[news.misc] crossposting

tracer@stb.UUCP (Jeff Boeing) (05/29/88)

Several people, particularly readers of alt.sex, have expressed their dislike
of all the cross-posted messages on their newsfroup.  (er, excuse me,
newsGroup.)  It is too much trouble, they feel, to "k"ill all the cross-posted
drivel one topic at a time.
   Ergo, I would like to propose a new global kill command that would mark as
read all articles in a particular newsgroup that were cross-posted to other
groups.  The readers could then go to the other groups and read them there.
This sounds like a simple and effective way to quell a lot of bitching.

wisner@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (06/04/88)

>   Ergo, I would like to propose a new global kill command that would mark as
>read all articles in a particular newsgroup that were cross-posted to other
>groups.

Drop the line

/Newsgroups: *,*/hj

Or something similar into rn's global KILL file. Note that that regexp may
be totally wrong..
--
Bill Wisner
..!{ames,att,decwrl,ihnp4,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!wisner