[news.misc] E-mail reply

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (05/18/88)

In article <120@lakart.UUCP>, dg@lakart (David Goodenough) writes:
>There is always the vn approach - it prints a list of all likely looking
>addresses it can find in the article, and you get to play multiple choice,
>OR you just type in by hand where you want it to go. I've never had a problem
>with it (plug plug for vn :-) :-)

You can do most of this in rn with the appropriate MAILHEADER and vi macros,
but this only gets reinvented over and over again.

Gnews comes with sample functions to do this particular customization; the
default is like Rnmail  Also, Gnews provides some kludgy path-aliasing/clean-
ing functions for the benefit of those who've implemented RFC 915.

Best of all, if you need to go back to the article and grab a path from the
signature, you just switch buffers.  I estimate I get > 90% of my e-mail
through with almost no effort spent on finding a working path.

(Being in Berkeley helps, of course, as does study of mail paths in all
those flames I've received over the years.  Many thanks!)

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720