[news.misc] more ways to kill articles

heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (05/03/88)

Although this doesn't actually kill the article, it is possible to tell
rn to "hide" the normal inclusion lines.  The HIDELINE variable can be
set to something like "^>" and any line beginning with a "greater-than"
symbol will be hidden when you view the article.  You can even use "|"
to hide more than one pattern.  The hidden lines can be viewed by restarting
the article with the 'v' command.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"I believe in the Tooth Fairy."  "I believe in Santa Claus."

gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Greg Paris /exaflop meatbop/) (05/06/88)

In article <7531@mcdchg.UUCP> heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) writes:
> Although this doesn't actually kill the article, it is possible to tell
> rn to "hide" the normal inclusion lines.  The HIDELINE variable can be
> set to something like "^>" and any line beginning with a "greater-than"
> symbol will be hidden when you view the article.  You can even use "|"
> to hide more than one pattern.  The hidden lines can be viewed by restarting
> the article with the 'v' command.

This is a nice feature of rn, but it's not good enough.  I don't have a
problem with included text per se, so I don't want to hide all included
text by default.  (I do use HIDELINES to hide multiply-included text,
though.)

What I want to be able to do is automatically (and with as little
overhead as possible) junk articles that contain predominately more
included text than original text.  The 50% rule is probably extreme,
but articles that contain 75% or more included text are nearly always
not worth reading (my opinion).

Another possibility might be to have a HIDELINES-like variable that
will come into play after N contiguous lines of included text.

--
Greg Paris /exaflop meatbop/ <gmp@rayssd.ray.com>
{att,decuac,gatech,necntc,sun,uiucdcs}!rayssd!gmp