[news.misc] I Wish I Were An ...

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (05/24/88)

[The replied-to article appeared in news.groups,talk.bizarre,sci.math.]

In article <5643@chinet.UUCP>, rissa@chinet (Patricia O Tuama) writes:

>John Woods [et al have] pointed out that most cross-posting is done by
>people who never read t.b but who want to make some sort of point
>or spin a certain discussion out of the newsgroup from which it
>originated.

I did cross-post into t.b.  Guilty!  I did not want to make a point;
I wanted to get a discussion out of s.m.  However, most of the com-
plaints have been about a gratuitous t.b inclusion, with no follow-
up control, by people who have zilch conception of t.b.

I had originally cross-posted to alt.flame, and decided against it.
I figured bizarrhoids could make hay with my name, but I guess the
days of "I wish I were a Gene Smith Rosen Wiener" are long gone.  I
suppose I figured wrong.

>Now I liked this article that weemba wrote and I'm glad he posted
>it to talk.bizarre.

Thank you and you're welcome.  In contrast, I do not appreciate this
particular cross-posting of yours into s.m: that group could care less
for a metadiscussion about t.b and cross-posting.  (My own article was
borderline at best--but it was at least following the context of a pre-
vious s.m discussion, in classic net.tradition.)

>		      But the next time certain people go into hys-
>terics about cross-posting, I suggest that they look back at this
>all too frequent example of someone cross-posting TO talk.bizarre
>and not FROM it.

Now wait a moment.  How can my one posting be "all too frequent"?
I are confused.

>		   And I'm sure we can find many others.

I suspect our articles together support John's contention: I do look
at t.b occasionally, but I don't think you look at s.m.  In particular,
I strongly favor software restrictions that require a user subscribe
to a newsgroup in order to post into it.

In particular, if your article is just so *important* that the readers
of alt.pinheads have *got* to see it, then you the poster should be will-
ing to go find out what alt.pinheads is really about.  And if you're not
willing, it just *couldn't* have been that important.

I would be more than happy to see more obnoxious rules made for articles
--or perhaps just followups--posted to say 3 or more newsgroups.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

gf@dasys1.UUCP (G Fitch) (05/31/88)

In article <5643@chinet.UUCP> rissa@chinet.UUCP (Patricia O Tuama) writes:
}There has been a lot of discussion here lately about crossposting
}between other newsgroups and talk.bizarre with the result that
}t.b always gets flamed for excessive cross-posts.  ....
}                    .... [T]he next time certain people go into hys-
}terics about cross-posting, I suggest that they look back at this
}all too frequent example of someone cross-posting TO talk.bizarre
}and not FROM it.  And I'm sure we can find many others.

I welcome crossposts "into" talk.bizarre.  We had a lot of fun with
the lawn darts, and I'm sure the regular readers of misc.consumers
found a whole new outlook on life.  The crossposts almost always
come from outside, because a true talk.bizarre reader begins to see
everything as bizarre, and forgets that there _are_ other newsgroups --
I mean, newsfroups.

Although you're right in saying that outsiders should get off our
case about volume and cross-postings, since it's really _their_
fault, I'm afraid we're always going to be the victims of bigotry
and prejudice, as the great minds and geniuses have always been.
--
G Fitch	        				{uunet}!mstan\
The Big Electric Cat     {ihnp4,harvard,philabs}!cmcl2!cucard!dasys1!gf

jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) (06/07/88)

In article <10260@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
}I did cross-post into t.b.  Guilty!  I did not want to make a point;
}I wanted to get a discussion out of s.m.  However, most of the com-
}plaints have been about a gratuitous t.b inclusion, with no follow-
}up control, by people who have zilch conception of t.b.

And when I wanted views on a topic other than one narrow specific group
I cross-posted it at the locations that might know the information.

And for that YOU flamed!  For shame.

}I had originally cross-posted to alt.flame, and decided against it.

Sounds like a good idea.....

}Thank you and you're welcome.  In contrast, I do not appreciate this
}particular cross-posting of yours into s.m: that group could care less
}for a metadiscussion about t.b and cross-posting.  (My own article was
}borderline at best--but it was at least following the context of a pre-
}vious s.m discussion, in classic net.tradition.)

For those that care less, ignore.
Everyone else should edit their newsgroups line for follow-ups.
No problem.

}
}Now wait a moment.  How can my one posting be "all too frequent"?
}I are confused.

Me, too.  One posting, and omgs went off line on me.
You seem to be lacking consistency.  Bad deal for a mathman.....

}I do look
}at t.b occasionally, but I don't think you look at s.m.  In particular,
}I strongly favor software restrictions that require a user subscribe
}to a newsgroup in order to post into it.

that sounds reasonable.  Unless someone is going to read it, why post?

}
}I would be more than happy to see more obnoxious rules made for articles
}--or perhaps just followups--posted to say 3 or more newsgroups.

Some serious restrictions on follow-ups does seem justified.
Like maybe only to the source group.  Someone is going to post to
a group, they should subscribe to it to see follow-ups!

Disclaimer: Individuals have opinions, organizations have policy.
            Therefore, these opinions are mine and not any organizations!
Q.E.D.
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 128.244.65.5  (James W. Meritt)

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (06/11/88)

A dull little flame follows.

Rated PG-rot13.  May be too intense for younger children.

Lbh xabj Wvz--lbh'ir tbg bar bs gur nofbyhgryl jbefg frafrf bs jung or-
ybatf va n tvira arjftebhc gung V'ir rire frra.  Vs lbh jnag gb wrex bss
orpnhfr n ovt onq tenq fghqrag uheg lbhe srryvatf, gura cbfg gb nyg.synzr.

BX, oevtug obl?

Va negvpyr <676@ncypbzz.HHPC>, wjz@fgqp (Wvz Zrevgg) jevgrf:
>Naq jura V jnagrq ivrjf ba n gbcvp bgure guna bar aneebj fcrpvsvp tebhc
>V pebff-cbfgrq vg ng gur ybpngvbaf gung zvtug xabj gur vasbezngvba.

>Naq sbe gung LBH synzrq!

Jebat.  V synzrq lbh sbe cbfgvat nobhg fpv-sv fcrphyngvbaf gb 4-5 tebhcf
ng n gvzr.  Gur fpv.* tebhcf hfhnyyl qb abg yvxr gung.  Abg bar ovg.

>			   Sbe funzr.

Gur funzr vf lbhef, sbe orvat fhpu n cbbe yvne.

>Rirelbar ryfr fubhyq rqvg gurve arjftebhcf yvar sbe sbyybj-hcf.
>Ab ceboyrz.

Lbh ner boivbhfyl n enax arjpbzre gb gur arg.  Vg vf n engure pbzzba
ceboyrz.

>}Abj jnvg n zbzrag.  Ubj pna zl bar cbfgvat or "nyy gbb serdhrag"?
>}V ner pbashfrq.

>Zr, gbb.  Bar cbfgvat, naq bztf jrag bss yvar ba zr.

Ohg lbh ner abg pbashfrq.  Lbh tbg rkcynangvbaf.  V pregnvayl qvq abg
fnl lbhe bar cbfgvat jnf "nyy gbb serdhrag".

Sbe rknzcyr, lbhe erprag cbfgvat bs ~20 pbafrphgvir negvpyrf va n ebj
gb fbp.jbzra vf "nyy gbb serdhrag".

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720