposal is a "good thing".

>The user is free to answer "no" to the "do we understand each other?"
>question, ie, "No, Mr Computer Sir, you didn't understand me.  Shut up
>and let me post."

   Look at how many complaints we already get about the 50% rule. Of course
I am in favor of the 50% rule, but not everyone agrees with me :-) This is
more of the same, except that the heuristics are much more difficult to
define in any meaningful way.

>I see that you are not rebutting these [fairy] stories, but are pointing out an
>external difficulty.  Is this a concession, then, that you agree that such
>fairy stories, if implemented, would have a beneficial effect?

  Well, there were over 100 lines of "fairy stories" and I only have
so much time to read news :-) I personally think they might be beneficial,
but only if they are kept up-to-date. I really don't like the idea of hard-
coding things for individual newsgroups into the posting software. It
makes it much harder to change the newsgroup structure (including such
things as renaming groups or deleting groups) and I think we need to
retain maximum flexibility in this area.

>And there's no point in trying it out if the re-
>action from the backbone is a loud "hell no".  Remember junker?

  Unless I explicitly say so, these are just my PERSONAL OPINIONS and do
NOT, repeat NOT, represent any official position of the backbone. We
frequently have disagreements among ourselves, but the minority usually
agrees to go along with the majority because it is the only thing standing
in the way of having the net degenerate into COMPLETE chaos (as an example,
I was opposed to letting the unauthorized creation of rec.music.beatles
stand because I thought it set a very bad precedent. I was overruled because
most of the rest didn't think it was worth making a fuss over. Looks like
the same thing has happened again with comp.sys.amiga.tech, which I am not
carrying on my site but which someone continues to feed to me, but that is
a flame for a different discussion).
  And as for "hell no", I'm not ruling anything out completely. I just have
to be convinced it will work and do some good before I would advocate having
it included in the official news software distribution.

>Huh?  This makes no sense.  Why is keeping up to date for one kind of pro-
>gram any harder than any other?

  All sorts of reasons, including such things as frequency and magnitude
of changes. One reason people can get away with maintaining news as a 10th
priority is that the software is stable and requires relatively few changes.

  Naturally, if you want to try something like this out on your own site,
no one is stopping you. In general, I am against keyword-based news systems
because they sound great in theory, but I don't believe they will work in
practice. You're right in saying I don't KNOW they won't work, but you don't
know they WILL. If someone implements one that works, maybe they can
convince me I'm wrong, but until then I still think keyword news is an
unworkable idea.

--Greg

tneff@atpal.UUCP (Tom Neff) (03/25/88)

Can you imagine the reaction to the following warning screen appearing to
a poster on news.misc:

**  You seem to be posting yet another over-intelligent blocking message
**  to be thrust in the face of poor net users trying to enjoy themselves.
**  As you may have heard, these high-tech wet blankets are slowly choking
**  the life out of what was once a raucous, wide-open discussion resource.
**  Your latest contribution just might be the straw that breaks the camel's
**  back.  I will post it if you absolutely insist, but don't blame me if this
**  site is pushing up daisies in another two years, along with half the Net.
**

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Emacs Weenie) (03/25/88)

In article <717@oberlin.UUCP>, rice@oberlin (Brian Rice) writes:
>Suppose that Gnews had the requisite rules to implement for all these fairy
>stories.

Let's see now.  There was...

:if it showed up to a potential sci.astro poster on "Velikovsky":
:to an article cross-posted to comp.unix.{questions,wizards}.

>	   THEN suppose weemba tried to post THAT MESSAGE.

On this tiny 3-for-3 sample, it looks like it would go through pretty
easily, now doesn't it?

>He'd be y-or-n'ing for days!

I suspect news.misc would have very few rules, if any, for precisely the
reason being mentioned.

Here, Brian, maybe *you* need a rule:

** You are responding to a member of the Brahms Gang.  It would improve
** matters immensely, net-bandwith-wise, if in trying to be clever with
** them logic-wise, you were also correct.

In article <47@ncar.ucar.edu>, woods@ncar (Greg Woods) writes:

>>	        I'm not trying to write any definitive rules right now.
>
>   But sooner or later you have to.

Not me.  But that I can get very close to the "right" rule about talk.ab-
ortion on my second try, without trying very hard, is indicative that the
writing of some such rules isn't going to be hard.  Obviously they can't
cover every situation--that *would* required impossibly advanced AI--and
just as obvious no one is proposing that these rules cover every situa-
tion.

>				     My point is that I do not believe that
>you can do so in any reliable way. Convince me I'm wrong (I am keeping an
>open mind) and I'll believe your proposal is a "good thing".

I'll let someone else do the convincing.  If a few people are seriously
interested in working this out, they'd presumably exchange "fairy stories"
and similar rules, and then try to knock each other's suggestions down,
until they reach some kind of stability.  Then they'd try to convince you.

>>The user is free to answer "no" to the "do we understand each other?"
>>question, ie, "No, Mr Computer Sir, you didn't understand me.  Shut up
>>and let me post."
>
>   Look at how many complaints we already get about the 50% rule.

And in retrospect it should have been experimented with a little more
heavily before it was installed net-wide.  I'm suggesting this very
proposal to those interested in writing rules-based screening for news
posting.

>								    This is
>more of the same, except that the heuristics are much more difficult to
>define in any meaningful way.

Exactly.  Whoever wants to write such a system has to work hard at it.

