[news.misc] Distribution Enhancement Proposal

lazer@mnetor.UUCP (Lazer Danzinger) (06/03/88)

    Although USENET supports the distribution of articles based on
    geographically expanding domains from the poster's site, e.g.,
    local->toronto->ontario->canada->na->world; the support of "remote"
    distribution would also be appreciated, and I think useful at times.
    By "remote" distribution, I mean the ability to post an article, let's
    say from here in Toronto, with a distribution limited to Los Angeles or
    California.

    Has this idea been considered before? Would it entail considerable
    effort to implement?

Lazer Danzinger | "Ben Zoma said, 'Who is wise?  One who learns from every
lazer@mnetor	|  person...Who is courageous?  One who conquers his
	 	|  [evil] inclination...Who is wealthy?  One who is
		|  satisfied with his portion...Who is respected?  One who
(416)475-8980 	|  respects his fellow man...'"		-- Avot 4:1

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (06/03/88)

In article <4609@mnetor.UUCP> lazer@mnetor.UUCP (Lazer Danzinger) writes:

>    Although USENET supports the distribution of articles based on
>    geographically expanding domains from the poster's site, e.g.,
>    local->toronto->ontario->canada->na->world; the support of "remote"
>    distribution would also be appreciated, and I think useful at times.
>    By "remote" distribution, I mean the ability to post an article, let's
>    say from here in Toronto, with a distribution limited to Los Angeles or
>    California.

The problem here is that news is only passed to other sites whose sys file
entry contains the distribution in the article.  If I wanted to post "nj",
the article would go nowhere, since none of my news neighbors takes "nj".

There are two improvements I would like to see.  The first creation of
regional distributions.  It is really annoying to see "Car for sale"
postings from from New Jersey posted with "us" (or more likely "world")
distribution because they want the posting to go to New York or
Pennsylvania.  The cost here is zero, so why not do it?

The other, which would require inews changes, is to establish a list of
gateways for non-local distribution areas and have inews mail postings
to the gateways.  The mechanism is similar to the moderated posting
currently performed by inews.
--
*   *   O     Larry Blair
  *   *   O   VICOM Systems Inc.     sun!pyramid----\

charles@c3engr.UUCP (Charles Green) (06/05/88)

What if* someone in the "ca" distribution area set up their "recnews"(?)
software to post articles mailed to "ca_gate",  and I created a moderated
group called "ca" and set my "mailpaths" file up to mail postings there?

If I wanted to post to "misc.forsale" with a "ca" distribution, I would
crosspost to both "misc.forsale" and "ca".  Because, as was discussed in an
unrelated topic, the software by design mails this article to the moderator
of "ca" and does *not* post it to "misc.forsale", the intended effect is
achieved.

The only hole I see in this plan (other than the bizarre act of cross-posting
to distributions as if they were newsgroups - but see below for an even more
twisted idea!) is that a shell script or other program is needed to take "ca"
out of the Newsgroups line and put it into the Distribution line before feeding
the result to "recnews".

___________________
*"What if" is a trademark of Hewlett-Packard :-)

In article <638@vsi1.UUCP> lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) writes:
>In article <4609@mnetor.UUCP> lazer@mnetor.UUCP (Lazer Danzinger) writes:
>>    By "remote" distribution, I mean the ability to post an article, let's
>>    say from here in Toronto, with a distribution limited to Los Angeles or
>>    California.

>The problem here is that news is only passed to other sites whose sys file
>entry contains the distribution in the article.  If I wanted to post "nj",
>the article would go nowhere, since none of my news neighbors takes "nj".

Unless you used both distributions "nj" and "to.nj", and one of your neighbors
agreed to accept "to.nj" because one of *his* neighbors *does* take "nj"...

>There are two improvements I would like to see.	...
>The other, which would require inews changes, is to establish a list of
>gateways for non-local distribution areas and have inews mail postings
>to the gateways.  The mechanism is similar to the moderated posting
>currently performed by inews.
--
#ident	"@(#).signature	1.5 :~charles/s..signature 04/27/88 21:40:43"
TwoBitNet: 460 Herndon Pkwy, Herndon, VA 22091-1928	UUCP:decuac!c3*!charles