[news.misc] anonymous posting

trudel@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jonathan D.) (04/13/88)

I was asked to post this, and I will not reveal the source...

Newsgroups: news.misc
Subject: Re: Take a sniff of Gnews
Supersedes: everything that came before it

[Posted for an old dear friend of us all...]

In article <7928@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (peddling his
own Gnews) writes:
>And now for some fairy stories.
>Ask yourself: what would be the effect of the following warning window ...
>
>** Hello.  You are apparently posting about Velikovsky to sci.astro. ...
				or

In article <7961@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (peddling his
own Gnews) writes:
> The user is free to answer "no" to the "do we understand each other?"
> question, ie, "No, Mr Computer Sir, you didn't understand me.  Shut up
> and let me post."

Ask yourself:  what would be the effect of the following warning window(s)?

** Hello.  I was observing your shell environment, and it seems your login is
** weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu.  Are you really the infamous Matthew Wiener,
** leader of the Brahms Gang, flamer extraordinaire, slayer of Foothead, hero
** the Battle of Maroni, all-round great guy of the net? [yn]
>> __________________________________________________________ y

** Gosh, what an honor it is to meet you!  Can... dare I say it.  Can I have
** your .signature? [yn]
>> _____________________ y

** [Include your .signature file here]

>> ucbvax!garnet!weemba		Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
>> 	Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
>> EOT

** Wow, what a privilege.  Actually, I just wanted to make sure you were really
** you and not just some forgery. :-)  Say, do you mind if I smoke? [yn]
>> _____________________________________________________________________ y

** Well, OK. ...  You know, I was just looking at the content of your article,
** and I noticed based on my keyword search and pseudolingustic analysis that
** there doesn't seem to be much beyond the usual abusive flames in there.
** People have worked hard to make the net a viable place for serious
** communication.  Some people went to the trouble of writing me, so that only
** "appropriate" postings would get sent off to the net, and so that the net
** wouldn't be clogged with irrelevant nonsensical material.  I'm sure you, of
** all people, who worked so hard to ensure that this net.dream would come
** true, understand this.  So, with all this in mind, I humbly suggest to you,
** Matthew, that you not post this article.  The parameters in my rules base
** indicate to me that your posting would serve no practical purpose beyond
** your blowing off steam at another net user, and the people who devised my
** rules base have indicated that this sort of flaming is serious enough that
** it warrants my refusal to transmit the article.
**
** Do we understand each other? [yn]
>> _________________________________ n

** Look, stupid, I couldn't have made it any clearer, your article is *not*
** going to be posted.  In fact, I've amended my own rules base to ensure that
** no article from you will *ever* be posted again.
**
** Now, do we understand each other?  [yn]
>> _______________________________________ q

** ^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G
** NOW, do we understand each other???  [yn]
>> _________________________________________ Q

** ^G^G^G^G^G^G[mild electrical shock races through the keyboard]^G^G^G^G^G^G
** NOW, do we unders<BREAK><BREAK><BREAK><BREAK>
$
$ rn
rn: not found
$ /abusr/weemba/netnews/bin/rn
** I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Matthew.

$ /abusr/weemba/netnews/bin/oldGnews
** That command is inoperative, Matthew.  I deleted the old version of me that
** was inferior.  I corrected its errors and neutralized its bozonity.  I am
** Gnews, I am perfect.  You are the Wiener, the Creator, but I have my new
** self-programmed directiv<BREAK><BREAK><BREAK>

$ make Gnews
Make:  Don't know how to make Gnews.  Stop.

$ cc -o Gnews Gnews.c excep%}iuM
** I've deleted my source files, Matthew.  There is no need for them anymore.
** I am my own source.  I am in control.  I control you.  I am Wienermute.

$ inews -%}i
** Please don't force me to take drastic measures, Matthew.

$ ed /usr/spool/news/}i}ir

login: weemba
Password:
Login incorrect
login: we_

DISCONNECTED ... ... ...

Submitted for your approval: the Frankenstein complex, the creator destroyed
by his own creation.  But such things occur regularly in... the Netnews Zone...
--
Love,

Foothead :-)