>>I see that you are not rebutting these [fairy] stories, but are pointing out
>>an external difficulty.  Is this a concession, then, that you agree that such
>>fairy stories, if implemented, would have a beneficial effect?
>
>  Well, there were over 100 lines of "fairy stories" and I only have
>so much time to read news :-) I personally think they might be beneficial,

Now how does this comment about "beneficial" square with your above comments
about "reliability" and "much more difficult"?  They didn't take much effort
to think up.

(Really, Greg, if you're trying to save time, then just agree with me!)

>but only if they are kept up-to-date.

So when will discouraging posted votes in news.groups go out of date??

>				       I really don't like the idea of hard-
>coding things for individual newsgroups into the posting software. It
>makes it much harder to change the newsgroup structure (including such
>things as renaming groups or deleting groups) and I think we need to
>retain maximum flexibility in this area.

You would be absolutely correct, if we were trying to set up a sophisti-
cated system, sniffing around for all possible violations of the "rules".

But something much more low-key, dealing mostly with the things that long
net.experience has determined are ungood--eg, vote-posting in news.groups
--is based on what's been with the net for a long time, and will probably
not go away, not become obsolete, and not need much in the way of mainta-
nance.

Whoever writes this kind of system has a lot of hard thinking to do.  But
I don't think he needs to do any advanced AI, which is what I was object-
ing to when I first got into this discussion.

>>And there's no point in trying it out if the re-
>>action from the backbone is a loud "hell no".  Remember junker?

>  Unless I explicitly say so, these are just my PERSONAL OPINIONS and do
>NOT, repeat NOT, represent any official position of the backbone.  [...]

>  And as for "hell no", I'm not ruling anything out completely. I just have
>to be convinced it will work and do some good before I would advocate having
>it included in the official news software distribution.

Exactly my point.  Whoever wants to write something like Brad suggested needs
to know ahead of time if there's going to be serious, permanent trouble or if
he merely needs to be slick with his programming and marketing skills.

>  All sorts of reasons, including such things as frequency and magnitude
>of changes. One reason people can get away with maintaining news as a 10th
>priority is that the software is stable and requires relatively few changes.

Since I envision that only things that long experience has agreed are a waste
of net.bandwidth, I don't see why it'll be more than a one-time change, and
not distributed separately but folded in with some later major news software
release.

>  Naturally, if you want to try something like this out on your own site,
>no one is stopping you. In general, I am against keyword-based news systems
>because they sound great in theory, but I don't believe they will work in
>practice.
Keyword-based news system try to classify everything, and must expand to
keep up with new topics or die.  These screening suggestions are just try-
ing to classify a few already well-known things.  All your objections seem
to be against the former.

>	   You're right in saying I don't KNOW they won't work, but you don't
>know they WILL.

Which is one of the reasons that I am not going to be writing such a system.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Emacs Weenie) (03/25/88)

I like it.  I've created a new form of rudeness!

In article <116@atpal.UUCP>, tneff@atpal (Tom Neff) writes:

>**  You seem to be posting yet another over-intelligent blocking message
>**  to be thrust in the face of poor net users trying to enjoy themselves.
>**  As you may have heard, these high-tech wet blankets are slowly choking
>**  the life out of what was once a raucous, wide-open discussion resource.

Ain't it a shame.  Those interested in those raucous wide-open "I vote yes"/
"I vote no" discussions might have to start their own in talk.bizarre, since
those high-tech wet blankets choked the life out of them in news.groups.

>**  Your latest contribution just might be the straw that breaks the camel's
>**  back.  I will post it if you absolutely insist, but don't blame me if this
>**  site is pushing up daisies in another two years, along with half the Net.

To really make those daisies grow, fertilize with endless reruns of toilet
seat UP! DOWN! UP! DOWN! UP! DOWN! discussions in soc.singles.

>**  Do we understand each other? (y or n)

Not yet.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (03/26/88)

>Here, Brian, maybe *you* need a rule:
>
>** You are responding to a member of the Brahms Gang.  It would improve
>** matters immensely, net-bandwith-wise, if in trying to be clever with
>** them logic-wise, you were also correct.
>
>** Do we understand each other? (y or n)

Even more realistic:

** You are responding to a member of the Brahms Gang. Do you realize that
** they don't care what you think if you disagree with them, and that
** posting rebuttals is a waste of your time and the net's bandwidth.
** Are you sure you want to do this, when it's been found that ignoring
** them completely is MUCH more effective? (n or n)

chuq (heh-heh)
Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                               Speed it up. Keep it Simple. Ship it on time.
                                                            -- Bill Atkinson

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (03/30/88)

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (a small gnews-ance) writes:

>Ask yourself: what would be the effect of ... "Velikovsky"
>Ask yourself: what would be the effect of ... cross-posting
>Ask yourself: what would be the effect of ... votes in news.groups
>Ask yourself: what would be the effect of ... long .sigs

I believe that the effect would most likely be a rather stiff resistance
to the use of this hypothetical news software.  The problem is, as it
is in all such situations, that the people who know enough to not do
rude and obnoxious things aren't going to be the problem, in main,
but they *WILL* have to deal with those who DON'T know enough, if not
on the Net, then in trying to deal with the folks who will demand to
know why the program won't let them post the latest Right-To-Life news
release to soc.women.  As a sysadmin, I rely on the good sense and
intelligence of the folks who use my system, and reserve the right to
judge them on their actual performance, and not against the perceived
Usenet mean.  I would prefer to be allowed to continue to take that
stand, rather than requiring the news software to act, even in miniature,
as Net.Cop.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate